PDA

View Full Version : What makes a Sus expensive?

pgclee
23-08-2005, 12:20 PM
I have not much knowledge about why Suspension varies in price...

Comparing 4 brand...

Zeal, Tein, Ohlins and Aragusta...

Lets say Top of the line...

All i know is that diff material makes them expensive...

And i know that Aragusta can goes up to 12k Aud per set...haha...and i heard is damn good...but what makes it so good?

revNhevN
23-08-2005, 12:27 PM
research and development. also because top of the line stuff is not mass produced, manufacturing costs are higher.

bennjamin
23-08-2005, 12:32 PM
as said - R+D , and ofcourse BRAND NAME.

But , more often than not , brand name + R+D go hand in hand.

aaronng
23-08-2005, 01:14 PM
because.... Nothin' Suss!

But yeah, R&D to make the sussy work with the car to handle better yet still remain comfortable. Also they use better materials to last longer. I've seen pics of cheap coilovers where the part that backs against the spring bent from the spring force after 1 year of use.

e240
23-08-2005, 01:29 PM
And i know that Aragusta can goes up to 12k Aud per set...haha...and i heard is damn good...but what makes it so good?

Yeah, but how many people actually need (or even, are able to) utilise the adjustability available. Yeah, the bling and boast factor that my shocks have got this and that and more often than not, you see cars with branded shocks, overly lowered bouncing all over the road.

I have full race ohlins on my Ducati and they're pliant, firm but pliant...and I don't even full use of the adjustability available

Before choosing a set, you need to know what you're going to do with them first.

wynode
23-08-2005, 01:40 PM
Better valving for shocks.........tighter tolerances, higher quality components that will last longer ?

pgclee
23-08-2005, 02:11 PM
I tot R&D for this kinda Race Sussy is not meant for Comfortable ride...? So u mean that it does consider the "Person" who bought the Suss and they would have tot that 18kg stiffness would give them a good ride?? hmmm

Development of Suss by so many brand, you name it yourself, i think most of those that are able to be driven on street are just some gimic to con others as it doesn't gives that much of potential to users (just lowering thats all)...i guess the Variety of Suss around are just to satisfied other customers with their brand huh...

This is like...A BMW would come out with a 40k aud car, but Ferrari Wouldn't huh...i guess Brands does play a big part...

joyride
23-08-2005, 02:28 PM
and thats the way the cookie crumbles

aaronng
23-08-2005, 02:57 PM
I tot R&D for this kinda Race Sussy is not meant for Comfortable ride...? So u mean that it does consider the "Person" who bought the Suss and they would have tot that 18kg stiffness would give them a good ride?? hmmm

Development of Suss by so many brand, you name it yourself, i think most of those that are able to be driven on street are just some gimic to con others as it doesn't gives that much of potential to users (just lowering thats all)...i guess the Variety of Suss around are just to satisfied other customers with their brand huh...

This is like...A BMW would come out with a 40k aud car, but Ferrari Wouldn't huh...i guess Brands does play a big part...
What about racing spec suss that can be used on the street comfortably, like the ones on the Enzo?

pgclee
23-08-2005, 05:00 PM
What about racing spec suss that can be used on the street comfortably, like the ones on the Enzo?

Haha...Dude, Have you even Been in a 360 Modena? and Do you know hows the Ride like? and you think Ferrari's ride are comfortable...hmm....Super cars are not meant for Comfortable ride...they are meant to perform...i think every Ferrari Owner knows that...

aaronng
23-08-2005, 05:17 PM
Haha...Dude, Have you even Been in a 360 Modena? and Do you know hows the Ride like? and you think Ferrari's ride are comfortable...hmm....Super cars are not meant for Comfortable ride...they are meant to perform...i think every Ferrari Owner knows that...
I know it's rough. But it's not as harsh as most self-modified cars with the suspension set up for autox.

vincent
25-08-2005, 05:56 PM
Quality & Construction of the product, Would you compromised your own safety for a lower pricing of a product that lacks proper R&D and experience.

You should be able to use a low spring rate damper and a damping rate adjusted according to remain comfortable around the street.

Limbo
28-08-2005, 08:51 AM
you'll find most of the expensive ones can take harder springs and still have very good damping compared to the cheaper ones. They also make you handle a hell of a lot better. BUt all depends on your setup and what road conditions are and how fast you wanna go...