PDA

View Full Version : best oil for my EG

raff
19-02-2004, 08:49 PM
hey!!
i was jus wonderin wat is the best suited oil for my EG with d16y sohc vtec??????

and if i change the oil do i neda change the oil filter??

McChook
19-02-2004, 08:51 PM
Honda or Mobil 1 sw65 or whatever

vti-2
19-02-2004, 09:00 PM
Use the search function.

http://www.ozhonda.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=502&highlight=oil

And yes, if you change the oil, the oil filter MUST be changed. If you are unsure what oil to get, consult the Honda manual for that model and if you don't have it just go see a Honda dealer and they will recommend the best viscosity oil to get.

ATSE
19-02-2004, 09:06 PM
Cheap: Castrol Magnatec Semi Synthetic, Honda FEO Mineral
Moderate: Mobil 1, Castrol Formula R, Shell Helix Ultra (Full Synthetic)
Expensive: Motul 300v, Redline, Royal Purple, Agip, Elf (Full Synthetic Racing Oil)

To be honest.. if ur driving it normally around the city, and giving it a squirt now and then... just buy the cheap one and change every 5000km.

And yes advisable to change oil filter every oil change. Try and buy the original honda one...

vti-2
19-02-2004, 09:15 PM
Honda FEO will be perfect for your car. Don't waste your money on more expensive oils (like the Mobil's etc ATSE mentioned) cause they aren't that much better than the FEO. Yes they are fully synthetic but it doesn't mean it is going to make your car's engine run that much better. Fully synthetic oils are very thin which warm up quicker, therefore lubricating all your engine parts quicker. Honda FEO essentially does the same thing in the same amount of time. Honda wouldn't go to the trouble of making FEO and use it to service their cars if it wasn't good. :)

I'll put it to you this way, Honda dealers in Australia service their cars with Honda FEO, this includes performance models including the Type-R's. And they run perfectly fine. ;)

ATSE
19-02-2004, 09:20 PM
what Vic said... :D

raff
19-02-2004, 09:22 PM
ah ok then!!!
but the dearer ones surely must be better????

is it difficult to change the oil filter?? would i be able to do a DIY home job with it........and what oil filter do i get????

vti-2
19-02-2004, 09:29 PM
ah ok then!!!

is it difficult to change the oil filter?? would i be able to do a DIY home job with it........and what oil filter do i get????

Why would the dearer ones be better? Cause it costs more? Take my advice on board and save money! Get the FEO! :thumbsup:

How difficult is it to change the filter? Not that hard if you have the right tools. Read the thread below on changing an oil filter.

http://www.ozhonda.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2217&highlight=changing+oil+filter

It's 'recommended' to replace your oil filter with a genuine Honda one. Having said that, i've used Ryco filters before (available from Autobahn etc) and it worked fine.

ATSE
19-02-2004, 09:57 PM

Better? Yes.. but for what application. A daily driver like yours who i don't think has even seen the track, why would you want to buy racing oil??? The purpose of racing oil is to keep its properties intact whilst tackling high race temperatures. You will not see these temperatures whilst drving daily... thus why do you need to spend so much on oil? As Vic stated, synthetic is good cause it flows through the engine faster, but semi synthetic and dino oil is just as good. It still does the job by protecting your engine by avoiding metal to metal contact and keeps components cool.

raff
19-02-2004, 09:58 PM
kool thanx fella's

now....where do i get the honda oil and honda oil filter from????????

ATSE
19-02-2004, 10:00 PM
Just from your local honda dealer...

FEO should be under 30 bux
and the filter around 10-15 bux

vti-2
19-02-2004, 10:01 PM
kool thanx fella's

now....where do i get the honda oil and honda oil filter from????????

*sigh*

A Honda dealer mate. You can't go wrong there.

civicboy
19-02-2004, 10:02 PM
vti-2 is right; honda engine oil is gr8 as well
ive been usin it since hehehehe ;)

go to any Honda dealer & ask for Honda engine oil & oil filter

bennjamin
19-02-2004, 10:06 PM
And remember...

For older engines ( 5 years +)you should use a slightly thicker viscocity rated oil - ( such as 15-30w etc) for extra lubication for older, worn engines ;)

raff
19-02-2004, 10:09 PM
mad!!

thanx heaps fella's...appreciate the help!

ATSE
19-02-2004, 10:33 PM
since im nice...

PARTS
481a La Trobe Terrace
GEELONG, VIC, 3220
Phone (03) 5221 2451
Fax (03) 5224 2885
Parts enquiry

assuming u live in Geelong

raff
19-02-2004, 10:46 PM
haahah
mate 2 good...thanx heaps bro

s2k
20-02-2004, 12:06 AM
hey benjamin, does honda make the 15-30w oil for the older car, if so is it the feo, or do we have to get a non honda brand?

just another question, is there a special feo oil for the type r?
if so is it possibe to use it on the b16a?
thanks

bizee_1
20-02-2004, 05:12 AM
firstly, let me iterate what others have said. You can't go wrong with Honda FEO oil. Think of it as, a genuine Honda part (so to speak).

well since we're on the topic of oil & inparticular Honda FEO oil.

s2k, i think there are two types of Honda FEO oil that i've seen.
FEO 20W-50 & High Performance FEO 10W-30.

I "imagine" typically they use the HP FEO 10W-30 on all dohc vtec engines (not sure about the S2000 or NSX though), and the other one for the rest of the passenger car engines (not sure about sohc vtec).

Anyhow, i was wondering if anyone knew if the HP FEO 10W-30 is mineral, semi-synthetic or fully synthetic ?

ATSE
20-02-2004, 09:38 AM
http://asia.vtec.net/topics/oil1.html

But that's in malaysia...
But i remember a few years back, Honda did have a FEO that was semi-synthetic especially made for DOHC VTEC engines.. but then stopped producing it.

bizee_1
20-02-2004, 02:55 PM
Thanks ATSE. Think i might email them too.

This is from Honda AUS website, but the link isn't working properly. This is what i could get :

Honda FEO (SAE 10W-30 API SJ) is a Genuine Honda Engine Oil that has been specifically formulated by Honda Motor Company for use in all Honda high performance engines (including VTEC and i-VTEC). The inherent properties of Honda FEO will ensure maximum protection for your engine whilst maintaining peak performance and fuel economy.
http://www.honda.com.au/buying+a+honda/parts/parts_oil.jpg

vti-2
20-02-2004, 03:08 PM
Thanks ATSE. Think i might email them too.

This is from Honda AUS website, but the link isn't working properly. This is what i could get :

Honda FEO (SAE 10W-30 API SJ) is a Genuine Honda Engine Oil that has been specifically formulated by Honda Motor Company for use in all Honda high performance engines (including VTEC and i-VTEC). The inherent properties of Honda FEO will ensure maximum protection for your engine whilst maintaining peak performance and fuel economy.
http://www.honda.com.au/buying+a+honda/parts/parts_oil.jpg

That's the stuff i use. :D

genesis
20-02-2004, 03:15 PM
same :-)

wil
20-02-2004, 04:02 PM
i was told by the honda service, that there oil is the same as shell helix, but they just buy in bigger drums.....

Nuttz
20-02-2004, 08:20 PM
heres what i got told at the honda dealer:
the current FEO stuff is too thin (10-30w) and the car would consume oil if i used it . the oil that was reccomended to me was castrol gtx3 15-40w
so thats the stuff i use.. not expensive either.

vti-2
21-02-2004, 08:01 AM
i was told by the honda service, that there oil is the same as shell helix, but they just buy in bigger drums.....

Who told you? The bloke doing the oil change?

vti-2
21-02-2004, 08:03 AM
the current FEO stuff is too thin (10-30w) and the car would consume oil if i used it .

You serious? Which dealer? :?:

wil
22-02-2004, 08:50 PM
they use 10w 30... the honda place in Prahran...

bennjamin
22-02-2004, 09:12 PM
the current FEO stuff is too thin (10-30w) and the car would consume oil if i used it .

You serious? Which dealer? :?:

ITs a fact that the FEO oil is alittle thin for older engines...and does get drunk by our old "ZC's" - well , im my experience anyway.

Nuttz
23-02-2004, 10:52 PM
i went to the one in oakleigh

Kit
26-02-2004, 04:02 PM
I don't really want to confuse you. but this is just my experience:

With the EK4, I used to use Mobil 1 10W30 (gold label stuff only available from the distributor) which I religiously changed it every 5000km.

It only came in 1L bottles or 20L drums. I know the way i drove it, it probably didnt need an oil change that soon, but I'm just @nal :)

In the good 'ol days (i know mobil have modified their formula recently) the Mobil 1 5W50 and 15W50 from KMart and such wasnt strictly speaking a "full synthetic".

The 10W30 gold label oil was good stuff, you can actually feel the difference (probably cos the oil was thinner too). It just revved up alot free-er with less restriction. from my highly inaccurate seat_of_my_pants dyno, mid range torque felt noticeably stronger too.

With the KMart mobil 1 stuff I used to get a fair bit of oil consumption too, with the 10W30, so such problems.

Chris

ginganggooly
26-02-2004, 05:32 PM
i believe the 10w-30 mobil is on sale now at certain distributors for about $85/5L. i'm going to try it out for my next change.

up till now i've been running around with castrol formula R 5w-30 with no complaints.

mobil1 semi synthetic 5w-50 and shell helix ultra needed about 1000ml added every 5k km. the castrol usually needs about 500ml in the same period.

i don't know what the deal is there, but i feel better about using the castrol.

Kit
26-02-2004, 09:52 PM
i believe the 10w-30 mobil is on sale now at certain distributors for about $85/5L. i'm going to try it out for my next change.

up till now i've been running around with castrol formula R 5w-30 with no complaints.

mobil1 semi synthetic 5w-50 and shell helix ultra needed about 1000ml added every 5k km. the castrol usually needs about 500ml in the same period.

i don't know what the deal is there, but i feel better about using the castrol.

Ginganggooly,
is this the new Mobil 1 with SuperSyn?
anyone tried this oil and how was it?

The castrol formula R 5w30 that you are using, is that the one in the new bottle? cos I believe castrol rebadged all their oils with the "R" name.
In the old castrol bottles there was an SLX (10W30) that was pretty good stuff too, about comparable to the Mobil 1 10W30.

I've been running around on Castrol R 10W60 in the S15 for 20,000km now and its pretty good, never needs a top up either.

Chris

Sypherg
26-02-2004, 11:27 PM
Motul 300v chrono is pretty good.