PDA

View Full Version : modifications worthwhile?

LiKPiC
23-08-2005, 04:50 PM
My car is a '99 4 door Civic Gli

So it's a 1.6L SOHC, non-vtec

Is there a point to modifications? If so, what would ppl recommend?

Or is modifying pointless because the engine is inherently limited?

Right now, everything is pure stock...except my head unit and new headlight bulbs. :p

Opinions?

heist
23-08-2005, 04:54 PM
B16a!

type one
23-08-2005, 04:56 PM
i reckon modifications are a waste of money full stop to any car. Save your dosh up and buy a nicer car :)

Like an S2000 :)

barefootbonzai
23-08-2005, 05:04 PM
At the end of the day it's up to you. I would prefer my own personalised Civic that I can work on and improve then have a S2000. But type_one is correct, cars are a big waste of money. But for me it's about the fun that the car brings me, so i think it's worth every penny.

SiReal
23-08-2005, 05:06 PM
save your money and invest in soem shares my friend. Its really kinda stupid putting all ur money in something that doesnt appreciate. the only mods i'll do are sound system. and spend 1k or so. nothing more. (well thats what I did)

egSi
23-08-2005, 05:07 PM
u must 1st decide ur goal for the car, then u decide the best path to take.

the lil d16 can certainly be built upon but with any mod there r pros and cons.

whats the goal for ur car mate?

Weq
23-08-2005, 05:38 PM
checkout my thread above for idea's. No much avaible NA wise though for the non-vtec (as far as the head is concerned). mini-me vtec is a good option, which gives u more variety.

jackosimm
23-08-2005, 05:48 PM
I did no engine mod's to my GLI simply because I found it pointless. If anything, sell it buy a vti or vtir then do some work! Just my opinion.

mugeneration
23-08-2005, 06:21 PM
yeah most you should do is maybe a nice (not rice) exhaust, wheels and sound system. Anything else is a waste of money really. If you upgrade your car to a vti then you can just bring your sound system and wheels right on over to your new car. Thats what ive done, though ive turned off buyin a vti, gunna save for a while longer, get me an s2000..... mmmmm

JDMTMY
23-08-2005, 06:30 PM
At the end of the day it's up to you. I would prefer my own personalised Civic that I can work on and improve then have a S2000. But type_one is correct, cars are a big waste of money. But for me it's about the fun that the car brings me, so i think it's worth every penny.

well said duy..haha. also depends on if you have the money to spend and if your patient and willing to put time and effort into you car. i know i have the time..just no money :(

Lukezen27
23-08-2005, 06:31 PM
yeah most you should do is maybe a nice (not rice) exhaust, wheels and sound system. Anything else is a waste of money really. If you upgrade your car to a vti then you can just bring your sound system and wheels right on over to your new car. Thats what ive done, though ive turned off buyin a vti, gunna save for a while longer, get me an s2000..... mmmmm

What happend to turn you off buyin a vti?

Grate little cars and cheap as hell to run :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

e240
23-08-2005, 06:32 PM
My car is a '99 4 door Civic Gli
Or is modifying pointless because the engine is inherently limited?
Opinions?

Modifications are never worthwhile. You do it only because you want it and you can afford it I guess.

Always remember, any mods are are sunk costs. You be prepared to lose big time.

Before you mod, think about what you want from the car, can you get that from saving the money and buying another car? etc etc...

Then there are times you go mad...like I did with my bike...
but then, my bike was rewarding...Sepang Intl Racetrack was one, cruising at 200++ km/h non stop for a couple of hours was another...*sigh*

jdmcivic
23-08-2005, 07:10 PM
You wont get much out of it unless you got the $$$, just save up for a quicker car.

Zdster
23-08-2005, 08:53 PM
Like others have said I tend to think that it depends on what you want from your car.

LiKPiC
24-08-2005, 03:54 PM
alright. thanks ppl for your opinions. =)

nexace
24-08-2005, 05:56 PM
I agree...spent too much on mods :(

And they aren't worth much when you sell the car.

paulosportz
25-08-2005, 10:45 AM
all i can say is,
its a hobbie thats going to cost you a shit load of money!
but since ur just begining to mod your car,

tryyyyyyyy and keep everything legal! do some research about the mod before hand and find out if it will be legal

because cops will give you a hard time

ive got a total of 5 defects so far

especially how p-platers/car enthusiats/car hoons are always targeted by cops

and keep in mind, when u do ssell ur car, you will prolly get 1/4 of the money u spent on modifcations back.

nexace
25-08-2005, 04:10 PM
Well...yesterday's news was a good example.

Laner
26-08-2005, 12:56 AM
if it aint got the grunt.... pimp it out!!! big rims, as low as legally possible, a neat exhaust, install some grooves and cruise it. u can only go so fast anyway!

ATSEK4
27-08-2005, 06:02 PM
HD Clutch + lightened flywheel + 5.0 final drive = Good enough.
intake + exhaust.

FR33K
27-08-2005, 06:28 PM
save your money and invest in soem shares my friend. Its really kinda stupid putting all ur money in something that doesnt appreciate. the only mods i'll do are sound system. and spend 1k or so. nothing more. (well thats what I did)

does everything in life have to do with making money ??
how about just enjoying as a hobby ??

at the end of the day it will come down to if u have money to waste or not..
if u think your gonna get much power out of modding it well then ur not..
but if u enjoy modding then do it..
but if i was you id go for looks if u wanna mod anything