PDA

View Full Version : Correct method to run in a turbz motor

BiGANG
23-08-2005, 06:10 PM
Hey guys,

One of my mates got a turbo build done to his charade. The guy building his motor is tuning it whilst running boost. I am curious to know how other tuners run in their built motors whether with/without or on low boost. Also with new car manufacturers i assume when the motors are running being run in they are still running normal boost levels. I am just curious how this is done by the pros.

Weq
23-08-2005, 06:13 PM
Everyone has there own opinions. Id work around what the specific engine builder's experience is. I will be going 1000k's without boost.

poid
23-08-2005, 06:46 PM
is the engine fresh from a rebuild? If so, the builder will run it in the way he always does. If its a used engine, then boost away

saxman
24-08-2005, 04:07 AM
freshly rebuilt engine I would break in, THEN turbo after the motor is broken in

poweredbyhonda
24-08-2005, 08:12 AM
It should be limited to certain rpms, power and minimal boost. The tuner shouldn't have it fully tuned until it has been worn in properly. The mechanic should use semi synthetic oil which doesn't burn like the fully synthetic one while the motor is running in. I took mine in after 5000 kms. You would still need to have the head re tightened just in case. Better to be safe than sorry.

joyride
24-08-2005, 12:01 PM
my mechanic kept boost cut at 4psi and rev limit at 4500rpm on my new turbo'd engine.
we changed the oil and re-torqued the head at 500km.
i drove it around for another 2000km trying to avoid long trips (short trips where the engine is hot/cold/hot/cold was his idea - something to do with pistons).
after 2500kms, the boost cut and rev limit was removed and the car was tuned.

sounds similar to other peoples suggestions. your mate should listen to his mechanic.

btw, we used regular multigrade oil while running the car in with unleaded fuel. however upon tuning it received a full tank of 98RON petrol.
synethic oil still hasnt been used yet until the engine is fully worn in (prob 5000km)

BiGANG
24-08-2005, 03:07 PM
Yeh, it was a fresh rebuild. The engine builder is running 8psi boost with no rev cut and has already retorqued the head, its been just under 800kms. He is using mineral oil too. He will tune it on big boost at 3000kms apparently. This sounds pretty normal.

Another question.. If the turbo setup is already installed, how do u run no boost? Just have it so the wastegate stays open? Doesnt that damage the turbo?

saxman
24-08-2005, 04:33 PM
Yeh, it was a fresh rebuild. The engine builder is running 8psi boost with no rev cut and has already retorqued the head, its been just under 800kms. He is using mineral oil too. He will tune it on big boost at 3000kms apparently. This sounds pretty normal.

Another question.. If the turbo setup is already installed, how do u run no boost? Just have it so the wastegate stays open? Doesnt that damage the turbo?
generally you would either disconnect the wastegate flapper from the arm(internal gate) or remove the spring from the wastegate(external gate)

ProECU
24-08-2005, 04:46 PM
Mr Widmer's run in procedure....

Use a Honda engine oil filter ONLY!!!

Use a 30W, non-detergent, non-synthetic engine oil ONLY!!!

DO NOT take the engine over 3,500 RPM during the first 300 kms of operation. You can increase the maximum engine speed by 500 RPM for every additional 300 miles of operation.

DO NOT operate the engine in a "steady state" mode (no open-road driving).
Change the oil and filter after 1,600 kms of operation.
Synthetic or non-synthetic engine oil can be used.
Use either Mobil 1 or Shell.

Use Honda engine oil filters ONLY!!!

Break in for Turbo applications are to be done without Turbo for proper ring seal.

BiGANG
24-08-2005, 04:52 PM
no 'steady state' driving? Does that basically mean that you have to be constantly revving the car up and down? (for example, driving in traffic etc?) why is this better for running in the engine?

Also i was doing a little more research and found an article showing that there is a good way to run in a motor (but not often done) is driving the motor reasonably hard. (not thrashing) but letting the car warm up and then driving the car under moderate load conditions. Ill find the link and post it up. Im not really explaining this too well

ProECU
24-08-2005, 05:17 PM
That is what "no steady state driving" is referring to.

The engine should be in operated in varying load. RPM is to be controlled as described.

spardikis
26-08-2005, 10:42 PM
sorri to hijack guys.. has anyone seen whats written on honda tec about reving the livin shi#$ out of ur engine.. it was out of the NA section but what the hell ..... any one has any ideas??
http://www.hondatech.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=117

Lukezen27
27-08-2005, 11:07 AM
sorri to hijack guys.. has anyone seen whats written on honda tec about reving the livin shi#$ out of ur engine.. it was out of the NA section but what the hell ..... any one has any ideas??
http://www.hondatech.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=117

Man thats a good read :thumbsup:

I’m gett’n new rings soon, anyone thing that’s the way I should run em in?

spardikis
28-08-2005, 01:59 PM
yeah i am building an engine so i need to knw as well...