PDA

View Full Version : Creaking dashboard on new Euro

Justin L
23-08-2005, 07:33 PM
Just had my Euro delivered and noticed that the dash creaks when going over bumps or turning! Its not a bad creak but just a soft tapping sound.

It's coming from the driver's side on the right corner where the dash meets the windscreen. When I press down on that part of the dash it flexes slightly.

I'll get this looked at at the 1,000km service but has anyone else experienced this? I've seen a post about a tapping sound from the back but mine is coming from the front dash.

Any ideas on the best way to rectify this? It seems that the dash is rubbing against the windscreen.

Besides this, I'm over the moon over this car. It's one sweet handling car. But then I'm coming from a Camry V6 ('00) which is a big soft wallowing whale in comparison!

One nice bonus was to find that the steering wheel controls are illuminated. I read somewhere that they were not. Must be an '05 upgrade.

me_kevinly
23-08-2005, 07:38 PM
nope mine doesnt
so the stand mod illuminated in the steering wheel too

yfin
23-08-2005, 08:43 PM
I think this is the infamous windscreen creak - I used to have it 12 months ago. It has gone away now. Read this:

http://www.acura-tsx.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18834&highlight=cowl

I followed the method of

"just pressing down on the plastic piece right below the passenger side wiper where it meets the the windshield and the side molding(in fact as i pressed down, it went click)"

I pressed down on both sides - I think it is the windscreen clips. That solved it for me.

Justin L
23-08-2005, 09:33 PM
Thanks! I'll give it a go.

OldnGrey
23-08-2005, 10:45 PM
Yes. the backlit steering wheel buttons are new for the MY05.
My 2004 model didn't have it.

I'm somewhat surprised that nobody else has mentioned it. it was one of the things always mentioned in reviews of the 03 and 04 models. Now they have fixed it, nobody else has noticed!

The other nice thing is the way the boot has been re-designed to fit the full size spare wheel. The tools are no longer in a creaking piece of foam in the centre of the spare.

They only changed a few things for MY05 but they appear to be things mentioned as criticisms of the car. That's encouraging I think. I'm still getting over the Milano Red and the new alloy wheels. Most unlike Honda......

Aratahu
25-08-2005, 11:51 AM
The exact same thing happened in my Euro! It was rather annoying - much like someone leashing the dash with a cord of plastic. However, I just went on a 2500k trip and after that the crackle has gone - at least for now.

The big trip included some quite spirited heavy throttle driving over quite twisty, semi rough country roads, so the suspension got a lot of work, weight was shifted around and this might have rubbed things into place.

Btw, I was really amazed by how well the Euro handled on those country roads. Glued to the road, utterly unfazed by roughness, steering spot on. Would use manual mode to stick it to 2nd or 3rd and power was never a problem if making sure to avoid the 2nd to 1st gear blackspot. Also did some high speed braking tests over those roads and the car was amazing settled. I.e. I had a total blast :)

nexace
25-08-2005, 04:35 PM
Thanks for the tips!

I'll keep it in mind too if it does occur.

Justin L
25-08-2005, 06:30 PM
I poured some water on the windscreen and the noise disappeared. It's back again but at least I'm quite certain it is the windscreen clips. Tried pressing down on it but no difference.

The more I drive this car, the more I realise why there is so much enthusiasm for this car in this forum. This car is simply awesome .....

Aratahu
25-08-2005, 07:10 PM
From the threads at acura-tsx [thanks yfin!] it would appear to be temperature related. The colder the day, the more likely for the noise to appear. Hope it really is gone, but will check for reappearance on the next cold day.