PDA

View Full Version : Help with headlight bulbs

DomenEK
23-08-2005, 10:39 PM
I keep blowing the driver's side bulb. On average, I'd say I replace it twice a year and it's really starting to give me the shits. Is this a common problem, or is it just due to shitty bulbs? What could be causing this problem?

What I'm chasing after is better night-time vision by way of more (brighter) light, with a longer beam, and a whiter colour. Should I just invest in some decent bulbs like the Phillips ones, or those japanese Maruta (sp?) bulbs? Are these what I'd be after, and do they last longer than say 6 months?

|N|
23-08-2005, 11:10 PM
just get some decent HID conversion kit... bright as hell and last much longer

DomenEK
23-08-2005, 11:22 PM
Yeah, I've thought about that....I've noticed a couple of traders are selling the conversion kits for a decent price. But I don't think I've seen any reviews on these products, nor have I been informed about the legality of these i.e. ADR approval, etc. If they aren't ADR approved then they are illegal for road use.

EuroAccord13
23-08-2005, 11:31 PM
I think you have an earthing problem in the car that is causing your bullbs to blow...

DomenEK
23-08-2005, 11:45 PM
Don't tell me that!!!

I just got the car back from the auto electricians for that exact problem, but for the rear lights :mad:

viperx
24-08-2005, 10:24 AM
are you touching the glass at all when you put the bulbs in.

get some decent ones like or philips if you're really after good quality

DomenEK
24-08-2005, 10:43 AM
are you touching the glass at all when you put the bulbs in.

get some decent ones like or philips if you're really after good quality

No - I'm very careful about not touching the glass when I put it in.
It's actually the low beam that goes every time. The high beam works fine.

Will those Phillips ones give me better vision at night though?

civiceg9
24-08-2005, 10:26 PM
get a multimeter and measure the current flow (ohm), or just voltage etc.
If there is moisture inside the headlight the light will blow, any moisture around the glass blub will just make the bulb life shorter. if possible try to get a relay kit for your halogens, that way it would run alot brighter and last longer.

Philips and MTEC(is actually made in Taiwan) have white lights but is not visible. RAYBRIG, PIAA and BJUnion have white light which is visible at night.
Visible white light has to do with the amount of xenon gas, light bulb design and quality. The amount of luminance or light intensity is also affected by your headlight design.

If you want really white, then the only option would be to get 6000k HIDs.
Remember they are 10x the price but they last 10x longer or the life of the car.

Hope the info helps

civiceg9
24-08-2005, 10:37 PM
I keep blowing the driver's side bulb. On average, I'd say I replace it twice a year and it's really starting to give me the shits. Is this a common problem, or is it just due to shitty bulbs? What could be causing this problem?

What I'm chasing after is better night-time vision by way of more (brighter) light, with a longer beam, and a whiter colour. Should I just invest in some decent bulbs like the Phillips ones, or those japanese Maruta (sp?) bulbs? Are these what I'd be after, and do they last longer than say 6 months?

Oh yeah is not about how many months, is about how many hrs
on avg a halogen last around 300hrs. This depends on the amount of time you have abuse it (flashing ppl, on and off).

those cheap Autotechnica or cheap japanese bulb will blow fast. Halogen Light generate abit of heat. So try to keep the same wattage as what the manufacture recommand. usually 55w-60w. 100w bulbs will generate massive amount of heat and this will also put stress on your bulb plug and wiring.