PDA

View Full Version : fuel eater,oil eater+white smoke

2MPRSS
24-08-2005, 08:05 PM
hey ive done a research coudlnt find what i wanted so i need some help
i have a b18c2 and i use OEM honda oil,my problme is that i have to top up my oil every week,and fill up petrol frequently like i only get 300 kms from full tank,i do push my car and rev high,i do have white smoke cuming out of my exhuast all the time when on throttle,i was thinking my piston rings are gone??i will be going turbo soon and not changing internals,should i change the type of oil im using?could it be injectors or fuses etc? or is my car poorly tuned?

cheers

T-onedc2
24-08-2005, 08:19 PM
I don't have the smoke problem but for what ít's worth, I have a B18C2 and use Mobil 1 5w-50w which is fully sythetic and I go through very little oil and enjoy driving hard regularly, although regular vtec usage will consume oil at a faster rate than usual it is normal, OEM oil is semi-synthetic 10w-30w.
Having discussed at length which I should use with an experienced and knowlegeable bloke we both found I'm best to stick with the Mobil 1. Reckons it's the best you could buy.:)

2MPRSS
24-08-2005, 08:22 PM
I don't have the smoke problem but for what ít's worth, I have a B18C2 and use Mobil 1 5w-50w which is fully sythetic and I go through very little oil and enjoy driving hard regularly, although regular vtec usage will consume oil at a faster rate than usual it is normal, OEM oil is semi-synthetic 10w-30w.
Having discussed at length which I should use with an experienced and knowlegeable bloke we both found I'm best to stick with the Mobil 1. Reckons it's the best you could buy.:)

did you have lot of oil consumption when using OEM oil and how was ur fuel economy?

T-onedc2
24-08-2005, 08:36 PM
did you have lot of oil consumption when using OEM oil and how was ur fuel economy?
I bought the car and drove it for a few days before changing to Mobil 1, so I couldn't comment, sorry.
Also my fuel economy is more like 550-650km per tank if I stretch it.:thumbsup:

2MPRSS
24-08-2005, 08:54 PM
thats really good, il be happy if i got 400 kms :(

T-onedc2
24-08-2005, 09:05 PM
You might wanna talk to a reputable mechanic about this, honda engine+white smoke+loss of considerable oil volumes = My worst nightmare!
Guess is could be piston rings and boosting will make make it much, much worse.
Hope it's not all bad news though.;)

Lukezen27
24-08-2005, 09:21 PM
Hay Omar

Hannys with do new rings for $1200 including all new seals'n stff on my D16Y1

Not sure about your 18C but I might be a good opt before boost

I burn about 1L every 1500K (sucks) tho I hit pass red line close to every day :p not sure how long my engine with last heheh

Seems to handle it fine tho :thumbsup:

LukeZen

Weq
24-08-2005, 10:15 PM
compression tests mate. leakdown.
boost will make things worse.

Lukezen27
24-08-2005, 10:20 PM
compression tests mate. leakdown.
boost will make things worse.

just got mine done

140D 150W DOH

paulosportz
25-08-2005, 10:52 AM
what ever you do! dont turbo your car yet unless you find out and fix the problem.

ive been losing oil too, not much, but ive did a compression test and it was fine.
so i have the same question

is oem honda oil 10w-30

to thin? would using a thick oil prevent me from losing oil
my car is turboed

sorry for hi jacking but just have similiar problem

2MPRSS
25-08-2005, 04:54 PM
hmm having second thoughts about turboing my car without internals :S

Perry
25-08-2005, 05:38 PM
damn OMar u know the way u drive, of course ur killing engine oil vtecing often will cause oil consumption, but white smoke doesnt sound good mate, u do know ur engine was supercharge b4 right and it was holding???? nicely as well

paulosportz
25-08-2005, 05:38 PM
if u keep th boost stock and a good tune
ur car would last as long as some others

fly_vti
25-08-2005, 05:48 PM
just get thicker oil, thin when cold thicker when hot. it will burn up less. i had smoke on my itr but it was black. so it meant it was fuel

Lukezen27
25-08-2005, 05:56 PM
Bit of topic but anyone know whats good compression for what car?

ie what should my D16Y1 get or Omars B18C?

Thx Luke

bennyBear
25-08-2005, 06:32 PM
I was running oem oil (10w 30) in my teg, but the k's are getting a bit upward now days so i moved onto a better synthetic, im running motul 10w 40 at the mo, no more smoke! runs quite well when it's cold too

Weq
25-08-2005, 06:50 PM
170-180 for the d16 and 180-200 for the b18c

Lukezen27
25-08-2005, 06:53 PM
170-180 for the d16 and 180-200 for the b18c

So my rings are hell F**ked coze I got

140 dry 150 Wet

?

I dont blow that much smoke tho :rolleyes:

incoming
25-08-2005, 07:10 PM
hmm i thought high revving motors usually get white smoke under full throttle... like turbo cars as well?

vividjazz
25-08-2005, 08:00 PM
Piston rigs could be shot, head gasket or you might even have a cracked engine block. Check for oil leaks around the engine bay. If you park for while is there oil on the ground?
I'd get someone you can trust like Hanny's to check it over.

Lukezen27
25-08-2005, 08:07 PM
Piston rigs could be shot, head gasket or you might even have a cracked engine block. Check for oil leaks around the engine bay. If you park for while is there oil on the ground?
I'd get someone you can trust like Hanny's to check it over.

Hannys just did my 100,000k sever and said its all good :(

Leak down test on head came back good too!!!!!!!!!

Only rings left that could be bad right?

140 dry 150 Wet is very low of going by Weq's stats

paulosportz
25-08-2005, 10:39 PM
hmm i thought high revving motors usually get white smoke under full throttle... like turbo cars as well?

white/blue smoke = bad
means ur either burning oil or water
which should not be happening

Weq
25-08-2005, 10:58 PM

ur numbers are consistant which is a good sign. the wet/dry difference means that its not a ring problem imo. variation is the important factor, and i think you should be fine. some tested read lower or higher, variation is the important thing because its very unlikly every cylinder having the exact same damage as eachother.. but yes, its a little low. on the edge of maybe some valve seals...

Lukezen27
26-08-2005, 08:47 AM
ur numbers are consistant which is a good sign. the wet/dry difference means that its not a ring problem imo. variation is the important factor, and i think you should be fine. some tested read lower or higher, variation is the important thing because its very unlikly every cylinder having the exact same damage as eachother.. but yes, its a little low. on the edge of maybe some valve seals...

All cylinder came back with the exact same numbers too

vividjazz
26-08-2005, 04:54 PM

Have you had a good chat with Robert - Hannys about your concerns and asked for his suggestions. eg. rebuild. Particular emphasis on the smoke and the low numbers. The vehicle must be obviously safe and not going to die tomorrow but you obviously want the best performance possible too.

Does the power feel lacking when you drive it? Is there a similar age and similar milage car you could do a comparo with?

GEL15
26-08-2005, 06:08 PM
hey, i have the exact same problem in my eg with a b18c2 in it. I have too top my oil up every week and also go through alot of fuel like you were saying.
my engine doesn't leak oil at all but still burns alot obvioussly.
i changed today to a thicker oil from feo so i will let you know how i go with it.

Lukezen27
26-08-2005, 06:16 PM
Have you had a good chat with Robert - Hannys about your concerns and asked for his suggestions. eg. rebuild. Particular emphasis on the smoke and the low numbers. The vehicle must be obviously safe and not going to die tomorrow but you obviously want the best performance possible too.

Does the power feel lacking when you drive it? Is there a similar age and similar milage car you could do a comparo with?

Yeah I'd allready talked to em and was quoted $1200 rebuild :) tho its cash I dont realy have :rolleyes:

On the power side its still grate, I best my bro GTI 205 1.9L close to every race we have

But like Omar I'm looking to boost down the track so maybe rebuild is a must but having only do 104.0..... k it should be still tight :o

vividjazz
27-08-2005, 05:48 PM
If you haven't got $1200 for a rebuild (that's really cheap for a rebuild) how have you got enough for a turbo???

I don't think the k's count for much. If its had a hard life then its just worn. Race engines get rebuilt every race or at least every session depending on category and they are not clocking big k's even in endurance.

If someone was selling a bike with 104k on the clock you'd be real hard pressed to find anyone at any price for it as that's huge for a bike. Its all relative.

If it needs a rebuild just do it when you can but sticking a blower on an engine in need of a rebuild is just asking for trouble. One thing though the compression is probably already down thanks to the wear.