PDA

View Full Version : VTi-R Teg or VTi-R Lude - What to buy?

Chronos
20-02-2004, 01:23 PM
I'm looking to buy a new car. I've got it down to a DC2/gen3 VTi-R teg or a gen4 VTi-R lude.

I know that the lude is a bigger car, but it has more torque. Can you advise on some pros and cons on either of these cars? Such as insurance premium difference, part pricing, common faults etc. 1994-1996 kinda year range.

B18C vs H22A. Is it true that the B series has more avalible parts than the H series?

I had a gen2 teg for over a year, and i loved it! So i want something that has the same 'feel' as that. Hence im leaning a little towards the teg. I'm only 20 years old, so insurance premiums play a big part in my final decision.

I've driven both these cars, and i love both of them. One having more torque whilst the other being more agile.

Help! I can't decide. :(

Thanks everyone.
Dim

McChook
20-02-2004, 01:28 PM
Get a 'teg if you can't afford a lude - don't buy a lude to modify it, or to be a hero - it is a comfortable cruiser. Teg is a lot brasher, more if you wanna go hardcore - Lude's are refined

[[d a n n y]]
20-02-2004, 01:32 PM
if u wanna go more harcore..

buy a civic...

it'll kick ass

go the civic... :D

Chronos
20-02-2004, 01:51 PM
A civic hey? What type are we talking about here?

I don't want to go overboard. I'm looking for a daily driver. I want to keep it stock as i can. Maybe a CAI and a highflow cat + extractors, or something descrete.

How much do civics go for?

McChook
20-02-2004, 02:05 PM
If you don't want to do an engine conversion, or look for ages to find a nice EK VTiR, get an integra.

vti-2
20-02-2004, 02:10 PM
I don't want to go overboard. I'm looking for a daily driver. I want to keep it stock as i can. Maybe a CAI and a highflow cat + extractors, or something descrete.

Then get the Lude. It will be a nice cruiser with the added torque. With those mods it will still boogie when you want it to and look good doing it.

Or, if you want to get serious, get the DC2 (which is why i voted for it).

Rowie
20-02-2004, 02:13 PM
integra all the way

McChook
20-02-2004, 02:14 PM
good luck finding a 4th Gen Prelude VTiR

A'PEXi
20-02-2004, 02:41 PM
integra, they are slightly cheaper i would think.... the shape looks better tho imho.

VTEC16
20-02-2004, 02:45 PM
If you don't want to do an engine conversion, or look for ages to find a nice EK VTiR, get an integra.

agreed.

ginganggooly
20-02-2004, 05:00 PM
it really depends what you are after... imo the 4th gen prelude looks better than any integra, very driveable and a little cramped. i'd have been happier with the 'lude.

i waited for 4 months looking for a 4th gen vti-r and gave up.

McChook
20-02-2004, 05:01 PM
Yep. So go 5th GEN!!!!!

Chronos
20-02-2004, 05:12 PM
My mate wants to sell me his Gen4 VTi-R lude. So finding one isnt a problem anymore. Finding a DC2 VTi-R teg is another story.

Realisticly, whats a quicker car around a track and in a drag (without any mods)? I know the H22A puts out more power than the B18C, but does the extra weight of the lude counteract that?

Thanks again guys.

McChook
20-02-2004, 05:27 PM
Lude is faster in a straight line, by a nice margain, stock VS stock. track, integra wins..... lude too heavy - Suspension modifications can fix that though

Javed
20-02-2004, 07:32 PM
My cuz just got a 5th gen lude VTi-R, damn sexy car. The interior is to die for and is a nice driver. Daily driver suggests lude for cruisability. I know if I had the cash for a prelude i wouldn't drive an integra.

UR2L8
20-02-2004, 08:15 PM
Ludes are more expencive, they the latest models (the current shape) costs just as much a DC2 ITR. Or you can find one for like around $18k-$25k but save up and get an ITR if its not far away in the price range. But if your keen on driving in style and performance get the Integra Vtir, you can find a good deal on them and save some money and do some mods to it, they respond better to mods then ludes, it will be more worth it than buying a stock Lude.

cheebye
20-02-2004, 10:48 PM
hmm.. tough choice but I would go for the prelude 2.2 vti-r. nice interior, more towards the luxury feel with the vtec mill there handy :)

dunno is anyone seen the 'iceman' or 'iceboy' white prelude.. that was one shexy aZZ ride! nice smooth kit, nothing too over the top, nice rims, etc.

really, depends what u want. I would go for the prelude if I want a bit of luxury, refinement & class but still with the mean vtec engine. otherwise, the integra would be more of a racer kinda image and more raw.

EG_2_TEG
21-02-2004, 12:27 AM
i wouldn't buy a lude unless it was a gen 5 one ;)

totti
21-02-2004, 02:30 PM
Lude is faster in a straight line, by a nice margain, stock VS stock. track, integra wins..... lude too heavy - Suspension modifications can fix that though

i dunno about the straight line man...i might have 2 give u another chance 2 redeem yourself :D

Ironfist
21-02-2004, 04:37 PM
yeah that straight line comment... errr donno about that..
draged a friend in his 5th gen lude vtir against my 3rd gen teg vtir and i won by 3/4 of a car. He has a a CAI though i don't really think they give you "that much" more oomph

luzinit
21-02-2004, 06:33 PM

mmm dont think so either.. i've seen a gsi teg beat a prelude vtir time and time again :)

Tofu
21-02-2004, 07:44 PM
definately the Integra
although the Prelude is still a nice drivable car...if it's not Gen 5...don't think it's worth it

i also kept up side by side with a Gen4 Prelude VTi-R in my auto dc5... :D

Chronos
22-02-2004, 01:13 AM
Thanks for all the replys guys :D

All the feedback and info that you've all posted has pushed me towards the teg. Everyones right. The prelude has more of a refined, more luxury kind of feel. I've decided at this stage i don't want to go for this. I'm a bit young for this. The more agile Integra seems to be a better fit atm. I'm also familiar with the Integra's design. It's not too different to my old Gen2 LS teg.

I've found a nice DC2 teg today. Only problem is, it has done heaps of kilometres. How does the B18C2 cope with high Km's? To the sound of 180,000Km's. Is this too many km's for a 5 year old car? Will the piston rings be worn out? Will i be loosing a significant amount of compression? I would like to perform a leak-down/compression test, but that's not possible. Is there another test i can perform to check or get an idea of ring condition (other than the blue smoke test)? Also, this car is approaching the 200,000Km mark. How much will this service cost? Assuming nothing other than timing belt/water pump/etc (pre-defined parts) will need replacment?

What does everyone think?

Once again, thankyou everyone for your thoughts and feedback.
Dim :)

McChook
22-02-2004, 02:06 AM

mmm dont think so either.. i've seen a gsi teg beat a prelude vtir time and time again :)
That is up hill with a 'teg with BS Grid III's - I have beaten Jon BTW, but he has too much grip off the line

I dragged off a light modded teg VTiR (just echaust? tyres?) last night and was winning - until the prick went passed me - had too much top end, and my baby's all standard right now.... he knows who he is :evil: :x :evil:

luzinit
22-02-2004, 12:52 PM
yeh.. tyres, uphill, good grip off the line.. wotever.. "faster" perhaps?? haha..

anyways.. my point was rather, if u have trouble with a gsi.. how can a lude be faster than a dc2vtir by a 'nice margin'..

btw, didnt the lude lose against the n15 SSS as well? :D that car doesnt have any special tyres...

surely a vtir teg can beat an n15 SSS..

i'm not trying to start an argument, just wanna lay down some facts to help Chronos make the right decision.. anyways.. looks like hes made it now, gl with finding a dc2vtir dude :)

fried
22-02-2004, 01:02 PM
OoOoOo
O i wanna start an argument!!!!!!

*up hill*.... pfffft *bs(bridgestone) gridIIIs*...... great excuses mate!!!

how about u suck and hes faster?! if u wanna make BS excuses, prepare to cop flack brother!

tegvtir vs ludevtir, u won.. but u lost......
teggsi vs ludevtir, u lost
teggsi vs n15SSS, gsi wins
ludevtir vs n15SSS, SSS wins.....

so now add that all up.... i think ur lude aint looking too good.

dont give bs excuses brother, to try and save face or whatever, cos ur jsut embarassing urself ;)

brother chronos, lets just put it up to what it really is, its the driver, that being you. get what ud be happy with, and work on ur driving ;) gl finding ur dc2vtir.... dam great cars, i should know.

ginganggooly
22-02-2004, 01:29 PM
actually, i do remember an edition of wheels, from like 8 years ago ;)
-giant handling test with mark skaife piloting various cars around EC. from what i can remember, the 4gen prelude vti-r was the only fwd he got to go around the track in under 2 mins. the integra vti-r managed it in around 2:02 secs.

so i'd say that stock for stock the 4th gen vti-r lude is a better car. i don't know about once you start getting into mods though. firstly, the prelude is pretty darn porky- and 200 odd kg or whatever it is, is a helluva lot of dead weight to be hustling around. and secondly, the stock suspension in the integra vti-r's is woefully inadequate; swaybar too thin, springs too soft, underdamped. it all adds up to a car that has horrible issues with diving under brakes, squatting during acceleration and very, very poor control of lateral body movements.

i've never really warmed to the looks of the the 5th gen 'ludes. 4th gen ones are drop dead sexy though. as i've said many times before ;)

either way, the cars are pretty decent.

booget
22-02-2004, 01:35 PM
stop trying to justify it slim
hahahahha
so wat car do u drive?

is that a teg i hear!?!?
bahahhaha

ginganggooly
22-02-2004, 01:36 PM
truth hurts :P

Chronos
22-02-2004, 04:17 PM
Hmm... Fair enough. I didn't know that the DC2 teg had suspension problems. Good thing is that it can all be fixed with some upgraded parts. While the ludes extra weight cannot be fixed :(.

Regarding a 200,000km service, what has to be replaced? Other than timing belt, water pump, camshaft seals, splugs and fuel filter? How much will this service set me back? Has anyone performed this service at say Hanny's, on their VTi-R teg? How much did it cost you?

What im basicly asking: is 180,000km's too much for a VTi-R teg? How much will performance suffer due to the high km's? Is it better to have an older car (say 1994) with less km's (say 120,000) than to have a newer car with 180,000km's? What's the biggest killer of the VTi-R teg (or any honda)? KM's or time?

Thanks again everyone.

ginganggooly
22-02-2004, 04:34 PM
in my amateur experience, i'd say neglect is the biggest killer. the cars are well engineered and (generally) screwed together pretty well.
the service you mentioned cost me about 650 at hanny's. which is pretty damn reasonable imo.

age/km are not as important as both the superficial and running condition. it'd be worth taking the car to get checked out before signing on the dotted line though.

my '94 car has 170k km on it and is still going strong. barely uses up any oil- maybe 200ml/5000km... only issues are from my mods, which is my own fault really.

olda
22-02-2004, 09:12 PM
Hmm... Fair enough. I didn't know that the DC2 teg had suspension problems. Good thing is that it can all be fixed with some upgraded parts. While the ludes extra weight cannot be fixed :(.

Regarding a 200,000km service, what has to be replaced? Other than timing belt, water pump, camshaft seals, splugs and fuel filter? How much will this service set me back? Has anyone performed this service at say Hanny's, on their VTi-R teg? How much did it cost you?

What im basicly asking: is 180,000km's too much for a VTi-R teg? How much will performance suffer due to the high km's? Is it better to have an older car (say 1994) with less km's (say 120,000) than to have a newer car with 180,000km's? What's the biggest killer of the VTi-R teg (or any honda)? KM's or time?

Thanks again everyone.

The re-sale value killer of any car = high kms
Try to find a VTiR TEG with less Kms. Less kms, the better!!! DON'T RUSH YOUR SELF !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Suspension fix for a VTiR Teg = Eibach PRO KIT lowered springs. ~ $500.00
Been there............done that.................... 8) 8) 8)

ginganggooly
22-02-2004, 09:38 PM
if you want to take it past the level of a stock r, then you'll need shocks, springs, sway bar amongst other tweaks.

works well though, i must say ;)

Tofu
23-02-2004, 09:00 AM
if you want to take it past the level of a stock r, then you'll need shocks, springs, sway bar amongst other tweaks.

works well though, i must say ;)

i'm with that
but i rather coilovers than springs/shocks
other things are tie bar, strut bar, c-pillar bar...

ginganggooly
23-02-2004, 09:05 AM
mmmm coilovers. nice and shiny! :)

wish i had the dough. but they're like 3k for anything meaningful.

Chronos
26-02-2004, 11:20 PM
Sorry to revive this thread again, but i have one more question.

What did Honda change on the VTi-R teg from the first series DC2 (1994-1996) to the second series (1997+)? I noticed that the front bar was slightly modified. Anything else?

Thanks again guys. :)

fried
02-03-2004, 11:25 AM
passenger side airbag?
ob2 something something?
front and rear bars? (as in rear bumper, and front bumper - face lift)
front head lights?
more weight? (althought this is only like 50kgs or something)
not sure what else my friend... good luck!