PDA

View Full Version : stainless or mild steel?

EGB16A
25-08-2005, 07:29 PM
I'm just wondering what people would go for if they were getting a custom turbo manifold made? Its something i hadn't considered, and does anyone know any pro's and cons of either?

thanks guys

Lloyd

Weq
25-08-2005, 10:39 PM
i think most u'll find around here are mild or steampipe (stainless variation). not many will give u a quality stainless steel. in the end its probably double the price and really a personal preference. You should concerntrate more on the quality of the welder :)

ProECU
25-08-2005, 10:55 PM
Stainless all the way.

mild steel will tend to surface rust from the inside out, ive had it happen to me.

If you want to go mild steel, have it HPC coated both inside & out before you have it installed on the car.
It will then last longer, and keep engine bay temps slightly lower

newmski
25-08-2005, 11:07 PM
stainless, but as WEQ said, quality of welds is just as important

Weq
25-08-2005, 11:13 PM
my bad, forgot about rust. i just dont see many manifolds rust up these days cause they just break at the welds before!!

[stealth]
26-08-2005, 12:45 AM
Stainless For Any Turb App!

joyride
26-08-2005, 08:15 AM
make sure the manifold has adequate bracing too.

Tobster
26-08-2005, 09:59 AM
Can't say for certain, but I was once told that mild steel has the advantage of dealing with heat better as it's softer and can expand and contract -- stainless is more likely to crack if subjected to extreme variations in temperature.

EGB16A
26-08-2005, 11:14 AM
thanks guys. My main concern is the manifold cracking, and i've seen and heard some horror stories where stainless steel is involved, but i think most of these cases are ss autochrome products (which i know i should stay well away from). I really haven't heard many bad things about mild steel and cast manifolds etc though. Anyone got any bad reviews?

Weq
27-08-2005, 08:38 PM
tigs welds and u'll be set ;]

Limbo
27-08-2005, 10:19 PM
Steampipe for the Turbo manifold. It has less chance of cracking. Most stainless steel is too thin and would crack under extreme heat.

The rest of the exhaust could be stainless though as it is not under as much stress

Weq
28-08-2005, 12:24 AM
just check the gauge of the stainless steel. when everyone things of stainless steel these days, they think of shiny ssautocrap manifolds which crack at the welds. stainless is as strong as anything else, u just gotta get the right kind.

and i think u will find that steampipe is mild/and or stainless. its not a metal of there own. its just in australia 'steampipe' is a common name for a typical config of steel.

saxman
29-08-2005, 06:35 AM
just check the gauge of the stainless steel. when everyone things of stainless steel these days, they think of shiny ssautocrap manifolds which crack at the welds. stainless is as strong as anything else, u just gotta get the right kind.

and i think u will find that steampipe is mild/and or stainless. its not a metal of there own. its just in australia 'steampipe' is a common name for a typical config of steel.
the ironic part about people thinking of the ssac as stainless and cracking at the welds is that they use mild steel flanges

alta'd n13
29-08-2005, 07:43 PM
steam pipe for turbo manifold
mild steel for exhaust
stainless steel for cooler plumbing

steam pipe is by far best for turbo manifold as its least prone to cracking
mild steel for the exhaust due to the fact that stainless will generally outlast the life of the car, mild steel is also the most cost effective.
stainless for the cooler plumbing coz u cant afford for the tiniest bit of rust to enter your turbo or inlet manifold