PDA

View Full Version : "Rubbing" Sound SInce New 16s

**Ghost**
25-08-2005, 10:59 PM
hi guys, i get a "rubbing sound" since i got new 16 inch wheels (upgrade 15) for an Ek4 hatch today...

weird thing is, i ONLY get the sound when turning LEFT at high speeds (around 70KM Plus)

I'm not so concerned cos my suspension is height adjustable, but is that theonly problem? car too low for the rims?

and how come it doesnt do it when i take a hard RIGHT?

:thumbsup: for the responses

newmski
25-08-2005, 11:04 PM
coz more weight on right side of car "ie YOU" :S
how much gap u got at the moment? also check your CV's although probly wouldn't be a "rubing sound" if CVs.
could always just raise the right hand side of the car a bit more "not much"
or just raise all corners

**Ghost**
25-08-2005, 11:12 PM
i think CVs make more of a "clicking/rattling" sound...

and its too coincidental cos i just got the problem and the rims today

ah well, i'll just jack it up a notch on the driver side tomrorow... i never thought about the "heavier thing"... now that i think about it, steering wheel, cluster, ME, probably causing the imbalance, cheers for that...

PLYBOY
26-08-2005, 06:04 AM
check you offset, they offset is wrong on the rims for your car.. honda is 40-45 i think.. 35 is about a far out you want to go..

egSi
26-08-2005, 08:43 AM
i have the same thing. cept mine is at low speeds turnin left.

all it is, is one wheel rubbing on the fender liner plastic plug.

have a look under ur car man, what width r the 16s over the 15s? that could be also the problem.

get under ur car and have a look man, look for something that looks like its been rubbing.

wynode
26-08-2005, 10:44 AM
Like trav said.......its probably rubbing either your guard.....or the splash guard. Take the wheel off and look inside for 'rubbing' marks.

**Ghost**
26-08-2005, 06:10 PM
sigh... i upgraded from 15x6 to 16x6.5 so thats the reason i suppose : ( now i need to raise the height...

do i need to take out the whole shock/spring to do it? or does the c-spanner and notches adjustment thingie do the job?

u reckon its possible to just adjust dampening to STIFFER to avoid rubbing?>

Zdster
26-08-2005, 06:25 PM
sigh... i upgraded from 15x6 to 16x6.5 so thats the reason i suppose : ( now i need to raise the height...

do i need to take out the whole shock/spring to do it? or does the c-spanner and notches adjustment thingie do the job?

I have the same problem Ghost but like egSi at much lower speeds. Wait until you get someone to ride in the back as well and you will hear it much more.

Depending on the suspension I dont think you will need to remove it. Just use the c-spanner to adjust them a little higher. That is what I am planning on doing to mine when I get the time. Your other option is always to take the corners slower :).

fly_vti
26-08-2005, 11:01 PM

get your gaurds rolled, (this will increase wheel space) inside the gaurd. that should fix it. either that or your rims are too wide.

**Ghost**
26-08-2005, 11:31 PM
couldnt i just raise my car? or adjust dampening?

Limbo
28-08-2005, 08:45 AM
depends on which part is rubbing. It si usually your rear wheels from experience.
You can get the rear guards rolled and that should help, depnding on which part is rubbing (i.e the inner side) you could get spacers.

Getting the outter guards rolled was like $80 each side from Aussie Tyres last time i asked. Or you could do it the cheap way and get and angle grinder to cut some off. (backyard job) Just rem to touch up the guards with paint if you cut it to stop it from rusting.

Limbo
28-08-2005, 08:48 AM
btw... if you raise your car you'll prob loose your handling advantage (which is why i am sure you got 16's in the first place). Stiffer springs may not help as you shafts have a slight play in them 1cm or so and i am sure that is wat is making it only rub on one side. (had the same problem also) Changing mags with different offset can help also

Zdster
29-08-2005, 01:31 PM
He would only need to raise it a fraction though. Since it is only scrapping in fast corners then I think you wouldnt need to raise it that much.

**Ghost**
01-09-2005, 03:38 PM
thanks for the response guys....... i'm emant to wait for my mechanic to role them...............but........ my dad just bought a ryobi angle grinder...... *evil gleam in eyes*........ bwahahahahhaaha die u rubbing son of a bitch dieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

**Ghost**
02-09-2005, 01:43 PM
***wielding a smoking angle grinder***

before i continue... wots the front splash guards for? they look like they light scrapping... do they serve and important purpose?

oh and the rear guards have been massecred on the inside...cant tell on the outside tho