PDA

View Full Version : How to set correct camber?

ekslut
26-08-2005, 10:59 AM
I have some camber kits for my car, and im going to put them on sometime soon, but how can I work out what the best amount of camber is for me?

From my understanding you want your tyre to have as much contact with the road as possible, so you can attain the most amount of grip.

Now, what I am thinking of doing is next track day at my favorite track (Phillip Island) I get a tyre temp meter and after each session find out the temps for the outer, middle, and inside of the tyre. This will tell me which part of the tyre is being used the most (hottest area), therefore I can +/- my camber til I get a nice even temp reading.

Am I talking a load of crap, or will this work. Or is there a much easier way that I am not thinking of?

*By the way this is for a track car, will see minimal road use

heist
26-08-2005, 11:20 AM
take it to a suspension place....they ahve a test i think...they can adjust it for you...

Illegal
26-08-2005, 11:22 AM
-1camber or a bit more if it's only a track car, but I would only do 1 degree.

Limbo
28-08-2005, 09:00 AM
depends on track or road. Normal roads need very little camber cos the road is almost even unless you drive to the left where it slopes to the gutter. SO neutral camber to save tyres i think is best.
If it is track see what camber the race guys are using on the track i'm sure that will be the best indication.

wynode
28-08-2005, 11:52 PM
I would probably set camber via a proper alignment machine. Not too sure about measuring heat dispersion as a means of working out optimal camber levels.

weezer
29-08-2005, 10:14 AM
This is an intresting article about a doing a DIY wheel alignment

http://www.c-speedracing.com/howto/alignment/alignment.php

Steer^Gimic
29-08-2005, 11:36 AM
good site weez. some other good diy's!

TeMp
29-08-2005, 01:04 PM
I would probably set camber via a proper alignment machine. Not too sure about measuring heat dispersion as a means of working out optimal camber levels.

I agree with wyn that you should have your camber set at a proper alignment because if your camber isn't the same on your, for e.g., rear tyres then they will begin to wear unevenly. And later when you find out your camber settings are not the same on your rear tyres and try to fix it up, you will find the tyre wear will upset your handling.

For all these sussy settings its really about personal preference. You can also do some research and see what other people use. For e.g. I know about of DC5s use -2 at the front and -1 at the back which makes a hell of a difference for handling.