PDA

View Full Version : help! need to improve handling

steve
27-08-2005, 11:10 AM
After owning my car for about 6months now i have been startin to push her a little harder, neway i've noticed that on fast sweepers with a few bumps thrown in the rear of my car gets abit twitchy or flighty, not very confidence inspiring...

Will a whiteline thicker rear swaybar/tiebar combo reduce this or make it worse?

Car is a em1 with lowered sport springs

bennjamin
27-08-2005, 11:14 AM
define twitchy....as in unsettling via each bump ? (rear wobbles) ?
Id think a rear swaybar will help greatly in this aspect. It will flatten out the rear end makign it stick to the road more giving you back that confidence :)

steve
27-08-2005, 11:35 AM
yea, as in when the rear of the car hits a bump it makes it go light, then it feels like the rear wants to come around.

i imagine in an extreme case this is how snap oversteer occurs

This happens whether im on or off the gas, so its not lift off oversteer

ginganggooly
27-08-2005, 03:26 PM
maybe try out some well matched springs and shocks... if the car is unsettling itsself to the point that the arse end gets all flighty, i'd be guessing that the springs and shocks weren't working too well together.

but thats just a guess...

SKREMN
27-08-2005, 03:52 PM
A whiteline thicker rear swaybar/tiebar combo will make the rear stiffer but can make it worse than it allready is
Put some subs in the back and it will handle better
If the rear is too light and stiff it will fly out around corners
on big sweepers my rear end comes out on me

Maybe you just need better tyres?

steve
27-08-2005, 05:43 PM
agree that yes both better springs and shocks/ tires would make car handle better BUT, back to the question, will the whiteline kit reduce this tendancy or increase it???

SKREMN
27-08-2005, 09:44 PM
It depends on the set up you got?
You'll have to try it out could go either way i'd say but later on you might change your set up shocks, wheels ect and it will change again

91OOM
28-08-2005, 12:56 AM
coilovers uleh

n/a
28-08-2005, 02:33 AM
coilovers uleh

don't be stupid uleh! :thumbsup:

ahaha! i just read the post about the subs, that could work you know.

friend went to twisties in his RS (suburu) the car was jumpy, he has sti springs btw, and we tried with my spare tyre in the back and seemed to make the car much more stable. some things can't be helped, so maybe it's just about weight balance.

Limbo
28-08-2005, 08:36 AM
its going to be a mix and match, but get an adjustable swaybar from whiteline and you can adjust the stiffness depending on your driving style and you current suspension setup.
Then later you can adjust is things change.

wynode
28-08-2005, 11:48 PM
its going to be a mix and match, but get an adjustable swaybar from whiteline and you can adjust the stiffness depending on your driving style and you current suspension setup.
Then later you can adjust is things change.
The adjustable sway bar isn't something that you 'adjust' to suite you driving conditions.

spetz
29-08-2005, 12:49 PM
I would say the rear sway bar would only make things worse, as it would give more grip to the front and less grip to the rear. Probably over a bump your ass will come around.

I would say if your springs are good, but have standard shocks and can't spend too much money, just get some half decent rear aftermarket shocks.
Then later do the front, and depending on how the car handles (oversteer/understeer) you can decide on a rear swaybar