PDA

View Full Version : Engine torque dampeners

SKREMN
27-08-2005, 03:15 PM
Has anyone got a torque damper on there motor?
Do they work well?
Have you noticed the difference?
Will it be a smoother or rougher ride?

I just had a LS/Vtec conversion done with heavy duty button clutch and lightend flywheel instlled
I have fairly new engine mounts that are all 100% but I still get alot of movment in my engine when I let out the clutch

I hear the LS mounting is not as good as later models as it only has 4 mounting points

I'm still running in the motor and would hate to think how much it will move whem I'm giving it

For people who dont know what this is it's like a small shock absorber that sits on the chassis of your car and then bolts onto your engine mount therefore reducing the movment of your engine back and forth

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b164/skremnLS/Enginedamper.jpg

FunkyR
27-08-2005, 05:00 PM
I ionstalled an Ingall's torque damper on my car - adjustable stiffness - left it on factory 14mm (10mm - 15mm hard to soft).

They do their job well - very little engine movement now.... launching I get less wheel spin (LSDs still kick in) but it's made my DC5R now feel like a DC2R. the NVH have all gotten worse and there's noticeable cabin vibration....

Perry
27-08-2005, 07:36 PM
hey mate i met u at GP last time, there are not like shock absorbers i was told , yes it will hold the engine but all the force will b transfered into the cabin

sivic
27-08-2005, 08:16 PM
your engine will prob move less when your giving it.
all comes down to the resonant properties

FunkyR
27-08-2005, 08:52 PM
hey mate i met u at GP last time, there are not like shock absorbers i was told , yes it will hold the engine but all the force will b transfered into the cabin

Really? oooh yeah I vaguely remember now! ;)

SKREMN
27-08-2005, 09:31 PM
Yeah I got a LSD as well so it grips and throws the engine forward
I havent been able to find one for my car local or overseas
I might get one and have to modify the bracket to suite
Anyone know where you can get one local

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyR
but it's made my DC5R now feel like a DC2R. the NVH have all gotten worse and there's noticeable cabin vibration....

Is the DC2R not as smooth as a DC5R I have never driven a DC2R

FR33K
27-08-2005, 09:44 PM
although i dont have engine torque dampers.. i do have aftermarket engine mount inserts and.. like everyone says... it transfers engine vibration to the car and i guess it does get a bit annoying at times.

phantom_civic
28-08-2005, 01:01 AM
Sorry 2 hijack this thread but is ur car still at GP SKREMN coz i dropped my car off at GP on friday afternoon and saw it there on the stands, been there for a while if i could remember the last time i visited GP.

:)

nice setup u got in ur car i got 2 say.

:thumbsup:

SKREMN
28-08-2005, 01:32 AM
yer i just took it back there on thuresday blew the head
they didnt torque up the head enought or sumthing i just did 78 klms

FunkyR
28-08-2005, 11:54 AM
hang on, i didnt enter my DC5 at the GP - that blue one as someone elses... ;) I was an official though.....

I bought my torque damper from ebay from the states btw...

mooshie
28-08-2005, 10:26 PM
surely couldnt be too hard to fab up some kind of adapter and use a dc2r or civic damper? I have this problem too and i know my mounts are fine, maybe just getting polyurethane mounts would be easier.

wynode
28-08-2005, 11:57 PM
Guys lets keep the chit chat to PM thanks.

So would you use an engine damper instead of motor mount inserts?

Perry
29-08-2005, 12:21 PM
yer i just took it back there on thuresday blew the head
they didnt torque up the head enought or sumthing i just did 78 klms

WTF

SKREMN
29-08-2005, 07:12 PM
I have allread purchased some motor mount inserts from the states, now waiting on shipping
I'm going to give these a go if it's traveling alot I may try getting a dampener later on

WTF
Dont ask me I didn't build the motor
only noticed the cream surprise

civicboy
29-08-2005, 09:43 PM
SKREMN who did rebuild ur engine?

SKREMN
29-08-2005, 10:42 PM
Good Performance they built it
LS/Vtec conversion

FunkyR
29-08-2005, 11:44 PM
Well I opted for the torque damper (cost more) cos it was adjustable at least and if i hated the engine NVH I could easily take it off (without having to get the engine hoisted)....

Mounts are the cheaper way to go though....

civicboy
30-08-2005, 01:14 PM
r they gonna fix it for free or somfn?

ITRBoI
30-08-2005, 01:18 PM
engine dampers works well for what they are!!, had mine one put in a few months ago. Engine hardly shakes, feel all the vibration in the cabin, and chassis. i think (easier to put into gears, correct me if im wrong) more stablazing. Feel more of a crunch when really dumping the clutch no loss in power =)

SKREMN
30-08-2005, 06:13 PM
I dont really want my car to vibrate too much coz it will make my DVD player skip haha
I will be using this as a last resort

r they gonna fix it for free or somfn?
Yes they fixing it for free
they also giving me high tensile head bolts and nuts etc thats normally for turbo cars
i was there today
bloody honda's takign there time finding a new head gasket