PDA

View Full Version : b16a1 gearbox

BSRacer
27-08-2005, 06:07 PM
Hey fellas, i've got a ef8 crx; b16a1. Can I use any b series box on my car? Was thinking itr box with lsd or do i need a y1 box? OR Can I get an lsd added to y1 box?

BiGANG
27-08-2005, 06:58 PM
one problem with changing gearboxes on your car will be that you crx has cable clutch and newer model gearboxes have hydraulic clutch. The actual gearbox will bolt on fine, but you will need to stuff around with hydraulics for your clutch engagment, which IMO isnt worth the hassle. Aftermarket LSD's are available for your gearbox. I would look around for one of them.

Bowzer
27-08-2005, 08:24 PM
The ITR S80 N3E (4.75 FD) or the N4D in the 96 Spec with 4.4 FD will bolt up however you will need to obtain the cable to hydraulic kit from hasport/hcp to use it on the EF chassis.

the other cable tranny worth getting is they YS1 which came in the JDM Xsi Integra DA6 Integra the internals are similar to the hydraulic boxes and have the same input shaft spline so you can use the same clutch kit designed for the B16A/B18C engines.

From memory the Y1 gearbox uses a smaller input shaft with a smaller spline. It is also possible to swap the internals of the hydralic gearboxes into the YS1 cable transmission with some modification to the internal housing...

Going for a aftermarket LSD will be far more superior to the factory Honda LSD units, it has been proven on the track and drag strips... If you got the money look at getting Quaife (USA), Cusco also makes 1.5 way LSD's for Honda's, ATS and Kaaz (JDM)

BSRacer
27-08-2005, 09:00 PM
The ITR S80 N3E (4.75 FD) or the N4D in the 96 Spec with 4.4 FD will bolt up however you will need to obtain the cable to hydraulic kit from hasport/hcp to use it on the EF chassis.

Thanks heaps, but I'm not too up on my integras.
ITR S80 N3E: Year? JDM/AUDM?
N4D: Year? DC2???

Also cannot find kit on hasport.com, hcp website?

Cheers mate

BSRacer
27-08-2005, 09:11 PM
one problem with changing gearboxes on your car will be that you crx has cable clutch and newer model gearboxes have hydraulic clutch. The actual gearbox will bolt on fine, but you will need to stuff around with hydraulics for your clutch engagment, which IMO isnt worth the hassle. Aftermarket LSD's are available for your gearbox. I would look around for one of them.

My box occasionally crunches, mainly at high rpm so I'm looking into replacement options, and I'd rather a newer box than an older one.

Bowzer
28-08-2005, 04:44 AM
Thanks heaps, but I'm not too up on my integras.
ITR S80 N3E: Year? JDM/AUDM?
N4D: Year? DC2???

Also cannot find kit on hasport.com, hcp website?

Cheers mate

ITR S80 N3E 4.75 LSD -> JDM & AUDM 98+
ITR S80 N4D 4.4 LSD -> JDM 96

www.jhpusa.com (http://www.jhpusa.com/) HASport Billet Mount and Cable to Hydro Kit
http://www.jhpusa.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21_31_44&products_id=134&osCsid=25245c6bcf2057154ef71dba4425bab0

BiGANG
28-08-2005, 07:42 AM
My box occasionally crunches, mainly at high rpm so I'm looking into replacement options, and I'd rather a newer box than an older one.

if you get a aftermarket lsd youre going to have to open the box anyway. While its all open, you can put new bearings and synchros through it and check the condition of the actual gears, Any good transmission place will have your box as good as new after that. But if a kit to go from cable to hydraulic is available, it might be be better to replace the whole gb with a newer one. The final choice is yours dude. I would look into the hasport kit a little more and decide how much more work is required and how much more will it cost for the hydraulic box.

n/a
19-09-2005, 11:55 PM

being a 89 how many kms you travel? my box cruches when quick shifting..

j3z3z
20-09-2005, 07:41 PM
In my ef8 the only problem i have is when reving hard and going into 3rd quickly no matter how hard i put the clutch in i crunch! imo my 3rd is screwed and the gb in the ef8 is all good other than my busted 3rd gear! so i would just get your gb worked on and keep it like i plan with mine!