PDA

View Full Version : Mixing Engine oil

integrator
28-08-2005, 09:22 AM
Hi guys,

There is a few questions I wanna ask. My car is currently low on engine oil. I wanna know if I top it up with a different engine oil will it cause problems? This is only temporily till next week when I take my car to service. My car has been drinking abit of engine oil lately, there is no leaks, car is not blowing gray or black smoke unless I really give the car a kick. What might be the cause of this as it seems im losing about 2 litres of oil in less then 5000kms?

cheers guys

91OOM
28-08-2005, 09:24 AM
i wouldn't advise doing that, you may aswell go out and buy a bottle of the oil u'll be getting put in at ur next service.
Put a bit in now to top up then give the rest to the mechanics to put in.

Just by whatever you've got in there atm, same thing.

Chi
28-08-2005, 09:35 AM
It is highly not reccommended.

But some oil is better than no oil.

Just try not ot fang it if u can till ur next service.

integrator
28-08-2005, 09:36 AM
Yeah it has honda oem oil in it at the moment, but the only problem is its a sunday and honda shops are all closed and so I won't be able to get. That's why I was wondering if its was bad to mix engine oil temporily for now

Chi
28-08-2005, 09:43 AM
Are u after honda FEO oil?

IF so are u located in syd, cos i know a few places opened on sun that sell it.

integrator
28-08-2005, 09:51 AM
lol no offense but I'll be a costly oem oil if I get it from sydney today, as I'm in perth

Chi
28-08-2005, 09:53 AM
hahhaha.

no harm in helping i guess.

snowman95
28-08-2005, 03:35 PM
There's no drama with mixing the oil, as long as it the same weight, and it's only for a week or so like you said.

Like Chi said, I'd rather have oil in there than no oil at all, also change the oil yourself!

tinkerbell
28-08-2005, 04:19 PM
It is highly not reccommended.

by who? and why?

kenshin
28-08-2005, 04:41 PM
when you say "low" u mean below the min line indicated on the dipstick?

like chi says better something in there then nothing...
after 10 mins of driving it'll all get mixed up neway

VTECACCORD
28-08-2005, 06:08 PM
geez a lot of people post a lot of heresay, post up what you know to be a fact.

You wont damage ur motor by putting in mixed oils temporarily

Civic Type R
28-08-2005, 06:33 PM
Ok, here it is.
Changing engine oil can be ok and it also can cause some serious damage if you mix the wrong oils.

If you use mineral oil then you can only mix mineral oils.
If you use full synthetic oils then you can ONLY mix other full synthetic oils with it.

If you mix full synthetic with mineral, you will get a chemical reaction which will cause the oil to breakdown and act like an acid and hence eat away at your internals. Hey chuck some Battery acid in your engine while your at it - it does the same damage.

If you use mineral 10w 40 then yes u can put in 5W 30 and or 15W 50 in there no probs. Same as for full synthetic.

quangsta
28-08-2005, 08:42 PM
y dont u just buy oem oil tomorrow top it up and save the rest for another time wen u need topping up....or cant u leave oil once u open it??...

kenshin
28-08-2005, 08:47 PM
oil has no specific used by date...

buy whenever use whenever

KB
28-08-2005, 10:10 PM
I had Feo 10w-30 in my car Sythetic? Running low on oil so bunged some $10 25W-50 Mineral oil down its mouth hole. It loving it.

But when i have my heater on I can smell oil. Hahahahaha Ghetto Fumes.

Felix
28-08-2005, 10:57 PM
This might seem stupid. But whats OEM oil??

Also what the best oil for a DC2 VTIR?
I just used the most expensive oil from Kmart in mine, it said ¨made for performance engines¨ on it

bennjamin
28-08-2005, 11:13 PM

I just used the most expensive oil from Kmart in mine, it said ¨made for performance engines¨ on it

OEM oil is usually the car-branded oil. In this case "FEO" soold by honda dealers for about $26-30.

Best oil ? ID go FEO as a standard...and the most expensive oil from KMART is AFAIK castrol magnatec ? Still , next oil change i would go buy a honda oil filter + 5l of honda oil and keep the fluids for now on from honda :)

Felix
29-08-2005, 09:05 AM
Righteo, will do.
Can you get the FEO oil from anywhere else except Honda dealer?

tinkerbell
29-08-2005, 09:23 AM
OEM oil is usually the car-branded oil. In this case "FEO" soold by honda dealers for about $26-30.

Best oil ? ID go FEO as a standard...and the most expensive oil from KMART is AFAIK castrol magnatec ? Still , next oil change i would go buy a honda oil filter + 5l of honda oil and keep the fluids for now on from honda :)

i used to wait until the KMart "storewide 15% off" sales to get my Mobil 1 as cheap as possible...

this was at Hornsby. so maybe it is store specific what they sell...

BTW - i am running two different brands and weights in my brand new B20VTEC, mixed in with plenty of teflon assembly lube too... going to change it at 1500km though...

civiceg9
29-08-2005, 02:36 PM
If you mix full synthetic with mineral, you will get a chemical reaction which will cause the oil to breakdown and act like an acid and hence eat away at your internals. Hey chuck some Battery acid in your engine while your at it - it does the same damage.

are you sure, u freaken me out.
My car was running on Mobil 1 and since it burn alittle bit of oil, I put in some FEO oil or magnetic.

The bottle say is ok to mix oil but just that it may not perform to its purpose.

Civic Type R
29-08-2005, 03:02 PM
yes im sure.

Civic Type R
29-08-2005, 03:04 PM
I thinbk you need to read this again [Civiceg9].

Ok, here it is.
Changing engine oil can be ok and it also can cause some serious damage if you mix the wrong oils.

If you use mineral oil then you can only mix mineral oils.
If you use full synthetic oils then you can ONLY mix other full synthetic oils with it.

If you use mineral 10w 40 then yes u can put in 5W 30 and or 15W 50 in there no probs. Same as for full synthetic.

tinkerbell
29-08-2005, 03:54 PM
hmmmm, so what about when you change from mineral oil to synth?

do you have to flush the engine? how many times? by what method, what with?

also - can you please explain the chemical *reasons* for the kinda illogical:

oil + oil = acid?

equation you suggest occurs when adding mineral oil to sythetic oil or vica versa???

please, i am keen to know why!!!

oh, and further - care to explain what "semi-synthetic" oil has got to do with all this stuff?

is it a mix of mineral oil and synthetic or something else entirely?

and can you mix mineral oil and semi-synthetic or semi-synthetic and full-synthetic? or will this make acid too?

Civic Type R
29-08-2005, 04:31 PM
hmmmm, so what about when you change from mineral oil to synth?

do you have to flush the engine? how many times? by what method, what with?

also - can you please explain the chemical *reasons* for the kinda illogical:

oil + oil = acid?

equation you suggest occurs when adding mineral oil to sythetic oil or vica versa???

please, i am keen to know why!!!

oh, and further - care to explain what "semi-synthetic" oil has got to do with all this stuff?

is it a mix of mineral oil and synthetic or something else entirely?

and can you mix mineral oil and semi-synthetic or semi-synthetic and full-synthetic? or will this make acid too?

What part of my explanation dont you understand Tinkerbell ?
Read it again and re read your post :thumbsup:

tinkerbell
29-08-2005, 04:37 PM
If you mix full synthetic with mineral, you will get a chemical reaction which will cause the oil to breakdown and act like an acid and hence eat away at your internals.

i don't understand this bit,

please explain it in more detail, providing relevent sources for your explaination...

Civic Type R
29-08-2005, 04:57 PM
when i get more time i will.

atm its the least of my priorities. Unless you want to elaborate on the subject further ;)

tinkerbell
29-08-2005, 05:09 PM
when i get more time i will.

atm its the least of my priorities. Unless you want to elaborate on the subject further ;)

well since you asked.

you are WRONG.

mixing mineral oil and synthetic oil will not cause it to "chemically react" and "act like an acid"

that is just absurd!

see here:

http://www.chris-longhurst.com/carbibles/engineoil_bible.html

If you've been driving around with mineral oil in your engine for years, don't switch to synthetic oil without preparation. Synthetic oils have been known to dislodge the baked-on deposits from mineral oils and leave them floating around your engine

not a chemical reaction at all, and probably the WORST that could happen, 'oh noes! lucky i have a filter to catch the dislodged oil deposits'

other things that can happen are that the oil seals may settle with mineral oil and will weep if a different oil is used - note differnt not just mineral to non-mineral, but if you switch BRANDS of mineral/synthetic oil this can occur...

but anywyas,

go play on google and you will find your statement is one of the most laughed at as "internet bunkum" around....

and i leave you with:

http://www.imakenews.com/rotella/e_article000398800.cfm?x=b57g4m6,b2lKnS5l,w

and finally:

http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=42;t=001646

Civic Type R
29-08-2005, 05:12 PM
so why didnt you post this yesterday ?

He also clearly says "don't switch to synthetic oil without preparation"

;)

as for mixing the oils, try mixing the two and post your results :thumbsup:

KB
29-08-2005, 05:43 PM
Proof or BAN :p

KB
29-08-2005, 05:46 PM
Oh Who am I kidding, Mods should just BAN every person on this forum. Least then wont be so much crap being posted.

Civic Type R
29-08-2005, 05:51 PM
Will I Harm My Engine By Mixing Synthetic Oil and Mineral Oil?
Dan Arcy Sets Us Strait
No, you will not.
No, you will not. This is an all too common misconception, and one with no scientific data to support it.

The rest of the article states that you can change from Mineral to Synthetic and vice versa.. Yes you can do that and we already knew that. However, you must fully drain out the existing oil first.

As with this common misconception with no scientific data to support it. Kyle, would you like to donate your car for our oils experiment ?

KB
29-08-2005, 06:03 PM
Yeh, but you pay for a full service after.

Civic Type R
29-08-2005, 06:07 PM
lol .. pass

tinkerbell
29-08-2005, 08:38 PM
so why didnt you post this yesterday ?

i thought YOU might actually provide some reasons for your statements,

obviously you had none, and were just posting bullshit.

oh, well...

Civic Type R
29-08-2005, 10:55 PM
i thought YOU might actually provide some reasons for your statements,

obviously you had none, and were just posting bullshit.

oh, well...

Excuse me Tinkerbell, instead of trying to be a smart ass, you can contribute to threads with a little more respect and stop trying to think you are a walking Honda tuning manual with something to prove.

Your findings are valid yet unconclusive for all you can come up with is an answer your source can not provide proof of. "This is an all too common misconception, and one with no scientific data to support it."

If you are so sure of yourself, why dont you pop your oil cap and mix freely full synthetic with mineral oil and get over yourself. Then provide us and everyone here with your results. :thumbsup:

Until then, keep searching your internet assistant GOOGLE until you find us substantial scientific data to prove this common misconception and every mechanic i know wrong.

T-onedc2
29-08-2005, 10:56 PM

OEM = Original Equipment Manufacturer
I use Mobil 1 5w-50w Fully Synthetic :thumbsup:

tinkerbell
29-08-2005, 11:04 PM
Excuse me Tinkerbell, instead of trying to be a smart ass, you can contribute to threads with a little more respect and stop trying to think you are a walking Honda tuning manual with something to prove.

Your findings are valid yet unconclusive for all you can come up with is an answer your source can not provide proof of. "This is an all too common misconception, and one with no scientific data to support it."

If you are so sure of yourself, why dont you pop your oil cap and mix freely full synthetic with mineral oil and get over yourself. Then provide us and everyone here with your results. :thumbsup:

Until then, keep searching your internet assistant GOOGLE until you find us substantial scientific data to prove this common misconception and every mechanic i know wrong.

don't get too upset, let's not forget who told everyone that:

If you mix full synthetic with mineral, you will get a chemical reaction which will cause the oil to breakdown and act like an acid and hence eat away at your internals.

maybe if you checked you facts before posting... maybe i would not have to PROVE anything in the first place?

true?

ProECU
29-08-2005, 11:07 PM
you've only PROVED one thing in my book...

KB
29-08-2005, 11:10 PM
I smell a BANNING in the air.

KB
29-08-2005, 11:14 PM
hey when I change my oil next ill keep the left overs, ill test it to see if there any metalic particals in it. and use it on objects around the house and see if it acid burns stuff

tinkerbell
29-08-2005, 11:15 PM
you've only PROVED one thing in my book...

that the internet is stranger than fiction?

Civic Type R
29-08-2005, 11:17 PM
/unsubscribes from thread.

ProECU
29-08-2005, 11:19 PM
You can actually have your old oil chemically tested for contaminants, such as metals, fuel etc etc.

A lot of race teams go to this extreme to get an idea of how the engine is performing.

hey when I change my oil next ill keep the left overs, ill test it to see if there any metalic particals in it. and use it on objects around the house and see if it acid burns stuff

tinkerbell
29-08-2005, 11:23 PM
You can actually have your old oil chemically tested for contaminants, such as metals, fuel etc etc.

for example:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/whatisoilanalysis.htm

tinkerbell
29-08-2005, 11:32 PM
but if the engine oil is sitting in my engine unused it has a useby date..:confused:

well, oil that has *been used* is different, but for the sake of NEW oil:

for example Penrite states:

In most cases, the performance properties of
liquid lubricants (oils) will remain intact for
many years provided they have been in
protected storage and not exposed to severe
high/low temperature cycles. Generally, the
simpler oil formulation, the longer the oil will
remain satisfactory.

and specifically:

Hydraulic Engine / Motor Oils and
Transmission Oils
Although these oils contain high additive
contents, they are extremely stable. They
may be stored for five (5) years under
protected conditions* without any
significant deterioration in performance.

http://www.penrite.com.au/techbulletins/42ShelfLifeofOils.pdf?PHPSESSID=6d3a89a9ecd588ce95 89f2e794f2fc44

but oil that has been used, ie subjected to heat and friction, it will begin to break down and this is why you change oil at X'000km or every 6 -12 months (whichever coems first...)

zoopsta
29-08-2005, 11:46 PM
hey guys,

just a noob question, ive been getting mixed reponses for this one.

my lude vti-r has been serviced religiously at a honda dealership (prior owner) and now its time for me to change the oil (its got nearly 165k)

I bought Castrol Formula R Synthetic 0-40w

Do i have to do a flush before i change to the synthetic? Or would it be alright to switch over and change after say 5000-10000kms?

tinkerbell
30-08-2005, 10:14 AM
hey guys,

just a noob question, ive been getting mixed reponses for this one.

my lude vti-r has been serviced religiously at a honda dealership (prior owner) and now its time for me to change the oil (its got nearly 165k)

I bought Castrol Formula R Synthetic 0-40w

Do i have to do a flush before i change to the synthetic? Or would it be alright to switch over and change after say 5000-10000kms?

flush with what? no product i know of can "prepare" your engine for a different type of oil?

my VTiR teg had 155'000km on it and i switched straight to castrol Formula R as soon as i bought it...

i did not notice any problems after doing so. the B20VTEC engine i just installed in my VTiR has been running on mineral oil since i built it and i am switching straight over to Mobil 1 full synth this weekend...(i highly doubt there will be ANY problems with this as the seals are all brand new and have net set with a particular type of oil)

as this Penrite fact sheet states:
http://www.penrite.com.au/techbulletins/30_MIXING_MINERAL_AND_SYNTHETIC.pdf

When changing from any oil type to the other the possibility of short term oil consumption may arise - regardless of the type of base oil.
and finishes with:

In all cases, the old oil should be fully drained and the filters replaced when changing one oil to another, even within brands.
i dunno about you, but i always change my filter when i change my oil, they are only like 8 bucks or so...

and since your car is newish, it will have less problems than say a 1984 Ford Telstar in changing over oil type, IMO...

THE_MASS
30-08-2005, 09:09 PM
there should be no problem with mixing oil as long as they are the same type of oil i.e. 15w-40. ive done that many times with my car as ive ran out of the oil that i used in my service but i always use brand name oil. NEVER use chesp stuff. it doesnt do any harm. my mech. says that its fine aslong as you change it a.s.a.p.

zoopsta
30-08-2005, 10:26 PM
Oh Ok, thanks

Nah i just read parts of the oil bible and he author said something along the lines of: when changing to synthetic from mineral based oil, you first drain the mineral oil, leaving the old filter on. Then put 0-20w oil in and run it for 20mins or so. Drain it and change filter and put in the new oil.

But yeah, i think ill just swap over.

tinkerbell
30-08-2005, 10:42 PM
Oh Ok, thanks

Nah i just read parts of the oil bible and he author said something along the lines of: when changing to synthetic from mineral based oil, you first drain the mineral oil, leaving the old filter on. Then put 0-20w oil in and run it for 20mins or so. Drain it and change filter and put in the new oil.

oh, OK, so you can kinda flush it with thinner weight oil, that makes sense...

i have done it many times (just swapped over), but as THE_MASS suggests, using excellent quality oil would be an important part of success...