PDA

View Full Version : how do comp subs work

ah789454
21-02-2004, 11:11 AM
how do those subs work, when the front is screwed into the box and all you can see is the magnet. im toking bout those subs that look like they could be bombs.

madgrk
21-02-2004, 12:04 PM
Not following your question. If you mean when you can see the magnet and not the front of the sub, then its just reverse mounted. Doesnt improve performance or anything, just an aesthetic thing

Rowie
21-02-2004, 12:39 PM
the bass is soaked up by the box and pushed out the hole. The box is tuned at just the right size for the sub.

if thats what your talking about?

vti-2
21-02-2004, 01:06 PM
You must have seen inverted subs. It is mainly done for show cars that want a flashy installation (it can get extra points for display :)). They basically reverse the wiring so that the subs are not out of phase. Because it is facing inside the box with the magnet in the air you need to reverse the wiring so that it is still in phase otherwise the sub will not operate properly.

You also get isobaric type installation but those are when the subs are bolted into each other (i.e. the cones are facing each other). :D

I hope i haven't confused you even more.

bumthology
21-02-2004, 07:09 PM
Vti-2 is right about the isobaric type. However, Any subs can be used in competition,..even boss.. even $20 subs.. its just a competition hwoever, doesnt necesarily mean they will win.
My pheonix gold subs dont say competition anywhere, yet they kill kicker competition subs.
With inverted setups, it doesnt make a difference, as the sub works the same. However if your subs structure takes up a lot of volume, u would get like 1-2 litres more (sub box volume) if u want to invert it
hehe

traNce_gl
21-02-2004, 09:34 PM
here 2 pics of this inverted sub setup

http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/i=wMjgzMDczNnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D

http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage2.wtdr/i=wMjgzMDc0NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

toE
22-02-2004, 12:44 AM
OMG...i've gone blind!! :)

McChook
22-02-2004, 02:05 AM
Bling bling muther****er

Man, I make do with my 400w 10in sub - does plenty of damage in my lude

Fhrx
23-02-2004, 08:14 AM
I shouldn't say it but my battery alone is worth more than that entire boot set-up. :)

poid
23-02-2004, 09:11 AM
it had to be said really :D

fozee
16-03-2004, 11:02 PM
Nothing like chrome for the BLING factor, but thats it for that set up!

As said any sub can be used in as for a comp but....

You find that pure SPL comp orientated subs will have an excursion rate somewhere in the vacinity of +/-25mm this is so it pushes more air hence increasing SPL in the cabin. They can dissipate heat better and have much higher power handling capacity: dual voice coils. To make it look real hardcore they will have a very solid Cast frame too boot.

If you arent after SPL or Bling dont waste the cash cause you will need fairly some fairly decent WRMS too keep them happy.

poid
17-03-2004, 07:20 AM
dual voice coils doesnt mean higher power handling, it means more flexibility in the voice coil configuration and means you can hook up 2 amps to the sub without having to strap them.

This is also the reason behind the quad coil configurations you'll see in a lot of classes which allow only 1 or 2 subs

wynode
17-03-2004, 07:54 AM
You can pick reverse mountable subs by their magnet/rear end looking BLING BLING :)

fozee
17-03-2004, 08:31 AM
Dual voice coil increases the subs ability to dissapate heat, right?
so less heat = more power handling capability..

In an installation dual voice coils lets you pump twice as much power into the same size enclosure.

Dual voice coil also gives you the ability to bridge two channels in an amp together to run it at a lower impedence.
2 Ohm stable amp will often provide a higher output as there is less resistance/reactance.

wynode
17-03-2004, 10:34 AM
I thought dual voice coils allowed the sub to handle more power?

fozee
17-03-2004, 10:53 AM
I didnt explain my self correctly, again...

Dual voice coil doesnt dissipate heat much more effectively than a single.. but it still does, though its not the reason it can handle more power.

I said you can pump twice the power in..... you cant, so to speak, sorry.
I explained it badly.

For example..
The speaker has two voice coils, each rated @ 100WRMS.
If each coil is being fed 100WRMS inphase the the total power handled by the sub is 200WRMS..

100WRMS + 100WRMS (in phase) = 200WRMS

A question though...

If a DVC sub can push with double the power of SVC does it punch harder or move more air than an SVC??

LUD02C
17-03-2004, 02:00 PM
I luv the BOSS subs, worth about what $100 each at straithfield?

Marty good call about the battery

Javed
17-03-2004, 03:04 PM
I shouldn't say it but my battery alone is worth more than that entire boot set-up. :)

Bwahahahahah, GOLD! :twisted: