PDA

View Full Version : Civic 96' EK Sedan - Turn ABS Off ?

MaTTeO
28-08-2005, 04:04 PM
Went out for a little bit of a cruise last night with me in my Civic & my mate in his Integra, yes yes i know there is no comparison

But anyway, he suggested to me once we got back home, that i have my ABS disabled, because it seems to be way too sensitive for my style of driving

So i'm just wondering if there is an easy way to disable ABS or if this is only in the domain of an Auto Electrician ?

vividjazz
28-08-2005, 05:05 PM
Wouldn't just pulling the fuse out of the fuse box for the ABS do the trick??? Probably cause the warning light to come on?

I found the Honda ABS kicks in pretty late especially compared to Falcons and Commodores.

aimre
28-08-2005, 10:09 PM
take out fuse BUT put it back in if it starts to rain, coz humans cant stop quicker in the wet (but they can in dry)

e240
28-08-2005, 10:12 PM
Went out for a little bit of a cruise last night with me in my Civic & my mate in his Integra, yes yes i know there is no comparison

But anyway, he suggested to me once we got back home, that i have my ABS disabled, because it seems to be way too sensitive for my style of driving

So i'm just wondering if there is an easy way to disable ABS or if this is only in the domain of an Auto Electrician ?

The ABS is probably one of the best drivers aid every invented. Its just plain dumb to disable it for street driving.

I quite enjoy having ABS though, you can just floor the brakes without having to worry about locking up and sliding. Why don't you try braking earlier? Late brakings usually done when people make mistakes anyway...

|N|
28-08-2005, 10:20 PM
i say its extremely stupid to disable a safety feature....

Integra_Type[R]
04-09-2005, 05:39 PM
if you have upgraded pads... then yes disable it if you want better performance
the ek abs kicks in way too early.. wet or dry.. the abs is great for daily driving but for hard driving it increases the distance it takes to stop
but depending on driving style and experience.. it maybe best if you have it in

if u want it off just take off the abs fuse.. located below your battery in the engine bay

chameleon
05-09-2005, 03:56 PM
which fuse? there are 3 fuses in the ABS fuse box

wynode
05-09-2005, 04:35 PM
']
the ek abs kicks in way too early.. wet or dry.. the abs is great for daily driving but for hard driving it increases the distance it takes to stop

Is there any proof to that statement?

STOCK
05-09-2005, 04:39 PM
I remember talking to a couple of guys that go track racing telling me they actually do faster lap times with ABS on (different story in initial d though) But if you insist if you want to turn it off just pull out the fuse.

wynode
05-09-2005, 04:50 PM
I remember when tinkerbell took out his ABS fuse for a bit at wakefield. There were quite a few lockups as he got used to it, but the fuse went back in after that session. If anyone wants I'll try and digup his comments on CRSX about this.

wynode
05-09-2005, 04:52 PM
OK here is some reading:

http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=242383&page=1&pp=25&highlight=abs+track

And tinkerbell's comment

i removed the ABS fuse for one session, and was locked up a few times...

but i did adjust my braking to account for it, and was hardly locking up by the end of the session.

i think it was easier with ABS, but i could tell that it would make a difference if it was disconected,

particulary when the car was going around 'corners' and braking at teh same time, where the ABS kicked in NOT due to the skidding of the tyres, but due to the computer sensing brake pressure, with wheels going different speed and the ABS computer applying ABS...

ie particualry noticable at turn 5, but i am sure it existed on most other non-straight braking sections...

|N|
05-09-2005, 04:57 PM
well... y would u want to take out the abs for street driving ???

shouldnt be drivin like an idiot anyway ...

_CiVIC_
05-09-2005, 05:13 PM
well... y would u want to take out the abs for street driving ???

shouldnt be drivin like an idiot anyway ...

exactly! Honda didn't design our cars with such sophistication for you to go tamper with a factory safety setting.. You must be out of your mind MaTTeO

Integra_Type[R]
06-09-2005, 03:25 PM
personal experience..
the dc2r abs is quite good actually only activating when it really needs to..
the ek one on the other hand under just normal braking hitting a pot hole or a fare bump (melbourne roads) activates the abs and it won't turn off til u lift ur foot or have stopped completely.. and under hard braking will activate even tho there is plenty of pedal left til it locks up therefore increasing braking distance... there have been a few times where the abs has engaged and im left with the pulsing sensation thru the pedal trying to stop my car.. i've only had this problem on an ek4 with upgraded brakes (pads+rotor+fluid) tho and as the guy who started this thread was referring to his ek this is my opinion

in the end you never know til u try..
i took out the yellow fuse... 20a i think?
even tho abs is honda designed doesn't mean its the best.. if this was true then why modify your car? in a nutshell i could describe the ek abs system as "sensitive" and the dc2r one as "last resort".. well from a performance point of view..