PDA

View Full Version : CD5 Newb Q. Lowering car

Rico
28-08-2005, 08:31 PM
Ok I've decided to lower my accord on my stock wheels first (doing basically what Spoon Accord did with his cd5 and use the black steel hubcaps anyways)...I want to dump the car by like 3.5".
Now I've read on the forums that I'm bound for a bumpy ride, well this I can take. However first I need your help cause I don't have any knowledge on suspension and handling.
Whats the best priced (for cheapos like myself) springs to do this job? Could someone list the cheapest and then like best price for your money lowering springs to drop it 3.5"? I'm looking to spend around 500 - 700 for this job, if thats enough? And any places in Sydney that are cheap for doing this job.

Also to reduce the bumpy ride - would buying a front and rear strut bar help?
How about buying strut shocks - would they help? (I saw some ones on American Ebay selling for $250 US). Would these stop the car from beind lowered or something? Any any other

Sorry about the noobs question, I'm only starting to learn about cars.

Much appreciated. :thumbsup:

my_honda
29-08-2005, 09:11 AM
Roll over to Online Performance. Had my prelude dumped 3" front & 3.5" back. feels ok compared to other mates cars. Their custom JUMBO springs. Made and installed for $400. Takes around 3-4 days to make them and 4-5hrs to fit them. Online are located at Hoxten Park. Ask for JIM. Ph: 02 9826 6602. Good luck bro..

2DR33M
30-08-2005, 06:37 PM
Ozzy Tyres do the same kind of deal, they use K-mac custom set springs and you can have them measured to the height you want. But again same deal, take a fews days to make up then fitting. They charge $390, they are located in liverpool, not completley sure of the address..... http://www.ozzytyres.com.au

But when chucking in some lowered springs it will get a little bumpy ( known as hte Pimp Bounce :p ) if yo uwant a truley smooth ride get a set of sports shocks as well

good luck

tim...

smoknhothonda
30-08-2005, 07:10 PM
I had my CD5 lowered on a set of short body bilstein shocks with matching springs and it rode excellent. The ride height was about 3" lower then stock.

Its a good height, still looks low, bit is still ok for getting out of most driveways etc.

But you can still maintain a reasonable ride with quality dampeners like the bilsteins, dont touch the Ebay stuff mate!!

I have Bilstein struts and shocks that have adjustable spring perches (to alter the height) sitting in my shed that I would sell for around $700

If you want to be lower the 3.5" you need air, plus a much bigger budget.

Let me know if you are interested :)

Rico
30-08-2005, 07:40 PM
hmmm I'll have to get back to you mate, but for now these quick jobs seem pretty tempting to me..probably get shocks after (if thats possible?)
I heard king springs were good and cheap aswell for the lowering job?
Any places like near the city or near the north or around the balmain area? Liverpool seems a bit far..

my_honda
31-08-2005, 07:51 AM
Go to tempe tyres....i think they do springs. I would recommend not to go with kings. i think they go as low as 2.5". www.tempetyres.com.au

smoknhothonda
31-08-2005, 07:23 PM
You will have an absolute shocking ride with lowered springs and stock shocks.

Especially at a 3.5" drop in ride height. I originally had a set of lowered springs put in, then I got Shocks and springs put in, and it cost me twice as much, because I had to pay for labour twice.

Do it right the 1st time and you wont be dissapointed.

If you can only afford the springs just go for a 2" drop, then later on when you can afford shocks go the 3.5" drop ;)

Rico
31-08-2005, 07:49 PM
well do shocks allow you to lower the car 3.5" or do you have to buy springs first then shocks?
If the shocks lower the car aswell I might aswell buy shocks? I don't want to spend paying heaps of money and I dont want a real bad ride, my house is surrounded by speed humps in every direction for a mile.

smoknhothonda
31-08-2005, 07:56 PM
Yes shocks do lower the ride even further, a set of Koni Bilstein short body shocks will drop it close to 1/2- 1" alone.

You iwll get a bad ride with the 3.5" drop springs because the springs will have a high spring rate to avoid bottoming out, so therfore teh stocks shocks will be totally mismateched with the stiff springs

Soft shocks (originals) plus 3.5" lower springs = a shit bouncy ride that wont handle

koni/bilstein shocks that are valved to suit stiff springs = a car that handles, doesnt bounce, and gives you a firm reasonable ride.

Trust me its a world of difference when you change your soft original shocks (that are designed for comfort more so then handling) for a set of aftermarket shocks.

Rico
31-08-2005, 09:17 PM
So how much are a set a good shocks that'll lower my cd5 by 3.5" all round? What price range? Do the shocks ur selling lower 3.5"? Also wif shocks do they have to make them and fit them or are like they universal, just plug and play?

smoknhothonda
01-09-2005, 06:50 AM
I paid $1500 for my short body bilstein shocks with springs fitted.

I would only reccommend installing Koni's or Bilsteins, monroe etc wont handle a 3" drop.

I had my car lowered 3" with the short body bilstein shocks and springs. At the front of the car i couldnt fit my fingers between the tyre and the guard, and at the back I had half a finger gap between the tyre and the guard, it was pretty low!!

Yes you can get a 3.5" drop with the spring shocks Im selling ;)

No shocks and springs are universal dude :) they are specific for each model and make.

2DR33M
01-09-2005, 08:43 AM
DON'T GO TO TEMPE TO LOWER YOUR CAR

just a little warning for ya, you can ask a few of the ozHonda boys who have gone, there, nothing but complaints.. and when tempe have done a shocking job they take no resposability for it.

Go with a set of Koni shocks dude, well proced and will give that super smooth ride :D