PDA

View Full Version : Third Gear Grinding Sound

Rendezvous
28-08-2005, 10:12 PM
Hi All,

I have almost reach the first 1000kms on my 2005 Euro 6MT and have noticed that when Im in running in third gear and pushing/putting pressure on the gear knob upwards (1st 3rd and 5th as opposed to 2nd 4th and 6th are downwards), a faint grinding noise can be heard. For some reason it does not happen in any other gear only the 3rd. Has anyone else noticed this faint grinding noise or did I get a dodgy gearbox?

PERTH_EURO
28-08-2005, 10:23 PM
yes i have had this too in my 04 luxury.

raised it with service guy and he said that when there is pressure applied to it, its normal.

I accepted that.... maybe worth asking another dealer about it

Suntzu
28-08-2005, 11:10 PM
My Euro 6sp has a slight rattle when downshifting in 3rd and 2nd. its annoying and im asking it to be looked at.

Rendezvous
31-08-2005, 06:08 PM
Doesnt sound like its too good for the gears, I have a habit of resting my hand on the gear knob and inadvertedly push the knob upwards to make sure it is in gear, and not to mention I spend a lot of time in 3rd gear as it is one of my favourite gears. It seems to be ok with the other gears only the 3rd gear where the grinding sound can be heard. Have not had a problem with other cars I've owned (91 Accord EXI, 96 Accord VTI) only this one.

Speeder
31-08-2005, 09:15 PM
I heard its not good to rest your hand on the gear stick, or applying any pressure. My uncle told me this and he has been in the car industry (electrician and mechanics) for his whole life, so i tend to trust him.

V205
31-08-2005, 10:53 PM
Did you ask why? Interesting to know...

I heard its not good to rest your hand on the gear stick, or applying any pressure. My uncle told me this and he has been in the car industry (electrician and mechanics) for his whole life, so i tend to trust him.

aaronng
31-08-2005, 11:56 PM
On mine, it is not a grind, but more of a vibration through the knob. It's because you're pulling the linkages tight, so the vibration from the spinning gear is being transmitted more strongly. Don't worry about it. But keep your hand on the wheel you will get quicker steering response. :)

Ferrarista
01-09-2005, 12:18 AM
I also notice that when i apply pressure to it, like Aarron said its more of a vibration for me

Suntzu
01-09-2005, 08:50 AM
I dont gear much gear stick vibration. Mine just a whirl-ckick in rapid sequences when i done shift. I will get my digital recorder out and record the file for you guys to listen to and tell me if its normal.

h22a accord
01-09-2005, 09:55 AM
its perfectly normal but its bad to push as it is metal on metal and u will eventually wear something out.

I had it on my 5th gen accord with f22b engine and gear box and i have it now with h22a gearbox.

Spoon-Accord
01-09-2005, 10:07 AM
i have it on my 5th gear. have to double clutch it.. no idea why. its weird.. honda's make all sorts or noises and grinding heheh:D

kenny

aaronng
01-09-2005, 10:13 AM
I dont gear much gear stick vibration. Mine just a whirl-ckick in rapid sequences when i done shift. I will get my digital recorder out and record the file for you guys to listen to and tell me if its normal.
I think Rendevouz was complaining about a grinding feeling after being in gear, when he holds the 3rd gear up with his hand instead of the actual shift.

h22a accord
03-09-2005, 08:10 AM
i read somewhere that it is the syncros and you will weare them out if u push on it too much.

ken, my 5th gear needs double clutch when cold and when its warm it needs it more often than not. weird.

glad its 5th gear and not 3rd gear though lol.

V205
03-09-2005, 10:10 AM
Most cars I've owned.. (new & 2nd hand)... I've always noticed that 2nd gear needs the most care when putting it in gear.