PDA

View Full Version : Yo whats going on, car "ticks", starts then stalls??

sharky
28-08-2005, 10:31 PM
hi all,

Ive been having problems with starting my car in the morning. When i turn the key to ignition sometimes it just makes a ticking sound every time i turn the key to start it up. Im guessing the sounds the relay. The battery i replaced only 8 months ago so it shouldnt be that. Then this morning when i turned the key to ignition it ticked, struggled to life then stalled. Fuel pump, fuse, engine seizing up (its had a hard life under my ownership)??

bennjamin
28-08-2005, 11:39 PM
sounds like your starter motor ? Open ur bonnet - disconnect your negative terminal on the battery for safety THEN check to see that all wires to your starter motor are held and tight. Also check ground cables etc...

wynode
28-08-2005, 11:53 PM
Is it like an almost continuous ticking sound? If you battery was recently changed and is operating fine, check you start motor connectors. Failing that.......it might be a starter motor problem.

bennjamin
28-08-2005, 11:57 PM
what he said which what i said :)

sharky
29-08-2005, 08:56 AM
cheers guys ill have a look today, let you know

Spoon-Accord
29-08-2005, 11:14 AM
probably your alternator.. not charging?
if it starts.. then conks out then the battery it dying with no charge..

put ur headlights on and start.. if its really dim. ur alternator or starter is dead..

Kenny

SKREMN
29-08-2005, 07:16 PM
my car did that sometimes and i got the terminals inside changed
I think its the poles not shure?
solved my problem
when I looked at them thery where warn out heeps
its like having bad continuaty

paulosportz
29-08-2005, 07:56 PM
this happened to my tx3
sometimes it would start fine but most of the time it would struggle to start
click click then s tart

was the starter motor

ECU-MAN
30-08-2005, 12:15 AM
could be your PGMFI relay

wynode
30-08-2005, 12:20 AM
probably your alternator.. not charging?
if it starts.. then conks out then the battery it dying with no charge..

put ur headlights on and start.. if its really dim. ur alternator or starter is dead..

Kenny
The ticking noise is usually the starter not being able to draw enough current or the starter itself is faulty.

sharky
30-08-2005, 01:50 PM
checked the starter motor terminals, alot of built up dust and crap around them but the wires are all still housed tight. It did it again this morning tho. Think its time to go see honda.

MIRZ
03-10-2005, 08:34 AM
i m facing very similar problem Sharky, what happened with your car lately ???

what did you find with honda?

only difference is mine only give "TICKS" and either start or does not start, but nothing happens other than "TICK"

VT3C
03-10-2005, 03:51 PM
dont take this the wrong way, but are your battery terminals tight and free from corrosion ? I had this happen once and was simply he terminals.

MIRZ
03-10-2005, 04:16 PM
negative terminal has full grip but positive terminal is bit loose and even with hand you can pull it out.

dont why it was fine almost a yer ago, but for last one year its like this.

wynode
04-10-2005, 12:16 AM
Tighten all your terminals PROPERLY.

Poor connectors can give you problems starting also.

crxzzR
10-10-2005, 08:51 PM
Try this:
turn on ignition.. don't crank but just turn on..wait till engine light goes off...
then Crank..
should work fine
i've got this problem with my d16a8.. possibly fuel pressure is low..

Weq
10-10-2005, 09:06 PM
tick tick is either battery dieing or starter dieing/needing maintence

wynode
10-10-2005, 11:52 PM
tick tick is either battery dieing or starter dieing/needing maintence
Ditto.

If your battery and starter are fine........check your battery terminals.

MIRZ
12-10-2005, 04:06 PM
this sound is from starter motor, take it to auto elec, will be fixed in couple of hrs.

quangsta
12-10-2005, 11:16 PM
i friends 4wd had a continuous ticking noise.......tried to jump start it and roll start it wouldnt work...simply changed the battery to a yellow top and it was like new again(not that u have to use a yellow top) buh guess could b a sign of a battery dying.....becareful u dont try to keep starting the car cause the '........' (forgot what they are called) continue to heat everytime u try and begin to smok and yerr....pretty much keep trying to start ur car continuously without it starting leads to more problems

Ryanair
13-10-2005, 06:31 PM
You should be able to clutch start it if it's the starter motor, I had this replaced 4 weeks ago, same problem, it gets progressively worse too. BTW the kit to recondition your starter motor is like $40, but if you get someone else to do this it's about $240 from an autoelectrician. Someone else had the same problem in this forum not more than a couple of months back.....as below

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29403

spardikis
13-10-2005, 06:53 PM
i always thought that the ticking was either one of two things (not sure if its 100% for honda starter motors)... Starter not getting enough current for what ever reason or The solinod for ur stater is fried... If its not ur battery try tapping the starter motor with a spanner or something before starting or while ur tryin to turn the key (careful of fingers/hands). that usually helps if its ur solinod

wynode
14-10-2005, 01:25 AM
We've already said what the cause of a 'ticking' starter motor are. *sigh*

If the starter won't give enough spark to turn the motor over and you end up flodding it you will have more problems so keep that in mind.

Sharky, we've given you all the advice so if you are still having a problem or want to post a reply, PM a mod and we can re-open this for you.