PDA

View Full Version : Help Needed . Just a few questions.

KB
21-02-2004, 04:02 PM
My car is a 1996 civic coupe' vti,
currently my stereo setup as is;

Pioneer 50watt * 4 head unit ( 1 pre out)
pioneer 150watt splits (running off deck)
sony 6*9 (running off deck)
Clarion 200.2 Amp
Pionner 12 inch sub (running off clarion amp)

was gonna go and buy an amp to run either my 4 speakers or just my 6*9s. Was wondering

Can my car handle two amps without needing a capasitor or bigger battery/alternator setup?

Can I split my rca preout and run it to each amp? Or is it better to use speaker level inputs for the second amp?

Likewise with control wire. Can I split that and run it two each amp?

As with 12 volt power supply. Can i split that in two and have it going two each amp or do i need to run a seperate power wire for each amp?

*takes breath*

If anyone can help
much appreciated :) :)

Kyle

vti-2
21-02-2004, 05:04 PM
My car is a 1996 civic coupe' vti,
currently my stereo setup as is;

Pioneer 50watt * 4 head unit ( 1 pre out)
pioneer 150watt splits (running off deck)
sony 6*9 (running off deck)
Clarion 200.2 Amp
Pionner 12 inch sub (running off clarion amp)

was gonna go and buy an amp to run either my 4 speakers or just my 6*9s. Was wondering

Can my car handle two amps without needing a capasitor or bigger battery/alternator setup?

Can I split my rca preout and run it to each amp? Or is it better to use speaker level inputs for the second amp?

Likewise with control wire. Can I split that and run it two each amp?

As with 12 volt power supply. Can i split that in two and have it going two each amp or do i need to run a seperate power wire for each amp?

*takes breath*

If anyone can help
much appreciated :) :)

Kyle

I'd buy an amp for the splits and just run the 6x9's off the HU. You don't want too much power going to the rear speakers cause it will destroy your sound stage so running the 6x9's off the HU is ample.

Alternatively, sell your 2-channel amp, buy a 'higher-end' 4-channel amp and run the sub off two channels and the splits off the other two. This way, you don't have to worry about using splitters at the back for two amps etc.

If you are running a stock battery, upgrade it because it will start to run flat real quick and eventually shit itself. By the way, drycell batteries are the way to go (i.e. Optima, Odyssey, Powercel). If you are into car audio already, you will most likely upgrade sooner rather than later (trust me) and the stock battery isn't going to cope. :twisted:

Don't waste your money on a capacitor either (do you know what they actually do?). Don't worry about the alternator for now. Your setup isn't extreme yet.

What guage power/earth cabling have you got at the moment? I'd suggest using minimum 4gauge.

Some links:
http://www.optimabatteries.com/
http://www.odysseybatteries.com/auto.htm

And a very useful link you should save to favourites:
http://www.auscaraudio.com

KB
21-02-2004, 10:03 PM
thanks dude.
that helps heaps. i got like 300 $ +anything i can get for my clarion amp. that should be enuf.
i hope

:)

thanks

toE
22-02-2004, 12:40 AM
Realistically, your headunit is puttin out 25WRMS... but that's besides the case.

If you intend to keep your speakers and sub, then i'd do wat vti-2 has just said about getting a 4-channel amp, and run it the way he mentioned.

if u're on a budget, then just get a Jaycar Response 4-channel amp. I reckon that should be sufficient for ur set-up.

euro77
23-02-2004, 07:23 AM
If you still want to split your pre-out, yes there are RCA splitters out there, not a difficult item to look for.

Theoretically, you only need 75wrms x 2 for the front splits, you can get one of these amps for around $150-$200 which should be a good brand.

Or else, do like vti-2 suggests, sell the current amp, and get a 3-channel or 4-channel amps. Audison SRx3 (2 x 75 watts + 1 x 300 watts @ 4 ohms) is a very nice 3-channel amp :D I think it's around $450-$550 (can't really remember the price)

Where about are you?

Fhrx
23-02-2004, 08:12 AM
They (SRx3) retail for $697 euro - we do them cheaper for OzHonda members though. :)