PDA

View Full Version : How to take off airbag steering wheel?

[ganas]
21-02-2004, 06:38 PM
Hi guys, does anyone know how to take off airbag steering wheel? I found that there're 2 star-shaped bolts on the sides which I assume those are for the airbag itself. I'm just affraid that it'll blow out when I tried to pull the thing off :P

dcii_sir
21-02-2004, 06:48 PM
u should disconnect the battery first .. and 2ndly u should take it somewhere to take it out.. seriously it might pop out if u not careful..

bumthology
21-02-2004, 07:06 PM
It is illegal to take out a steering wheel and replace with aftermarket
i think
ehhe

fusion_VTi
21-02-2004, 07:39 PM
i dunno why you would wanna i dont think ur insurance will cover you if you do (not sure on this one), it's there for saftety just get it leather bound or something, but in the end its up to you

Milk
21-02-2004, 08:08 PM
dit take it to the merchanics to do it is better ...u dont wanna suffocate yet :D

wynode
21-02-2004, 08:39 PM
Its a Supplementary Restraint System. So does that make it illegal to remove it?

I know I wouldn't :)

A'PEXi
22-02-2004, 09:51 AM
yeh it is.... some warning light will go on if you take it off :P

Geek
22-02-2004, 06:07 PM
yeah warning light doesnt come on if u disconnect the battery first cos the air bag system doesnt notice a circuit as been broken

What you do is disconnect the battery first
Unsrew them 2 screws underneath the steering wheel
the top of the airbag section flips up and u can then u will see a yellow or brown plug under there. Just disconnect this and you will have the airbag in ur hand and u can take the rest of it then. :roll:

euro77
23-02-2004, 07:12 AM
Yes, it is illegal to take out airbag from a car that comes equipped with airbag from the factory. well, at least it's illegal in VIC, not sure in other states.

So, if your car comes equipped with airbag from factory, don't bother changing the steering wheels if you don't want to get into trouble with authorities.

wil
23-02-2004, 11:37 AM
also insurance won't cover ya.....

poid
23-02-2004, 12:08 PM
there are some aftermarket airbag wheels available if you really want an aftermarket wheel. They can get expensive though :)

carbine
28-02-2004, 10:47 PM
Does anyone know how much a replacement ek steering wheel would cost?

Mine is worn very badly, from sun and from a one handed driver. I would get an aftermarket but i still want to retain the airbag for insurance and safety.

Or is it possible for them to be retrimmed?

tanghy
28-02-2004, 11:28 PM
get a wrap or get a type r wheel

eknine
29-02-2004, 09:39 AM
you need a torx bit to undo the stars like bolt....kindly pls used the right tools for the right jobs...else tampered marks will be seen ..u don't want that don't u? ;)

for the same replacement steering wheel, i'm sure ur local wreacker will have them, don't worry if they have an exploded airbag, u just need the steering wheel- just make sure they don't charge you for the cost of the exploded airbag<laffz>

Geek
29-02-2004, 04:51 PM
Does anyone know how much a replacement ek steering wheel would cost?

Mine is worn very badly, from sun and from a one handed driver. I would get an aftermarket but i still want to retain the airbag for insurance and safety.

Or is it possible for them to be retrimmed?

Yep for a replacement (brand new from honda) ek airbag steering wheel they cost approximately $2000