PDA

View Full Version : Gen5 VTIR (auto) questions

n/a
31-08-2005, 12:33 AM
hey guys, i'm looking at another prelude but this time it's a trip transmission.
clocked around 90 kms (thousand), i don't really know much about the issues with the auto-box. anyone help me out with the problems that could occur?

btw, it's up for $18.5k what you guys think?
it's a 98, white, cloth interior, stock, service history, logs.

thanks.

FANATK
31-08-2005, 08:15 AM
gearboxes go, known someone whos box went at about 105k, and another at around 85k
needs to be recon or replaced - few thou!

manuals the way 2 go

industrie
31-08-2005, 08:38 AM
generally the gearbox would have to be replaced with the earlier 97 models ..and thrashed ones...only heard of a few cases which is minimal..go to www.preludeaustralia.com for full info...but generally its a good buy..there top cars...as long as it has full service history and that should be good...prefer a 98+ model for reliability

DKS51R
31-08-2005, 12:13 PM
To me, a lude should be a manual.. u can call it a tiptronic.. but imo
manual baby

gearboxes go, known someone whos box went at about 105k, and another at around 85k
needs to be recon or replaced - few thou!

manuals the way 2 go

91'lude
31-08-2005, 04:44 PM
The auto boxes are weaker, but its not going to be a problem unless the car is thrashed.

Everyone will tell you go manual, and i agree. But if the car has been looked after, than i dont see the bad problem, but those auto boxes do blow if the car is frequently at fully throttle.

ECU-MAN
01-09-2005, 12:39 AM
if you catch the problem in time all you have to do is replace a $2 bearing, ( plus a lot of labour ) if you leave it, it gets worse, self destructs, then cost you shit loads as all the parts have had metal through them.

n/a
01-09-2005, 01:10 AM
interesting, i have to shop around for an auto, well not have to but it's leaning towards one. i test a MT and AT, MT seems much quicker, there is a power difference right?

wow, i never knew prelude boxes were that weak.. you guys recommend not buying an AT at all?

thanks for that guys,

preludacris
01-09-2005, 10:46 AM
99+ prelude auto's have no problem, in the 5th gens.

all the 4th gens auto's didnt have probs. The only ones that had probs were the 97 98 auto's, but honda fixed the problem by 99. I personally wouldnt by anything before 99 if it were auto... generally u need to replace the box every 120ks or something. to be safe.

just get a manual, 5th gen auto's are slow, i mean , a 3rd gen would rip a 5th gen vtir every time..

industrie
01-09-2005, 10:56 AM
i doubt a 3rd gen would rip a 5th gen auto VTIR...if you want to cruise get a tiptronic :wave:

preludacris
01-09-2005, 11:10 AM
oh yes it would

racing honda's 3rd gen was beating a 5th gen vtir every single time comfortably at calder. And the 5th gen had invested thousands in mods.

Just coz u hear the vtec sound, doesnt mean its fast man...

n/a
01-09-2005, 11:35 AM
i mean , a 3rd gen would rip a 5th gen vtir every time..
that's deceiving, from what i'm reading you're comparing the stock forms. :thumbdwn:

manual would definetly be a priority but i have to share the car.. so can not..

industrie
01-09-2005, 12:07 PM
your talking about a modded 3rd gen...and modded 5th gen...i dont see any information about that on prelude australia...the guy who made this post is asking stock cars...his not going to mod it and its to fit his personal preference

preludacris
02-09-2005, 01:21 AM
omg
stock or modded, 3rd gen would beat a 5th gen auto vtir. man its common knowledge...

just come to preludeaustralia pplz..

oh and for ur info .
the drags i was talkn about
3rd gen had intake and header
5th gen had intake header exhaust AND tuned with vafc....

will u believe me already ??

azjs
02-09-2005, 05:41 PM
oh yes it would

racing honda's 3rd gen was beating a 5th gen vtir every single time comfortably at calder. And the 5th gen had invested thousands in mods.

Just coz u hear the vtec sound, doesnt mean its fast man...

It's true and has merit, it is possible to spend 'thousands' on mods and have a mediocre output, happens all the time.

I wish I could base all my judgement on a stunning 3G example like Richie's, but I'm sure for this one example, there are more that show the 5G winning also.

-az

racinghonda
02-09-2005, 10:12 PM
Well, ok a 3g manual would be quiker on the 1/4 mile than any auto prelude. But. We don't buy cars based solely on their straightline performance. Based on comfort and general feel alone I would pick a 5th gen over my 3rd gen, it is definetely more refined. But I am an enthusiast driver so an automatic doesn't even enter the equation.

TVN
15-05-2006, 11:20 PM
wat kind of noises do u hear before the gear box blow up ?

kiss
16-05-2006, 12:00 AM
well i dont want to make auto vtirs sound bad, but a manual cxi hatch actually kept up with me for a while but i pulled away slowly after, and i was flooring it too.. my lude is japspec .. kinda disappointed that a civic kept up with me -_-

also the road was elevating up, and everyone knows the lude is one heavy mofo, so that could've been a factor why the civic kept up..

anyhoots ludes are nice cruisers, driven like a dream.

TVN
16-05-2006, 12:02 AM
yeah that prettie bad when ur smoke by a Civic. espcially when ur car a vtir.
civic are heaps light ! compared with the 1300 kilo of the lude.

Tarks
16-05-2006, 03:56 PM
omg
stock or modded, 3rd gen would beat a 5th gen auto vtir. man its common knowledge...

just come to preludeaustralia pplz..

oh and for ur info .
the drags i was talkn about
3rd gen had intake and header
5th gen had intake header exhaust AND tuned with vafc....

will u believe me already ??

im on preludeaustralia...

im finding this a little hard to believe...ur making it sound as if an auto 5th gen is a hopelessly slow car or something..

I have an auto 5th gen, stock, and ive taken on a few of my fellow prelude australia 5th gen manual drivers, and they are all impressed with the speed the auto has.. in all cases, my stock auto has pretty much kept up with slightly modded or stock manuals, not much in any of the lil darts we've had.

Yes its true the 97 and 98 models have been said to have problems, but thats if you thrash the shit outa the box...thats bound to happen in most cars auto boxes.

CUL8R
16-05-2006, 04:12 PM
the SS auto box is crap if ur gonna give it hell...but the manual is unbreakable.tarks preludacris aint no newbie in known the ludes pace, and i am siding with him.
i would think a stock or modded manual 3rd gen would put it down to a auto 5th gen. u say little darts, im sure thats probly not beyond 100kmph... when u run on the strip gear ratios and power delivery become very important, and the auto box of the 5th gen aint nething special.

now to the original post.
like i said the auto box is pretty average, unless u plan to drive her very grandma like itll hold up for ever, ut the fact of the matter is ur buying a performance car and once u experiance vtec ull wanna live life in vtec! the h22a was made to withstand hell and hell itll get!
one thing that stands out in ur post is 90k kms...remember uve got the major service to be done at 100k, this will run you about 1000-1200 depending on how well ur cars been looked after. but i would say a nice round 1000 should do the trick. i would reccomend finding one with 80k kms or one just over 100k kms with the major service completed.
in the states(they drive their cars pretty hard and mod pretty hard too) ive heard an average life of like 60k miles i think for the early auto boxes

CUL8R
16-05-2006, 04:13 PM
tho i havnt heard of many 5th gen auto owners which needed an auto rebuild...except one which decided to go turbo with the stock auto tranny, argh will he ever learn? lol

Tarks
16-05-2006, 04:23 PM
tarks preludacris aint no newbie in known the ludes pace, and i am siding with him.
i would think a stock or modded manual 3rd gen would put it down to a auto 5th gen. u say little darts, im sure thats probly not beyond 100kmph... when u run on the strip gear ratios and power delivery become very important, and the auto box of the 5th gen aint nething special.

No disrespect to either of you, but ill still stand by my word and say the auto 5th gen aint a slow car.
Ive only had mine for about 5 months now, and ive had a great time driving it around.

And FYI, yes those darts did reach 100kmph and more :)

All that said, you chose weather you want auto or manual for the right reasons, not whether u want a fast car or not. Ludes wern't made based on performance, they're more of a classy cruiser, but with a touch of a good engine and enough power/speed to make it a quick and comfortable car to drive.

bigteethygrin
16-05-2006, 04:40 PM
if you really wanna improve the auto box you could get a level 10 kit.. pricey but not too bad..

otherwise i wonder if anyone could make an auto dog box for the 5th gen??

TVN
16-05-2006, 08:01 PM
from ppl experience. around how many km would the gearbox break down ?
saw a car in the paper with 135km on it.

Tarks
16-05-2006, 08:02 PM
depends on the way previous owners drive the car and if they look after it or not..

TVN
16-05-2006, 08:04 PM
it has full log books and everything. form readin other post. ppl boxes break down around 80km.

CUL8R
16-05-2006, 11:40 PM
No disrespect to either of you, but ill still stand by my word and say the auto 5th gen aint a slow car.
Ive only had mine for about 5 months now, and ive had a great time driving it around.

All that said, you chose weather you want auto or manual for the right reasons, not whether u want a fast car or not. Ludes wern't made based on performance, they're more of a classy cruiser, but with a touch of a good engine and enough power/speed to make it a quick and comfortable car to drive.
i never siad they were a slow car.just in auto form they lose alot of performance. ive had my 5th gen for about 15 months and run alot of auto ones in my time and theres no comparison in straight line performance, power is less, shift is slower, drops into a huge hole of no torque because of the slow shift u cannot stay in vtec between 1st and 2nd.

skinnyboy
17-05-2006, 12:55 AM
tho i havnt heard of many 5th gen auto owners which needed an auto rebuild...except one which decided to go turbo with the stock auto tranny, argh will he ever learn? lol

hahaha yeah good old Fasn8r, havent seen him in ages Marty, whats the status of his build? last time i saw him the car had no exhaust on it lol!

CUL8R
17-05-2006, 09:47 AM
yeah he chopped it off the axle? lol
i dunno hes gone MIA lol

Tarks
17-05-2006, 11:36 PM
u cannot stay in vtec between 1st and 2nd.

mine does... :)

ROLLED
18-05-2006, 12:04 AM
why dont you go to harvey norman and look through their white goods section? a white car and fridges equate to the same thing! WHY ARE YOU BUYING A FRIDGE???

CUL8R
18-05-2006, 12:10 AM
oooo wow....thats fair hard. u find an 18yo with an s2k, ull find not many more with this fridge u speak of then u get all the others.
what were u driving at 18?

ROLLED
18-05-2006, 12:17 AM
well im 19, so take a guess. haha nah it wasn't the s2k i had a crap car *runs and cries*

CUL8R
18-05-2006, 12:30 AM
lol...i seriously cant think of a better car for under 20k. its been said to be one of the best handling cars for under 20, and i cant think of many NA 4cyl to beat me(im not stock) but yeah, its big and heavy, but handles frieken awesome lol.
r u 19 and own an s2k? please say no or i will have to hurt u! lol

bored
18-05-2006, 01:24 AM
get manual

ROLLED
18-05-2006, 08:23 AM
honestly, yes, but please don't hurt my car if you see it, if it makes you feel any better im turning 20 at the end of december!

i've only had the s2k for about 2 months but loving every moment...

for 20k you can get a dc2r which I wouldn't have minded at all! sure they mostly have 100+kms but its honda so it won't matter. Probably the best FWD car i've ever driven and possibly the best i will drive for a long time! (in stock form that is)

The prelude, i find to be a bit of an oxymoron, its a supposed luxury car yet only a few models have leather, only the vti-r has climate control (not 100% sure on that) and so on and so forth.

anyhow, 20k lots of options, recently on ozhonda a member bought a s2k for under 30k, 115k kms...i'd say that wasn't too bad!

CUL8R
18-05-2006, 09:51 AM
youre an oxymoron!!! lol jk
yeah its more of a luxury cruiser than anything else, but they still can go quick.
well im 20 :( lol, if u ever see a silver 5th gen with a loud twin exhaust and soon to be rolling on the ground and the number plate GEN5 around melb give me a toot and a wave! lol

ROLLED
18-05-2006, 12:29 PM
rolling on the ground nice haha yeah no worries! come to the meet up at glenny tonight then!

CUL8R
18-05-2006, 12:38 PM
i would but i gotta work till 1030 tonight. ill have a read now

asdetail
02-10-2007, 08:01 PM
I have owned 2nd 3rd and 5th gen vtir preludes.
5th gen vtir is a bit quicker than stock 3rd gen:

Hans Bond
03-10-2007, 01:59 PM
It's true.. even the 97-98 auto is quicker than 99-01 auto. It is because of difference in TCM, the TCM makes the 99-01 auto slower in order to prevent the tranny from failing :)

im on preludeaustralia...

im finding this a little hard to believe...ur making it sound as if an auto 5th gen is a hopelessly slow car or something..

I have an auto 5th gen, stock, and ive taken on a few of my fellow prelude australia 5th gen manual drivers, and they are all impressed with the speed the auto has.. in all cases, my stock auto has pretty much kept up with slightly modded or stock manuals, not much in any of the lil darts we've had.

Yes its true the 97 and 98 models have been said to have problems, but thats if you thrash the shit outa the box...thats bound to happen in most cars auto boxes.

lilhaulerz
20-11-2007, 07:22 PM
can you fit a 97-98 TCM to a 99-01 model ?

asdetail
29-05-2008, 09:23 PM

SPOT ON BRO, WHO GIVES A DAMN WHICH ONE IS QUICKER