PDA

View Full Version : Engine mounts

wynode
01-09-2005, 11:42 PM
How do you know when your engine mounts are worn/broken ? I'm talking in particular the rear (tortion) mount.

ginganggooly
02-09-2005, 08:33 AM
I noticed mine was cactus when the car would buck when coasting in 1st gear, and buck violently when going on and off the throttle. I couldn't actually see it was broken though, not until a mechanic took it out and showed me- the centre of the mount fell away when he removed it.

wynode
02-09-2005, 04:44 PM
by 'buck' do you mean where the car/engine jerks forward and backwards?

VT3C
02-09-2005, 05:19 PM
yeah as above.. plus you can see your shifter move like 1-2" when you back off the throttle.. pop the hood and give her a rev and watch to see how much it moves.. if it moves a lot.. dead mount. mine was so bad with no trans mount that the valve cover was actually slapping the underside of the hood.

is a total BITCH to swap out that mount !! but well worth it.

Weq
02-09-2005, 06:27 PM
if its gone, u will see the webbing (black rubber) wont be attached to the outside anymore. the engine will also sway forwards and backwards under loads. 9foot on brake, ease of clutch, watch movement. also the gearstick will move around alot on accell/deacell. i think ive got a rear mount if u need it ;)

wynode
02-09-2005, 07:11 PM
I was actually asking the Q in regards to a mates car........but the symptoms that people have explained will help explain another small problem I have with my car which i've ignored. Thanks guys!

Weq, speak to you on MSN!

Steer^Gimic
03-09-2005, 08:02 AM
the mounts are also filled with with an oil. check to see for cracks or leaks

bennjamin
03-09-2005, 08:26 AM
the mounts are also filled with with an oil. check to see for cracks or leaks

expand ? i was under the impression most honda mounts are solid rubber ?

ginganggooly
03-09-2005, 08:29 AM
expand ? i was under the impression most honda mounts are solid rubber ?

i think the only fluid filled mounts are those massive metal ones with rubber covers around them (very technical explanation). i hear they are expensive to replace.

bennjamin
03-09-2005, 08:31 AM
i think the only fluid filled mounts are those massive metal ones with rubber covers around them (very technical explanation). i hear they are expensive to replace.

what cars are these on ?! im thinking later hondas perhaps ? (00+) ?

Weq
03-09-2005, 11:15 AM
na our eG's have em. the top engine mount is liquid filled. i know this because i have a replacement (prothane) and i hear from ppl u get a nice surprize when u try to gut the existing mount :)

wynode
04-09-2005, 11:14 PM
which 'top' mount is this?

I'm assuming the actual 'engine mount' near the timing belt?

SiR JDM
04-09-2005, 11:19 PM
if its gone, u will see the webbing (black rubber) wont be attached to the outside anymore.

like my old one..

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~akaisen/personal/engmount.jpg

VT3C
05-09-2005, 06:13 PM
like my old one..

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~akaisen/personal/engmount.jpg

hahah hey that's same as mine !! aww.. you'd think theyd make them a bit beefier hey.. but I guess they only stabilizer mounts not weight-retaining.

Weq
05-09-2005, 08:29 PM
almost the same condition as my lower mount.. im sure ive got a spare around... i should replace it.

wyn: yep, top mont.

Zdster
05-09-2005, 08:43 PM
What is the cause of these mounts starting to go? Is it mostly due to a period of time or hard driving or something else?

wynode
05-09-2005, 10:15 PM
What is the cause of these mounts starting to go? Is it mostly due to a period of time or hard driving or something else?
Bit of both. It's just wear and tear. The most common to go on our FWD is the rear mount though.

Samo
05-09-2005, 10:24 PM
yeah normally the rear one goes 1st.
my big bro changed his rear mount for his dc2r at hanny's for $180 with an OEM mount.

the mount itself was like $120 or sumfing like dat .. so its not dat expensive :)

spardikis
06-09-2005, 07:37 AM
I thought id seized a Gearbox bearing or had my clutch fall to peices or something when last week my rear engine mount Fell out!! I didnt notice for awhile cause i was looking from the side with the weilded nut and not the bolt side, worked it out but just pushing back on the engine - it has way way to much play in it and was barely drivable! - spardikis

quangsta
22-09-2005, 11:49 PM
if i was to change my front left and right engine mounts (dc2) to aftermarkets ones would this make much of a difference to decreasing vibration in the engine bay and would this increase vibration on the dash.??...also would this make the other stock engine mounts (rear, tranny and side) more prone to breaking or failing in any way???....