PDA

View Full Version : g-tech meters

h22a accord
02-09-2005, 07:55 AM
How accurate are they? Do you have to calibrate them for every car ie weight etc? Or are they a plug and play device that u can readily swap from car to car with out adjustments.

thanks you.

weezer
02-09-2005, 08:36 AM
they can be fairly accurate only if you're on a totally flat and level surface. I tried using it at calder and got roughly the same times as the official timing. You only have to calibrate the level, unless you trying to calculate HP, then you have to input weight ect

poid
02-09-2005, 09:51 AM
they are pretty accurate to drag strip times on level surfaces, and more importantly if you always run on the same strip then the times are consistent and comparable

You just stick it to the windscreen, level it off and away you go

h22a accord
02-09-2005, 10:32 AM
ahh ok. Thanks guys.

GSI-PSI
02-09-2005, 05:34 PM
i found that the qtr mile time was very accurate but the mileage was too much

pgclee
02-09-2005, 08:29 PM
not accurate..i get mid 12sec outta me car on flat surface, and setup nicely..and low mid 13sec outta drag strip..

ACTI0NMAN-1
02-09-2005, 10:34 PM
But are they value for money?

pgclee
03-09-2005, 04:01 AM
if you wanna make yourself happy...yeap..just always have it in your mind that is always 0.5sec diff...

00' coupe
03-09-2005, 04:07 AM
how much and where can u get these gtech meter things from???

aimre
03-09-2005, 12:45 PM
the old ones are .5 sec accurate (ther like $50 from ebay and thats all they do)
all they do is HP and 1.4 mile

http://www.turbocare.com.au/TAcc/images/gtech%5B1%5D.jpg

the new ones are 0.01 accurate,
RPM and shiftlights
RPMs and Shiftlights we are particularly proud of. We have invented this technology. No one in the world can pick-up RPMs from the cigarette lighter. Yes, MSD ignitions and even diesels work!

Handling Gs
G-TECH/Pro SS model has a unique new G-arrow that shows you the direction of the Gs that you are pulling and new large G numbers that are easy to read at a glance.

Record up to 30 runs
With the new friendly icon-based user interface you can chose and review any of your runs in a matter of a couple of button clicks.

3 precision sensors
We are the only G-meter that has x, y and z precision accelerometers. This improves accuracy and consistency. It also allows you to orient the G-TECH/Pro any way you like.

0-60 & 0-100-0mph
0-60 mph is another standard measurement with the new 0-100-0mph becoming increasingly more popular with the magazines.

1/8th & 1/4 mile
Oldies but goodies. These two measurements are what has made G-TECH a household name with car enthusiasts all over the world.

Horsepower
G-TECH/Pro will give you accurate horesepower ratings for your car before and after modification. It's a great way to see if you are making the right improvements.

Torque
With the revolutionary new RPM pickup right from the cigarette lighter we are able to measure Torque and display a DYNO-plot graph. We are the only people in the world to do this at this time.

60 ft. time
60ft time is a new measurement which helps with determining if your car is "hookin'-up" or not.

Road Racing/Autocross
RR stands for Road Racer. It has all of the features of the SS model plus Road Racing/Autocross mode in which you can record and replay your Gs and RPMs for a given practice or race session.

PASS Software
PASS - Performance Analysis System Software. It can be used for replaying and comparing 1/4 mile runs or for replaying Road Race/Autocross sessions. It even replays engine sound based on recorded RPMs.

Permanent Mount
RR model comes with the Permanent Mount which allows you to permanently mount the G-TECH/Pro anywhere in your car. The unit itself can still be taken out of its cradle.

AC Adapter
RR model comes with the AC Adapter so you can power the unit while you are downloading the runs/sessions to your PC.

PC Download Cable
RR model comes with the PC Download Cable that is used to quickly hook-up to your PC and download all your runs and sessions.

2 hour data acquisition
RR model comes with 2 Megs of FLASH. This is enough to store over two hours of Road Racing/Autocross sessions (10 Hz recording.) That's more than full-blown data-acquisition systems costing thousands!

Multiple vehicle support
With the RR model you can memorize settings for up to 4 cars and jump from one to another in a matter of seconds. Some guys get the extra brackets for each car so moving the G-TECH from one car to another is really a snap.

http://www.modyourcar.com.au/images/products/gtech/gtech_rr.jpg

get that one

h22a accord
03-09-2005, 02:08 PM
when you say its .5 sec accurate? does that mean your car is slower or faster that the time it says?

aimre
03-09-2005, 03:32 PM
u dont know
if ur car really does a 14.4 it will say ANYWHERE from 13.9 - 14.9

SKREMN
04-09-2005, 08:26 PM
Its a cool tool to pay with works fine in my friends car
they are all rear wheel drive
coz i get wheel crab and the front sometimes hops it plays with the g's in the g tech and i get alot of false readings and failed starts
Most accurae and consitant time i got is 15.1 thats pretty much standard LS? it seems too fast for me?
the HP/kw is never correct
115 KW ATW?
its only got 96 at the engine?

Chi
04-09-2005, 08:30 PM
rofl @ KW ATW

h22a accord
04-09-2005, 10:31 PM
it said my car did a 15.2 @ 95.7mph

aimre
05-09-2005, 12:33 AM
the new ones are very accurate. remember , the little black units are 13 years old now.
i researched a fair bit as i was thinking of getting one

STOCK
05-09-2005, 04:45 PM
I had the old one and it was amusing, slow cars even ran quite suprising times. But then again we never did back to back runs at the creek or anything.

joyride
06-09-2005, 01:54 PM
you'd rather pay to go to the drag strip for official time slips.

vtecchie
07-09-2005, 02:08 PM
I got one off ebay a little while ago.

I've never been to track to compare times, but it is fun to play with.

What you have to realise is this: G-Tech is always 100% dead on accurate. But this is not always what you want.

It measures ACTUAL acceleration (probably by having a little pendulum or something inside) and then integrates with respect to time to get speed, and again to get position. It therefore knows your speed and position (how far you have moved) at any time.

However,

If you can imagine that there is a pendulum hanging inside (as thats how i imagine it to work), when you accelerate fowards the bob of the pendulum will come back toward you.

If the direction of your cars acceleration is not directly parallel to the unit, (as the pendulum only swings in 1 dimension front-back) then you are not getting the correct value and all measurements will be screwed.

If you start on a slope (ie the gtech is inclined), then the pendulum will not hang vertically down (with respect to the unit). If you are on a downward slope, the pendulum will slant forward under gravity and will read negative g's and vice versa if upward slope. So you wont get the reading you want.

So you see, its not Gtech that is making any error, you just have to use it properly - from complete rest on a flat track and aligned perfectly with your direction of acceleration. If you use it right then the +/- 0.5sec error is bullshit. That is your error. GTech error is +/- 0.01sec.

So is it worth it?
Hell Yeah!!!:thumbsup: :D

exquisit
16-09-2005, 11:11 PM
its quite accurate if setup right

Bob san
23-09-2006, 04:29 AM
There are 3 different models now, the base one, the SS and the RR.

the base one is the cheapest but oldest. the SS is kinda in the middle range but is around 400 bucks on ebay.

do u guys reckon that i should get the old black one or the SS? i would probably just use if for 0-100 times and 1/4 mile and accelaration.

the old black ones ain't avaliable on ebay anymore and chepeast i seen with shipping is $ 263:( or is it worth the extra 200 bucks for the SS?