PDA

View Full Version : New Headunit Ideas Needed

Redteg
23-02-2004, 12:08 PM
Okay, so after posting in this delightful thread: http://www.ozhonda.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3327

I got owned and blew my deck :evil:

Lots of smoke and flames and stuff. Anyway, I'd like to upgrade slightly so I'm looking for something nice, lets say 700 bucks max.

I have a Sony option I may replace it with, but before i go window shopping this arvo, I was wondering what everyone else suggested. Throw all your suggestions at me and I'll consider them.

I don't want MP3, flip down with a big screen would be nice, a pause button, sub control, and thats it really. I'd go all out but I can't justify it yet. I do like nice sound but I don't go around booming. My front splits would be run off the deck. I listen to all types of music and I have brown eyes and brown hair if that makes any difference.

I may go for Alpine or Pioneer but I think I'll get the shits with how much the faces stick out of the dash. I would prefer something with a flush fit.

Also, who sells Blaupunkt? They look pretty.

toE
23-02-2004, 04:48 PM
since you've got brown eyes and brown hair, selection will be limited mate...sorry to say... :p:

nah...I would suggest the Clarion DXZ835MP. It has the options/features you mentioned AND mp3 altho you dont want it, but it's there. check out the website for all the info.. www.clarion.com.au (i think).

hope dat helps.

McChook
23-02-2004, 05:08 PM
Nakamichi CD-4-- series. Find one used, they own. Only thing better is a CD-700 series Nackamichi head

If you want ooks, then try the rockford fosgates. http://rockfordfosgate.com . their head's are kool, and sound good too..

madgrk
23-02-2004, 06:52 PM
Lots of options, but I know in Melbourne Blaupunkt is sold by Repco. I'm sure it would be the same Australia wide. If you want a flush fit, Panasonic have a new line up that are fully flush, no protruding at all nearly. Theyre a great unit too.

Whatever you buy make sure its preout are at least 3 volts, as this will give you a better signal to your amp(s). As Jimmy said, the Clarions are a good unit and that also applies for the Nakamichi and also McIntosh. Expensive units, but great quality. They also look crap so you dont have to worry about it getting stolen :D

toE
23-02-2004, 07:22 PM
McIntosh!!!! waaaayyyy above his budget mate :)

Redteg
23-02-2004, 09:14 PM
Thanks for all your suggestions guys!

I have had experience with McIntosh amplifiers and must say they're awesome. My one use of a Nakamichi deck left me a fan for life. I also love their plain look. Eclipse I have not yet auditioned but I am sure are very very good. I also hear good things about Rockford.
A mate has a Clarion which made a world of difference in his car, moving up from a mid-level Pioneer. Another mate is about to fork over a couple of grand for a Pioneer deck. Each deck is good if it does what it is supposed to do.

My scrounging today allowed me to come up with a few decks which interested me and had all I need. I can't recall model numbers, but Alpine, Clarion, Sony, and JVC all had features I was impressed with.

I think I would like to stick with the Sony, but maybe it is time to move on.

I discovered that I need the deck to both integrate into the dash and do its job well. Too many buttons annoy me. Little displays annoy me too.

Flashing lights and cool displays amuse me, yet can border on silly sometimes.

I think I have made my decision, yet I would still like ideas guys, try to make me go against Sony!

Where's LUDO? He'll set me straight

Rowie
23-02-2004, 10:52 PM
Vti-2 would normaly have a good suggestion on Audio stuff.... wheres he?

toE
23-02-2004, 11:49 PM
Out of the four brands you mentioned, it's difficult to give you a definitive answer, as different models from each brand will be hard to compare. (making any sense?!?!?) :)

If you can get the specific models dat u had a look at, I'm pretty sure there'll be more advise to come along.

euro77
24-02-2004, 07:00 AM
yes, post the model number and the picture and the price :)

poid
24-02-2004, 07:25 AM
Honestly, for $700 pick whichever deck you like the look of and has the features you want. You wont go wrong with any of the brands mentioned here. In your case the features you want are quite simple, so i suggest going to a place like Crutchfield.com (http://www.crutchfield.com/S-m0yqumoNWoW/cgi-bin/ProdGroup.asp?c=3&g=300&s=0&cc=01&avf=N&search=) where they have a heap of decks and seeing if anything takes your fancy (its a US site, and sometimes a deck that is black there will be silver here etc, but it'll give you a better idea then us randomly naming decks :) )

Redteg
24-02-2004, 08:51 AM
Hokay, well, off the net, I like these decks:

Alpine CDA9807
Clarion DX2725
Sony CDX M850
and scrap the JVC, I don't like its looks

I'll find pics of them in a sec and update

BlakTegra
24-02-2004, 09:13 AM
What splits you got there Redteg?

If you really like Alpine, you can get the top of the range Alpine 9815 for alittle over $700, which I have right now and its awesome and well worth it. Luv the 'Time Alignment' feature and display screen...

The Clarion DX2725 is prob a little old now so you probably wanna look into the newer range like the Clarion DXZ835MP or DXZ735MP. I think they sound pretty good due their 24-bit DACs. I personally dun like the look of the Clarions :( But I hear they sound much better than the Sony CDX M850 and Alpine 9815. But it kinda depends on your splits.

SONY, niceeee sexy lookin head unit there dude! I like it! You should see it when the black panel opens up! Suprise, another silver control pane behind it! Plus its got all the features and function you need ;)

Redteg
24-02-2004, 09:59 AM
Yee, I can get the Sony deck for aroudn half rrp, so thats why I'm leaning towards it, I've had a play around with it and I likes.

The Clarion decks are nice, I just went and played with the one which has the selectable colour screen and the model below it. Both look brushed aluminium. I like them, they are loaded with features.

I also saw a Pioneer deck with the graphic screen for around 750, well, lets say 600. Used to be around 900.

Hmm, I'm still liking the Alpines too, soo many features for me to play around with while I wait for the missus to get out of work, hehe.

My splits are ok, not as good as they could be though. Currently they are Clarions with a set of Pioneer crossovers. They're just leftovers from my install days but sound pretty good for what they are.

euro77
24-02-2004, 04:52 PM
I like the Sony active black panel, it would be good for night time parkings :D
But for quality, I will go for either Alpine or Clarion. I prefer the Alpine look over Clarion though.

Redteg
24-02-2004, 07:28 PM
yee I agree with you euro, it Sonyt first for funkiness, alpine first for quality followed by clarion (using my standards of measurement)

vti-2
24-02-2004, 08:20 PM
Alpine. :thumbsup:

www.alpine.com.au

Nothing more to say on this topic. :)

Calvo
25-02-2004, 05:16 PM
Clarion DXZ835MP is nice :D

im lookin for one myself... but i think ill put it on hold for now.
has lots of nice features, and the colour screen is awesome (sumfin i think u will like coz it has red, shades or red, etc).
looks very good and sounds pretty good i think.

A'PEXi
25-02-2004, 05:58 PM
i prefer alpine myself.

bigbuddha
25-02-2004, 09:03 PM
I have an ALPINE 7998R FantomFace XL unit for sale for the right price

Check out the alpine webpage and u'll see how much arse it kicks

DarkCoupe
25-02-2004, 09:56 PM
hey bigbuddha I have been looking at getting one of those ... what are u askin for it? (pm if u like) :P

genk-jomblo
23-03-2006, 07:17 AM
I have new Alpine CDA 7998R for sale.
need urgent money.
$1000.

Thanks

Zdster
24-03-2006, 10:39 AM
I have new Alpine CDA 7998R for sale.
need urgent money.
$1000.

Thanks

You know this thread is almost two years old! :)

genk-jomblo
24-03-2006, 11:43 AM
You know this thread is almost two years old! :)
lolz. .. i just realised :P