PDA

View Full Version : Killer Cams VS Toda D

pgclee
02-09-2005, 08:45 PM
As i know, if i'm correct, Killer cams is ard 325 degree...and Toda D is also the same...but one with Vtec, and one non-Vtec...
that is all i know...but got other info i need to know rite?..can other's tell me?

TODA AU
03-09-2005, 08:07 AM
TODA Vtec killer camshaft & the Erick's Racing Spec D camshaft (by TODA) are actually not the same at all.
Where as the Vtec killer camshafts came about due to TODA's involvement in N+ racing where cam control is not allowed (N+ racing ragulation).
The Spec D is a maximum effort VTEC camshaft.
More details below:

Regarding Vtec killer camshafts:
Design
The overall design and construction of the camshaft has been very heavily revised from the standard configuration. Areas of stress, rigidity and weight all gaining significant benefit. Generally camshafts are manufactured from solid blanks. TODA Racing VTEC KILLER Camshafts are produced from hollow blanks. Being hollow not only reduces weight but also improves valve timing accuracy through a reduction in flexing as the overall rigidity of the camshaft is increased.
Unlike a Vtec camshaft, the Toda Racing Vtec killer camshafts have two cam lobes, which are of the same size. The Toda Racing Vtec killer camshaft is designed to bed in quickly and have a low wear rate.
Characteristics
There is no longer a secondary (Vtec) lobe on the camshaft, the mid rocker arm is therefore redundant. It is removed and replaced with a rocker arm spacer. (PN. 14632-B16-000) The two pins in the remaining rocker arms are also removed. The oil feed rocker arm is fitted with a rocker arm plug to prevent any loss of oil. (PN 14651-B16-000) The benefits in a racing application for omitting the Vtec is the reduction of the valve train (reciprocating) mass and friction. The reduction in reciprocating mass and friction results in better engine response and increased valve train reliability. Furthermore, another benefit of disabling the VTEC system is the removal of fluctuations in the oil pressure system, securing reliable oil feed to all the main moving components. The factory “Lost motion devices” should be removed.
For best effect, Toda Racing Vtec killer camshafts should be used in conjunction with Toda Racing adjustable camshaft pulleys and Toda Racing’s 4valve throttle body Sports Injection Kit.
TECHNICAL NOTES:
- STD valve springs must not be used. Up rated (TODA) valve spring are required.
- STD ECU cannot be used.

They are available in the following sizes:
Intake: 285deg @ 12.0mm / 295deg @ 12.0mm / 305 @ 12.0mm
Exhaust: 285deg @ 11.5mm / 295deg @ 11.5mm / 305deg @ 11.5mm

Also see here: http://www.toda-racing.co.jp/product/parts_e/cam/b16-4.html
For Vtec killer information.

Regarding Spec D camshafts:
"Erick's Racing" Spec D camshafts (By TODA)
These camshafts are made in Japan by Toda Racing specially for Erick's Racing (Spec 'D').
These camshafts have been engineered by "Erick's Racing"
Though they may be manufactured by Toda Racing Co,.Ltd. Japan.
They are exclusive to "Erick's Racing" & only available via Erick's Racing & their dealers.
Spec D camshafts for both B-16, and B-18 engines are available.
Due to high lift & long duration, these camshaft are not suitable for backyard installations where valve installed height cannot be checked or adjusted.
Valve spring choice & instalation is critical. Std pistons cannot be used.
Suitable for road race & all motor drag race applications.
Please see: http://www.ericksracing.com

Cam lobe basic specs are as follows:
Intake Primary: 11mm lift with 250deg duration
Intake Secondary: 11mm lift with 250deg duration
Intake High cam (VTEC): 12.9mm lift with 305deg duration.

Exhaust Primary: 11mm lift with 250deg duration.
Exhaust Secondary: 11mm lift with 250deg duration.
Exhaust High cam (VTEC): 11.9mm lift with 315deg duration.

TECHNICAL NOTES:
- STD valve springs must not be used.
(TODA or matching valve spring & retainers must be used.)
- STD ECU cannot be used.
- Piston to valve clearence is critical & must be checked.

Cheers

Adrian

blackdc2
05-09-2005, 09:22 AM
Would you get any value out of spec-d cams for circuit racing applications over spec-c?

pgclee
05-09-2005, 11:27 AM
I thought Spec D cams are mainly for Drags?
for circuit racing, i think Killer suit better...

TODA AU
05-09-2005, 09:58 PM
Would you get any value out of spec-d cams for circuit racing applications over spec-c?
In your case, possibly yes. (especially after your next planned route) ;)
Though, a B18C2 cylinder head would likley deliver better results.

euGeR
18-09-2005, 02:19 PM
In your case, possibly yes. (especially after your next planned route) ;)
Though, a B18C2 cylinder head would likley deliver better results.

hahah what's the next planned route? Jase, if you're selling, I'm buying ;)

Adrian, you still doing interest free? what's the cap for interest free?

I'm up to step #6 of the bang for bucks DC2 :) and if I cut my lap time by 1 second this october, I promised my self some engine goodies.

I was looking for something like the high budget to maximum effort similar or same as jase's set up :) I guess I should just go to toda for a chat. :thumbsup:

euGe.