PDA

View Full Version : Honda CRV general questions

dgg9879
02-09-2005, 11:31 PM
Hi,

I've got a few questions to ask about CRV. I thought it best to put them all together in one post.

DRIVING

I have never driven one of these but have heard they are easier to park because of their height. I currently drive 87 Pulsar. Would the CRV be equally as easy to park, easier or harder to park than the Pulsar?

How difficult is reversing? I've heard the greater height of SUVs can cause problems eg parents running over their kids because they didn't see them. Are there any mirrors/accessories to overcome problems caused by lack of low rear visibility?

How much slower do you have to take corners because of the higher centre of gravity?

Does it have means of preventing driver accidently leaving lights on?

How much hassle is the rear tyre hanging off the back. Does it reduce rear visibility much? (doesn't look like it would).

SERVICING

What is the better option. Taking it to a good trusted mechanic for servicing all the time, taking it to the Honda dealer all the time, or getting basic services such as oil change etc by ordinary mechanic and more advanced work by the Honda dealer?

The Pulsar dealer was pathetic and expensive. How good is the Honda dealer and how expensive are they? eg how much to service for one year with 15,000 km travelled.

How much better is the 2002 model than 97-01 model?

ACCESSORIES

Are the nudge bar, skid plate, side step. rear bumper and boot lip protector accessories worth getting?

I have no interest in off road driving and just want something safe, reliable and easy to drive and park.

I welcome all input from other members

Dave

nexace
03-09-2005, 12:16 PM
Hhehe..this is going to take a lot of responding but here goes:

The all round visibility makes the car easy to park. There's always the option of a rear windscreen mirror as well if don't feel too confident. The side and rear view mirrors are very helpful, especially the side ones because they are slightly bigger than standard ones. My missus can reverse park into small spaces so hope that helps!

With regards to SUV's and kids factor, I believe this is the case for all cars and not just SUV's. There's only so much that you can see at the back of the car. My advice is, check all mirrors and wait a few seconds while the car is in reverse. Also, beeping once before reversing is also a good idea, especially if you're in a school area. And as I mentioned above, a rear windscreen mirror is an available accesory.

I don't think the CRV was designed to corner at fast speeds but it's definitely not as good as normal cars. We have the 2001 model so it's only part time 4WD. Not sure about the new model. But the car still corners pretty well for a SUV.

There is a beep when we open the door and the headlights are on.

No problems regarding visibility with the rear type. In fact, it's quite useful when parking because you know where the back of the car is.

Apart from the first couple of services which we took to Honda, most of the servicing is done by our family mechanic. He's a very honest guy and always calls ahead before he replaces something which he thinks should be replaced. Honda dealers generally charge more and from memory, it cost us around $200 if not more. Our local mechanic charges around the $100 mark is which is a massive difference unless there's something major that needs servicing. And he does everything required in the service manual anyway.

I heard the 2002+ model is a bit better. Power wise and it's fulltime 4WD? Not too sure.

The only accesories we got were the door visors, boot cover and mats which were part of the deal. There wasn't anything else at the time that we thought was necessary. But looking back, I should have got the side steps. It makes the car look more "aggresive".

We haven't had any problems with ours and find it quite fuel economical for a car like that; around 10L per 100km. It's quite safe but would have been nice if there were more airbags in the back. Maybe this has been added in the current model? A good all round family car which is good value for money. Can't go wrong with Honda! :D

V205
03-09-2005, 06:16 PM
Honda just dropped about $2k across the board for all CRV models. Lucky you. :)

jamchen
03-09-2005, 07:46 PM
second generation CRVs are better than the first Gens. It looks more stylish and more reliable. but i agree with v205 get the newest one if you can afford. its simply because there's a bit improvement over the trans. from 4g auto to 5 g auto. there's also an upgrade of brakes, drive by wire system, redesigned headlights ( H4 for up to 04, H1 for 05s), and more responsive on-demand 4WD system.

Pogi
04-09-2005, 01:17 AM
ok...i own a 2005 honda crv sport..unfortunately everything is stock..no added accessories or leather options besides the usual floor mats and darkest tint

DRIVING

i find the CRV to be easier to park than most sedans because of the viewing area that you can see from the elevated position...but i find the jazz much easier to park because of its small stature

reversing is pretty simple...no qualms here..i can see clearly at the rear of my car...by using both side and rear view mirrors...but it can never be perfect..i believe there is a rear windshield mirror that you can use to help you see whats behind you..and those additional blind spot mirrors

i find that i dont have to take corners too slow...because the 4WD kicks in and it keeps the traction..however since you are at a higher centre of gravity...inertia will take place and you'll find yourself swaying...this cannot be helped though...unless you want to lower the car :D

the car beeps to warn you if you've left your headlights on

no hassle of the rear tyre..it doesnt obscure your vision too much...you only see a little bit of the wheel..very marginal...but i believe this depends on your height as well..

SERVICING

i've always had and will always have all our cars serviced by the dealership..i find that it is less stress for me...

the honda dealer is pretty good..ive had this car since january and the service costs are only a couple of hundred dollars...but im told that after a few years...it will cost more for obvious reasons

i have no exp with the 2002 model or the 97-01 model...only got exp with the 2005 model..reviews claim its the best one out...plus it looks the best as well :wave:

ACCESSORIES

its subjective..i dont like nudge bars because i find it makes the crv look less classy...skid plate and protectors are not needed..the side step may be useful but i didnt opt for it because it made the car look more boxy and made the wheels look smaller than it already is...

the only additional accessories i would recommend you to get is the gold badges...leather interior and possibly a wood mahogany interior finish..

its a great car...fun to drive..isn't as ballsy as a MDX but its good enough for its price range..best to buy one new though...if you can afford a MDX..please get one..i want one of those

dgg9879
04-09-2005, 08:18 AM
Thanks for all your advice. I should have specified that I'm not going to be buying new. I will be buying in one or two years time. Hopefully I can afford 2002 Sport CRV then, otherwise it would be 97-01 model. The MX is way too expensive and would be harder to park because of its greater size. I think it sucks that you have to get a Sport CRV to get the side airbag because thats the only reason I would get it.

I'm interested in the idea of lowering the car since this would potentially reduce the risk of rollover and make the car safer and I have no interest in going offroad with it. Does anyone know much about doing this? How much would it cost and would it affect the insurance? Perhaps it could even make the car less safe because it was originally designed to be a certain height. Would lowering the car defeat the benefits of easier parking and driving due to greater height?

Does anyone know how long Honda's 4 cyl engines last? The standard 200 000 ks or so or longer?

Alpine
04-09-2005, 11:41 AM
You should visit http://www.hondasuv.com with your queries. It's a site specifically for Honda CR-V's and alot of CR-V enthusiasts lurk there.

slidetaker
06-09-2005, 09:00 AM
Lowering a CRV will have little effect on minimizing the body roll….U get better result by getting enlarged front and rear sway bar…
The tyre and fender gap of a OEM CRV is around 4” and Eibach gives u a 1.5” drop which really does not reduce much roll. For custom made, u can get as low as u want but anything after 3” will give u a very harsh ride and the negative camber will kill ur tyres in no time…
With OEM tyre, u don’t have to worry about rollover because the all-rounder tyre will lose traction and slide first before it will rollover. U will need some serious rims and tyres upgrade without any suspension mod for it to roll…
Eibach and Koni will cost u around $2k while 4bars upgrade will be around $1k…
Hope this help….

dgg9879
06-09-2005, 10:52 PM
Lowering CRV doesn't seem like good idea and looking at them on the road they don't seem that high off the ground anyway.

It looks like Eibach and Koni make both suspension and lowering kits for cars.

So are you saying an enlarged front and rear sway bar would cost $1,000 and would reduce roll? Apart from the cost is there any disadvantage from doing that?

Sounds like you're saying a rollover is unlikely because OEM tyres don't grip well but that means handling and braking would be inferior. I would want to have reasonable quality tyres such as Michelin to get good grip and handling.

I'm just talking about reducing risk of rollover in accident/emergency situation. Not in normal driving.

bigdongers
07-09-2005, 01:29 AM
My 02 CRV has been a great car. Easy to drive, fairly easy to park (although reversing can be tricky at first)

I got heaps of accessories on mine but I would say the side steps are the most handy as they allow you go reach the roof for cleaning etc easier. the rear parking mirror may be handy too.

The OEM tires are not the best for road performance. I changed them to Pirelli STRs and they are much better. quieter and better handling.

You dont have to slow down too much when turning as grip is good. however, be careful of torque steer which happens with many heavier front drive vehicles.

slidetaker
07-09-2005, 09:42 AM
Sounds like you're saying a rollover is unlikely because OEM tyres don't grip well but that means handling and braking would be inferior. I would want to have reasonable quality tyres such as Michelin to get good grip and handling.

I'm just talking about reducing risk of rollover in accident/emergency situation. Not in normal driving.

yes….personally I would not even border with shocks and springs….Just too much cost with not much return. 4 bars upgrade will be the “bang for ur buck” to improve handling and reduce bodyroll… u will be looking at a front strut brace, rear strut brace, enlarged front and rear sway bars, which total around $1000

If I remember correctly, OEM CRV run like 16mm in front and 20mm in rear…..something like 20mm in front and 24mm in rear would stiffen it up quite a lot and u will definitely feel the difference in cornering, more responsive, less bodyroll. There is no disadvantage that I can think of other than the cost..

The OEM tyre on CRV is more than enough for daily driving…However, if u r talking about rollover which is pushing a SUV over its limit. I will tell u for sure the OEM tyre will fail u before the rollover… I believe other than “performance” cars out there, any vehicle u purchase will have OEM tyre based on economic and treadwear factors than performance. So once again, if u r talking about rollover, u will need to have some serious performance tyres to replace the all-rounder with. OEM tyres are BF Traction pre2000 model and Bridgestone Dueler post2000 model and they r no performance tyre…

At the end of the day, talk is talk… I think it would be a good idea to test drive one urself on one of those big roundabout to feel the bodyroll a bit…

Cheers,

Suntzu
23-03-2006, 10:33 AM
Just got my wife a 2002 CRV auto Sports. Its pretty decent.

Ive noticed a little bit of a grind under heavy brakes, anyone had this? Ill get it checked under warranty.

Also, I have noiced the front wheels lifting under cornnering and power. I thinkt he front sawy and rear sway bars will fix this and the body roll.

Where can I get the 2 sway bars for the CRV? Does anyone know?

Also the tyres I have current are really shit and have no grip wet or dry, can anyone suggets a decent road tyre?

cheers!

PS: Now Ive got two hondas, my 2005 Euro 6sp and the Honda CRV sweet!

slidetaker
24-03-2006, 10:47 AM
Just got my wife a ..................Euro 6sp and the Honda CRV sweet!

I think the rotor needs to be machined to fix the grinds under heavy brake..

Sway bars only fix the body roll....You will need stiffer springs to eliminate the lifting while accelerate and nose-dive while heavy braking....

Whiteline do sway bars and Kings or Eiback do springs...

In terms of tyres, just change from the all-arounder to some performance road tyre will do it...go to some tyre websites, like yokie, bridgestone, Kumho...to get more info on sizes and specs... :)

Suntzu
24-03-2006, 10:52 AM
Thanks for that. It mainly the body roll and understeer on the crappy tires that worries me. For now I think the 27mm whiteline solid bar and new tyres should improve it a lot.

I wonder if machining rotors is covered under my normal 3 month dealer warranty??

slidetaker
27-03-2006, 07:11 AM
The OEM tyres are crap if u compare them with road performance tyre on road....However, they are better than road performance tyre in sand and mud...so it depends on how you look at it...

LaurenPenn
08-04-2006, 12:34 PM
I drive a 2005 CRV Sport. 6-stacker CD, leather seats, bum warmer thingys in the two front seats, shame there not in the back aswell lol!

[x] Driving [x]

I jst got my Ps (a few days ago lol) ive drivin heaps of my friends cars, such as; statesman, corolla, mazda 3, hulux, F250, skyline and lancers. I find that driving my car is alot easier, i guess because the car is higher from the ground, i hate driving close to the ground, i feel like im going to get run over lol. No problems with reversing is pretty good. I can see pretty much everything.

I do slow down for corners, but not heaps, i also dont going flying around corners like a spastic. Also the car beeps if you forget something, your keys, seat beat, interrior lights, head lights etc etc. and yes that gets annoying at times lol.

[x] Servicing [x]

I dont know much about that, my boyfriend does everything for my car if ever something goes wrong, when his in the workshop it best if i just wait outside lol.

[x] Accessories [x]

Leather interrior was a must for me, its so good. looks pretty hot! The seat warmers, deff tumbs up for those.

[x] All Round [x]

Fantastic car, you wont ever regret buying one, looks great very stylish, easy to drive, you will never had any major problems, but like all cars look after it. :honda: ;)

FelixR31
31-12-2006, 01:06 PM
As far as the swaybar upgrades goes, is there factory swaybars from another model Honda that are thicker and will bolt straight in or is aftermarket the only way?

From what I've read, this is a good way to get bigger rims under a CR-V (we are taking purchase of a 2003 CR-V Sports (manual) in a couple of days) but it comes with 15" alloys so this will be a little while off yet.

Cheers, Greg.