PDA

View Full Version : StrutBrace Understeer?? (Civic)

91OOM
04-09-2005, 08:04 AM
I've heard from someone I know that if you put a rear strut brace in an ek civic hatch. It causes it to understeer.

Basically i got front and rear braces waiting for me, i'll just get the front one if the rear would cause bad understeer.

Could you guys confirm if thats true or not?

Cheers guys

bennjamin
04-09-2005, 08:23 AM
front will cause more understeer....rear will tie in with the rear rgidity more :)

I had a carbing front one ( large and thick) and it increased frontal response , BUT every corner went wider and wider :S

saxman
04-09-2005, 12:29 PM
I ran a rear bar on my sol for well, a day, and found it made it very difficult to keep traction in the rear. I also ran at the track(autox) several times experimenting with and without it, and consistently ran 1.5 seconds faster WITHOUT the bar

barefootbonzai
04-09-2005, 02:50 PM
So you're recommending not to use a rear struct bar on track????

saxman
04-09-2005, 05:40 PM
So you're recommending not to use a rear struct bar on track????
all I'm saying is that in my car, with how I had my suspension set up, etc, the rear strut bar was making me go slower and lose traction in the rear at a much earlier point. I don't know anyone else that's done a direct comparison, so that's what I did, and those were the results I got.
(waiting for someone to come in and say that I'm wrong)

I would spend the money on a rear sway bar WAY before spending any money on a strut bar as well

barefootbonzai
04-09-2005, 11:59 PM
good good, i'll give my setup a go with and without a rear struct and see how it goes. Sould be arriving sometime dis week, can't wait :D

dcdc
05-09-2005, 11:57 AM
i found with rear only = car is a bit skittish around corners
with both front and rear = noticeable improvement over stock

get both :)

[[d a n n y]]
05-09-2005, 02:28 PM
both will stiffen up your chassis front and back

front will improve stiffness in the front which will cause understeer
rear will imporve stiffness in the rear which will case oversteer

so having both will even out the car back to stock..

but u will have a much stiffer car than stock..

saxman
05-09-2005, 04:05 PM
i found with rear only = car is a bit skittish around corners
with both front and rear = noticeable improvement over stock

get both :)
I suppose I should have added that in my above mentioned test, I did have a front bar

wynode
05-09-2005, 04:28 PM
Hows about the fact that the effect of a rear strut brace depends on the car. That is, whether it is a hatch, sedan or coupe......nobody has mentioned that ?

saxman
05-09-2005, 04:44 PM
Hows about the fact that the effect of a rear strut brace depends on the car. That is, whether it is a hatch, sedan or coupe......nobody has mentioned that ?
well, that's part of why I specified my car and suggested people try it for themselves

Cyrus
09-09-2005, 09:18 PM
I needed the strut braces just to minimise twist on the track.....i reckon without them, my chassis is gone already. LOL

lerroy
10-09-2005, 07:12 PM
im gonna hijack
if i want to stiffen up my chassis (already have rear swaybar)
and under the hood there is already a front strut bar looks oem and no very thick does a teg come standard with front strut bar ?

so from the posts above i would get front strut and rear strut bar and thats as far as you would need to go ? firm it up

wynode
10-09-2005, 11:21 PM
teg comes stock with a front strut bar.

lerroy.....have a look at this thread:http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26132

spetz
11-09-2005, 04:06 AM
When a friend added both front and rear strut braces on his EG civic hatch it seemed to understeer way more. And I am not sure if corner speeds were higher and it understeered or not.

On my car (which isn't a Honda) a front strut brace also seemed to make it understeer more.
And under my bed I have a brand new front and brand new rear strut brace for my car... not sure if I should put them on or not???

lerroy
11-09-2005, 08:05 AM
thanks Wyn

Sitwy
18-09-2005, 09:55 PM
for my EG seden, I only got front strut braces, it understeering a lot in corner
so I am still confusing to get Rear strut brace, rear Tie bar, or sway bar...
which one will get the most balance out of it?

wynode
18-09-2005, 10:07 PM
for my EG seden, I only got front strut braces, it understeering a lot in corner
so I am still confusing to get Rear strut brace, rear Tie bar, or sway bar...
which one will get the most balance out of it?
Do a bit more reading and the obvious decision will be clear :)

Basically a rear swaybar is the best to reduce understeer.

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26105 AND
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26144