PDA

View Full Version : level to top up MTF

turtleEK1
04-09-2005, 12:30 PM
hey guys! i'm just changing my manual tranny fluid and according to the manual i got, you fill it up to the thread of the top bolt (the one next to the shaft?)... is this right? coz it looks like there would be an air gap above that bolt in the tranny? or is the top up bolt right at the top of the tranny housing? sorry if sounding confusing!

btw- d16y4 eng.

Samo
04-09-2005, 05:07 PM
its all the same .. the bottom bolt is for daining old fluid ..
and the bolt on the side abt half way up or so is for fill up ..
when new fluid run out of the filling hole it is full ..

hope dis helps

itr224
04-09-2005, 06:00 PM
http://www.c-speedracing.com/howto/transfluid/transfluid.php

bennjamin
04-09-2005, 06:01 PM
drain it from the bottom bolt - put the botto bolt back in and then take off the "top bolt".
Re fill , until MTF actually seeps back out of this hole. This is the correct level ( just at the lower part of the thread.
Re-tighten top bolt and u are done :)

ECU-MAN
04-09-2005, 10:23 PM
also make sure the car is level.

EG5[KRT]
05-09-2005, 12:11 AM
or u could take it to a qualified mechanic so u dont get ur hands dirty :p

BlitZ
05-09-2005, 08:48 AM
']or u could take it to a qualified mechanic so u dont get ur hands dirty :p

ahhahhaahah
dont u love your cars

yeah lilke everyone has mentioned.. car level.. drain with bottom bolt and fill up with top hole.... fill until its level ie.leaking out

its easier as changing oil

[[d a n n y]]
05-09-2005, 09:33 AM
u need a breaker bar (i think that's what it is called )

turtleEK1
05-09-2005, 09:48 AM
]']u need a breaker bar (i think that's what it is called )

if thats for the drain bolt... i just used a supercheap socketwrench for it...

thanks for ya help guys, i had a feeling it was up to there, just looks like it only fills half the tranny with oil!! coz last time i got it done by a mech. he filled up to the top i think by pouring it into where the rev sensor thingy goes? (its a sensor that goes in the top of the trans. with a little cog on it)!! but i guess it would be splash fed around the gears anyway being a thicker oil!!

and of course you gotta get ya hands dirty!!! when your an apprentice with no $$$... why not learn yaself? after a couple of DIY's, u've prolly saved enough money to buy a CAI or somethin...

wynode
05-09-2005, 04:13 PM
Filling it till it comes out of the VSS whole is too much. You can fill it VIA this whole, but only till the oil strats draining from the fill bolt.

http://www.ozhonda.com/gallery/data/2/3IMG_5170-med.jpg

turtleEK1
05-09-2005, 04:32 PM
just for confermation... the fill bolt is the big one near the fluid in the hose in ya pic, right? i've got about 300mL left over, would it matter if i just chucked that in? is there a disadvantage of over filling?

wynode
05-09-2005, 04:43 PM
Yeah thats the fill bolt. If the fill bolt it out while you are putting the oil in (as it should be), I don't see how you could Overfill ?

turtleEK1
05-09-2005, 05:03 PM
nah, just the mech. that did mine last time DID fill it up to the top... hence why DIY's now...!!

EG5[KRT]
05-09-2005, 05:35 PM
im an apprentice... wat u can do is ask the techs at work... like how u fill it up.prety much same thing with each front wheel drive car.except honda is other way around.

but yeah i work on cars all day last thing i wanan do is get my hands dirty.as long as there is some reinol handy im happy to do watever.but yeah i hate working on my own car and not have proper cleaning stuff to wash hands aftawards...

tegstar83
05-09-2005, 06:01 PM
so true u gotta get all the fkn gritt outta ur nals

turtleEK1
05-09-2005, 09:18 PM
i'm not an apprentice mech. tho... its the lack of money from low wages i'm talking about... and whats abit of grease? gives the skin a healthy glow!

anyhow, thanx guys!! been filled back up with OEM and running sweeter than ever!!