PDA

View Full Version : Belts changing time diy

lerroy
04-09-2005, 05:31 PM
Hey Guys

First off i would like to say i am in no way a mechanic i know very simple things i love to learn and so this is what i do :P

My Dad on the other hand was a Truck/Car mechanic for 25 years but has been out of it for the last 10 years but hes always willing to give us a hand

Im coming up to 190.000km so i am going to change the Timing belt.
But in looking today, i may as well change all the other belts altenator ( looks like its about to snap old and rotten) power stearing and air con.

now if i remove the rocker cover how do i get the belt around the engine mount do i have to remove this ??

anyone share any experiance ??

also when i replace the rocker cover do i need to replace the seal ?? is there a seal ?

you will prob say take it to honda but i really like doing things over the weekend with my dad kinda only time we bond and yeah as i said he know his way around, just not these new fandagle engines as he says ahahhah

thanks guys

ECU-MAN
04-09-2005, 10:36 PM
you have to remove the rocca, front engine mount and support engine with jack, remove alt, power steering and aircon belt, remove the aircon idler pulley, remove harmonic balancer, remove upper timing cover then the lower cover, set the engine to TDC, remove timming belt, fit new one, ensure the belt its 100% lined up and tentioned, rotate engine by hand 3 times and recheck belt tention and valve timiming. refit removed bits, if you need to replace rocca cover seal and spark plug seals, warm up engine till thermo fans run twice, short out the diagnostics two pin connector, set ignition timming.

Samo
04-09-2005, 10:44 PM
190,000km.. chances are ur rocker cover gaskets rock hard and not reuserable.. :(
my advise .. u mite as well do the waterpump while u have the timing belt off ..
save u doing all dat again..

JRC
06-09-2005, 10:19 AM
But if u do do this you really have to make sure that everything aligns perfectly otherwise you'll notice your engine will lose power......with my stock cam gears i used a blob of white out to make sure

Samo
07-09-2005, 11:17 PM
the cam gears should hav markings to line up with on the head .. and the gear behind crank pully has a keyway where u line it with a markin .. put the timing belt on with all the marks lined up .. release the tension pully and tighten so dat the t/b is on tight.. put the crank bolt in .. turn thr moter over (2) times and check if all the markins line up again .. if they dont repeat until they do .. or ur timing would be out .

krasyvy
07-12-2005, 03:03 PM
can i just bring up an old thread to confirm that my timing belt is on correctly

the marks on the cover are aligned with the single with notch on the crank pulley (not the 3 consecutive marks) and the cam pulley shows the up pointed in the right direction

anything else i need to check for?

ECU-MAN
07-12-2005, 10:30 PM
take a photo man.

one of the crank pully notches and another of cam shaft pully.

you belt must be tight but not over tight. with the spark plugs out turn the crank 4 compleate revolutions anti clockwise then make sure your marks line up, and the belt tention is still correct.

Paul1985
07-12-2005, 10:40 PM
your belt should have about 1cm flex in it...
hey lerroy, your like me and love to get dirty and do some DIY work with your car but lack the confidence and knowledge.

My advice to you is get out there and give it a shot dude! I did a similar thing with my timing belt when i had no clue what to do (along with the help of TAFE mechanics teachers).. If your dad was a mechanic then you should have no probs. IMO it was extremely easy, you just have to be sure to replace things PROPERLY. (Note: i didnt replace the belt, just loosened the tensioner and adjusted it) But similar process. Take ECU-MAN's advice, he is spot on with what he said just above.

I messed one thing up, i forgot to earth out my rocker cover after putting it back on, soon after one of my battery cells fried, i believe this is the reason it fried!

Have you read my thread on my timing belt prob? i feel bad because i whore it at any timing belt prob that pops up lol! i can find the link if you would like to check it out though? It may give you a little insight to what to expect and give you some confidence to get out there with your dad and do it.

good luck!

Paul1985
07-12-2005, 10:44 PM
Basically what im saying is get out there and do it, i enjoyed the experience of fixing up my problem, and in your instance, it will save you IMO at least $150 in labour.

It will be enjoyable if your anything like me, go out and have a drink with your dad and fix it up together, do you have a workshop manual? If so, that will make it a breeze for your dad..

lerroy
08-12-2005, 05:58 AM
yeah this was a while ago

i did all the belts and rocker cover seals and spark plugs seal myself all ok

only one i couldnt do was the timning belt i couldnt get the pulley undone at the bottom it was so dam tight i needed a impact wrench :( i had very large bars etc..but just couldnt get enough leverage

saying this the car is now going to garage overhating issuse gonna get them to change the belt for me :) but yeah experiance is good

jimmeh
08-12-2005, 07:40 AM
check out www.c-speedracing.com in the how to section

krasyvy
08-12-2005, 07:41 AM
one of the crank pully notches and another of cam shaft pully.

not sure what u mean by this but i will take a photo and let you know...

basically the notch on the crank pulley (single white notch) lines up with the mark on the crank pulley cover...(to show TDC)..

the cam pulley is also pointing upwards (also showing TDC i believe)

but the only thing i'm worried about is the tension, i dont think it's tension properly...

the manual says the tensioner should be torqued to 33 foot pounds, but the tension doesn't feel right still..

wynode
08-12-2005, 10:12 AM
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30999

Have a read of that.....its pretty much the same for a VTEC motor.

krasyvy
08-12-2005, 11:28 PM
http://www.ozhonda.com/gallery/watermark.php?file=500/2692IMG_1886-med.jpg

the timing belt shouldn't be this loose should it?

krasyvy
08-12-2005, 11:29 PM
how do i tension it properly because i torqued the tensioner to 33 lb-ft (as per the manual) and it's still kinda loose...

ECU-MAN
09-12-2005, 12:17 AM
your belt is loose

.do you belt up so you get 1 to 1.5cm movement like in your pic, no more. dont over tighten it either
do the tentioner bolt up tight.

Paul1985
09-12-2005, 12:20 AM
sorry John, but in that pic. That belt isnt too loose is it?
it looks loose to me too.

im just wondering :)

krasyvy
09-12-2005, 07:29 AM
i'm using the d15z1 belt which i was advised would fit my d15b vtec fine, i hope its the right belt.

i'll try tighten it up some more then, hopefully does the trick.

ECU-MAN
09-12-2005, 09:58 PM
http://b16a2.kicks-ass.net/pics/timmingbelt.jpg

try to half that tention. but dont go further

krasyvy
10-12-2005, 09:36 AM
i keep turning that 12mm bolt on the tensioner but it doesn't tension it at all?

i tighten that bolt after the belt has been put on correct?

doesn't seem to be getting tighter at all...

ECU-MAN
10-12-2005, 10:17 AM
that bolt will not add tention to the belt, you have to push upwards on the arm ( green arrow ) then tighten the 14mm tentioner bolt.

ms_manda
12-12-2005, 12:40 AM
i didnt want to start a new thread and since my question is about belts, ill post it here
apparently, the belt for my aircon fell off ( i think thats what the mechanic guy said)
am i making sense, and can i fix it myself?
i need aircon. the past week has shown me that it is a MUST have :(

OZ#227
12-12-2005, 01:15 AM
Quick answer is Yes. Just basic tools & time.

But the things is ...... If the Air-con belt "fell off", How old was it? & how old are the other belts...Alt..etc. You might want to change all the V belts.

You can go without Air-con longer than you can without an alternator.

ms_manda
12-12-2005, 11:26 AM
hmm, thats a good point...
ill get a friend to check it all out for me
thanks for the advice :)

ECU-MAN
12-12-2005, 08:02 PM
the ac belt is a bit of a bitch to replace, it loops around the bottom engine mount, so you will have to undo it from the chassis to slide the belt off and on.

beats undoing the AC compressor and mount.

SlobberGoat
12-12-2005, 08:39 PM
check out www.c-speedracing.com (http://www.c-speedracing.com) in the how to section

Nice!
Thanks for the link jimmeh.