PDA

View Full Version : 00 Type R vs. 5th Gen VTI-R

Moya
04-09-2005, 09:45 PM
Kinda in a pickle at the moment I'm loving the 5th gen VTI-R... currently checking out all the black 5th gen VTI-R's with leather interior I can, however I'm stuck betweening chosing one of them, and a DC2R Type R.

My mates got a Type R which is kinda turning me off from getting one (only slightly though). Color for the DC2R doesn't worry me, but I do have a soft spot for the yellow.

So yeah, basically I'm stuck between the following two examples. 2000 DC2R Type R (http://carsales.com.au/pls/carsales/!cs_content.private_vehicle?vehicle_id=2449794&current_rec=9&used_rec=12&total_rec=26&sort_type=&total_rec=26&sort_type=&make_id=19&model_id=66&state_id=4&search_distance=25) or ~98 5th Gen Prelude VTI-R. (http://carsales.com.au/pls/carsales/!cs_content.private_vehicle?vehicle_id=2408376&current_rec=10&used_rec=81&total_rec=183&sort_type=&total_rec=183&sort_type=&make_id=19&model_id=150&state_id=-1&search_distance=25)

So I just wanna hear people opinions of them.

Just thought I would mention. If I went the Type R, it would say very stockish. Maybe new intake and exhaust. However, If I went new lude, it definately get it similar to the link above (new rims, lowered, new suspension)

Moya

babyboy
04-09-2005, 09:53 PM
it really depends on what you want. You dont want to buy a car and regret that you bought it and not the other.

you want more performance.. go type r

but the preludes are nice to cruise in.. nice and smooth but they still got a bit of go in them...

goodluck with ur choice:D

2NTICN
04-09-2005, 10:04 PM
yeh man definately, depends on what kind of driver you are?
Prelude is a nice cruizer with a bit of ballz
Dc2R is Engine and Seats.
personally id go with the Type R hands down, much nice look.
i rekon take them both for a test drive, see how they feel driving normally and see if u can give em a bit of a kick and see what u think, i rekon the type R will get your vote too

Integra
04-09-2005, 10:23 PM
I would choose the Type R over the Gen 5 VTIR anyday!

good luck!

Moya
04-09-2005, 10:28 PM
Well, I know I'm a Type R person. When I took a stock 5th Gen VTI-R for a drive, the handling wasn't that special, and the bodyroll sucks. Acceleration was 'ok' but nothing beyond that. (maybe I'm too used to the torque on my 4L Ford).

I definately like the 5th Gen from a cruiser perspective, nice rims, lowered and black tint on black metallic paints definately looks the good.

Anyone know the weight difference between the 5th Gen VTI-R and 00 DC2R? I think the main thing turning me off from a Type R is one of my ex-friends has one, which is a kick in the ass cos I do love the car.

Saying that though. Hows a modded VTI-R 5th gen go against a stockish Type R? Probably go as far as doing the suspension properly, lowered, CAI, extractors+exhaust and maybe ECU if it's worth it.

Speeder
04-09-2005, 10:32 PM
Aus DC2 Type r weigh a bit over 1.1 tonnes, no idea about the prelude sorry.

ps I would go for the type r but depends on what you want.

2NTICN
04-09-2005, 10:39 PM
who cares if ur exfriend has one, just make ures better. Buy the car because you love the car, after all your the one that is going to be driving it everyday, surely ur not gona be thinking about ur frend everytime u drive ur car. Type R all the way

Felix
04-09-2005, 11:20 PM
If you want power and performance, then go the Type R. If u want a cruiser then go the Lude.

dc2dc2dc2
04-09-2005, 11:27 PM
If you want power and performance, then go the Type R. If u want a cruiser then go the Lude.

its that simple. :thumbsup:

locote
05-09-2005, 12:01 AM
if you want torque then boost is the answer!!

stoff
05-09-2005, 12:37 AM
yeh two totally different cars...just gotta choose which is for you.

you'll find the lude can handle awesome too after some decent sussy mods like konis/eibachs..:)

typsy
05-09-2005, 11:48 AM
go the type r. you will have no regrets. plus the PY DC2R is a real head tunrer.

GenV
05-09-2005, 12:25 PM
Its totally up to what you want your car to do..
I got a 5th gen lude and was considering selling to get a dc2r.
As good as it would be to have one, i wouldn't make the most of a dc2r as i mostly just drive around town, so stuck with the lude...
You can do a few mods to get the lude a bit quicker or handle a bit better, but if u want something more powerful and handles its business on the track, then go the type r.

spardikis
06-09-2005, 07:32 AM
Thats my car again!!!

Zilli
06-09-2005, 12:04 PM
Tough one

when i got my r there was a black vtir with tan leather sitting in the showroom... i loved the plusheness of the lude, but i never drove it...

i drove the R and i was sold...

sometimes ir egret it because its a bit uncomfrtable, but then 5700 comes around and i cant wipe the smile off....

hehehe

fadz
06-09-2005, 05:09 PM
id chose the TYPE R any day..

keric_02
06-09-2005, 06:14 PM
Go type r. They're freakin hot!

26ounce
06-09-2005, 06:24 PM
Its totally up to what you want your car to do..

Agreed, it depends on how you will be using the car. I know when I was looking at Type Rs I found were too focused on speed rather than comfort.

syk
06-09-2005, 08:11 PM
go the type-r for sure... best car i've ever driven by far, the longer i own mine, the more i love it :)

2NTICN
06-09-2005, 09:37 PM
lol sounds almost like a unanamous decision. unless u really really have a thing for comfort, the DC2R is the choice by far

91'lude
06-09-2005, 09:37 PM
Performance the Type R wins. But sometimes you have to question the interior and the ride quality, there the closest thing you'll get to a road built race car this side of $50,000 though.

Prelude has speed, interior, comfort, economy, but yes, it wont perform as well as a Type R, but being 400cc bigger, the engine responds well, just ask Az how his h22a is going compared to DC2R's....

wenshuju
06-09-2005, 11:56 PM
get the typeR u'll never get sick of it, pretty sure after a while u'll get sick of the lude

CONAN
07-09-2005, 01:20 AM
imo dc2r would be one of the closest thing to a street driven race car :)

2NTICN
08-09-2005, 10:31 PM
so whats ur thoughts now after gettin some feedback dude???

kOncept
09-09-2005, 03:12 AM
I'd say go the R, you could solve the problem of your exfriend having one by doing a JDM front conversion??? then again even if you want a pimpin car a mega dropped R doesn't look that bad (at the sacrifice of handling, but you still got the power)...

Then again I think many ppl here underestimate the H22As potential, a decently worked H22A with the right mods ;) can give the R a run for it's money. after all it is 360cc more to work with :)

thanh
11-09-2005, 07:01 PM
Dc2r Buddy!

type one
11-09-2005, 07:21 PM
imo dc2r would be one of the closest thing to a street driven race car :)

behind the Lotus Elise, Cooper S, v6 clio sport to just name a few...

I loved my R to bits... i can't talk about it highly enough - and i really always disagree with people who say its rough, uncomfortable etc... sit in a mini moke and then decide what creature comfort is.

Blew_lude
11-09-2005, 07:28 PM
if i had that choice..i would of taken an R

00dc2
12-09-2005, 01:37 AM
behind the Lotus Elise, Cooper S, v6 clio sport to just name a few...

I loved my R to bits... i can't talk about it highly enough - and i really always disagree with people who say its rough, uncomfortable etc... sit in a mini moke and then decide what creature comfort is.

Cooper S?

are you serious?

Moya
19-09-2005, 09:10 PM
so whats ur thoughts now after gettin some feedback dude???

It's a bloody hard choice!!

5th VTI-R is 'nice' - drives good and is smooth and fast enough, has VTEC and definately has the sexy look. However, at the moment, a Type R with weight reduction, and modded to the shithouse (well, only the basics, CAI, exhaust, ECU, Cam and maybe drive shaft etc) is definately me.

Anyone in Brisbane have a modded Type R? Well, at least CAI and exhaust? I would love to be taken for a quick drive to here what she sounds like (cos I know it'll be HOT). PM me if you could be soo nice. I'm Brisbane Southside (and Westside)

civ_sik
19-09-2005, 09:31 PM
Cooper S?

are you serious?

have you driven a cooper s they are bloody fast, anyways type r for sure but if its a close thing on your mind im sure the lude would be cheaper but you get what you pay for...

bubblecivic
19-09-2005, 09:33 PM
Sexy look!?!?!??! Check out a DC2R with JDM FRONT!! THAT IS SEXY! lol

civ_sik
19-09-2005, 09:36 PM
yea the jdm front is far better than the audm spec front, but i dont mind either

samsider
19-09-2005, 11:11 PM
get a del sol

id get the type r without even thinking

2NTICN
19-09-2005, 11:25 PM
yeh agreed, i dont even know why ur considering anymore, TYPE R by a mile!!!

gReY-oNe
19-09-2005, 11:27 PM
yeah if i had the choice i would of taken the type r
kekekek dis cummin from a prelude driver...

stevent
20-09-2005, 07:16 PM
im in this position aswell.
how much money would have to be put into a 5th gen vtir to be on even par with a stock dc2r?

also, how 'uncomfortable' is the type r? i haven't test driven either of them but im about 90% sure that ill be getting either the 5th gen or the dc2r as insurance won't let me get a turbo :'(

the only thing putting me off getting a type r is that the shape is pretty old (though i still think it looks nice) and how people say its uncomfortable etc.
prelude looks nice, interior is pretty clean, but my brother has a 00 celica and its about the same speed as the prelude so im wanting something a bit faster since ive driven his car a lot of times haha.

fly_vti
20-09-2005, 07:19 PM
Dc2r Man.

industrie
20-09-2005, 07:25 PM
a prelude VTIR will beat a celica anyday ...so you shouldnt worry about that...at the end of the day the prelude itself is a good design...its still modern and hasnt lost its image at all...where as the type R is a great performance car but its shape and image is getting a bit old and dry...depends what your looking for...as stated earlier in many posts

if you want comfort and a bit of zap get a prelude VTIR, if yo uwant pure performance get a Type R

stevent
20-09-2005, 07:32 PM
im talking about the newest celica, the 0-100 and qtr miles are suppose to be pretty close but the lude beats it by a little bit. not sure tho.. anyway yeah pretty hard decision, but if i get a 5th gen i can get one a lot cheaper than an ITR and i can spend the rest on the money on some mods =D

Jnr_Mint
20-09-2005, 08:28 PM
...where as the type R is a great performance car but its shape and image is getting a bit old and dry...

I agree the teg R are nice cars, i think a bit overated and as for the looks, the more i look at them the more i see the DA9, there nice but i think the shape of the lude is nicer...

kronjp
21-09-2005, 01:43 AM
It's all academic as the teg R he was refering has sold. The buyer is....

sydteg21
21-09-2005, 11:29 AM
I think you should go for a TYPE R, it is obviously fast, in my opinion, prelude only looks good from front ,when you look form side,don't you think they got freaking long nose, haha

Da1nONLY
21-09-2005, 03:58 PM
the R! =)
get the R....
dont think the shape is that old!
hehe.. still new to me!

ROLLED
05-10-2005, 10:39 PM
i guess it depends if you have an auto lude or a manual one, the manual ones are rare, i've driven the 6 spd celica before and i doubt an auto prelude would beat it...the manual one might... only because of the more torque it produces...

but get the type-R the recaro seats in them are awesome and your definately wont be dissapointed with the performance and the handling for that matter, it corners so much flatter then a prelude and plus the projector headlights make it look heaps better then the cheap and outdated style of the preludes reflector headlights!

Rax
09-10-2005, 01:40 PM
go the type R, i own a 5th gen prelude n goes really nice n cruisy however if i had the money id go a dc2 type R ne day for performance, looks and even cruisy if u reli like.

Integra
09-10-2005, 02:40 PM
Dc2r Anyday!

Speeder
09-10-2005, 03:34 PM
Cooper S?

are you serious?

Yeah he must mean the original one. In stock form the new cooper S has a cr@ppy single cam engine that puffs out at like 5k rpm, and is an understeer king. The gearbox is nothing special with alongish throw. However the original minis handled like its was on rails thanks to their size and weight and are a lot of fun. I was pretty disappointed with the new mini S, as on paper they look pretty good, but thats were the illusion ends.

Back to topic, depends on what you want out of a car, do you want an engine with 2 seats or do you want a little more then that? Type R does one thing and only one thing better imo then the prelude and thats performance, everything else, prelude does it a little bit better.

r`Geno
09-10-2005, 04:22 PM
You won't regret driving the R

vtc
28-10-2005, 06:55 PM
Has no one said the magic key word... "Sunroof" Its all good having street legal track car but how many times do you actually use it to its potential.

Way up the options... Buy something you wont get sick of later on. Im undecided at the moment as well. Same problem

[EVLKEN]
17-11-2005, 01:35 AM
hehe everyones saying type R... i say PRELUDE!!!!! has anyone dragged lude VS Type R not much difference if you looking at the speed

IN73GZ
17-11-2005, 09:08 AM
i cant believe this thing is still going. i thought it was Type R hands down....

Da1nONLY
17-11-2005, 09:13 AM
']hehe everyones saying type R... i say PRELUDE!!!!! has anyone dragged lude VS Type R not much difference if you looking at the speed

On the track big difference....
if your comparing quarter mile times... 0.5 sec is alot of difference ;)

IN73GZ
17-11-2005, 09:24 AM
On the track big difference....
if your comparing quarter mile times... 0.5 sec is alot of difference ;)

the boy speaks alot of truth :thumbsup:

Moya
17-11-2005, 11:00 AM
Has no one said the magic key word... "Sunroof" Its all good having street legal track car but how many times do you actually use it to its potential.

Way up the options... Buy something you wont get sick of later on. Im undecided at the moment as well. Same problem

Well, as others probably know, I ended up getting the VTI-R. Mainly because $25k for a DC2R is out of my budget for now. And other mainly because I found exactly what I wanted, awesome condition black vtir completely stock, which gives me the modding potential I want.

Without letting this thread die, I thought I'd post up some personal experience I have had looking at both these cars.

Please bear in mind that my previous car was a Ford Falcon AU2. So a heavy, torque, highly fuel inefficient semi-luxury, low build quality, roomy car.

5th Gen Prelude VTi-R
Exterior: looked pretty sexy, even stock. Definately needs to be lowered asap.

Interior: Was 'nice'. ALOT less roomy than the Ford. ALOT. Without adjusting the seat, my head was hitting the roof. And I'm not that big, 180cm, 85KG ripped! :wave:. Everything electric is nice, loved the sunroof.

Power: hrmmmmm :confused: At stock...The 2.2L H22A I personally thought was rather overrated. Although I will say this is due to the weight. It feels as if power is only really within VTEC. Overall, the car isnt slow, but due to the weight, when it was at low revs, it felt it had nothing. Short of being pumped full of botox, planting your foot then giving it redline from 1st through till 3rd (wheelspinning through the gear changes) WILL make your grin ear to ear. Anyone seen American Pie 1, where that hot brunette is in the nerdy guys room getting it on with herself..and everyone watching it is like "HOOOLY SHIT" - that was me :D :D.

Handling: :thumbdwn: :thumbdwn: :thumbdwn: Bodyroll was worse than my Ford. Putting your foot down through a corner, and you'll either come out spinning, or go straight ahead spinning. Ride quality was really nice though. The build quality was good, no rattles or any feeling of "ffs cheap pos".

DC2R Integra Type R
Exterior: HAWT. No disrespect to anyone who choses to leave theres externally stock!

Interior: Everything you want, except the luxuries :) Anyone who doesn't love the Recaro's is crazy. Steering wheel has awesome grip and feels good. Not that cheap feeling (for anyone who's driven a stock Lancer GLI). For coast trips (1hr+ drives) - the recaros will piss you off. But then when you get out of your car and remember your driving an R, the smile makes your neck feel better.

Power: Giddy up! :cool: :cool: Yes, theres no torque compared to your Falcoon or Commondore, but it still moves at low revs. Sub 5, she moves and is smooth. Gear changes at mid-rpm are a little chunky due to the short shifter, but meh.

GRANTED, Unlike my Ford, The Type R WILL NOT push you back into your seat when your cruising at 110KM, then plant your foot. But meh..if I wanted to do that I'd get a Bogan LS1 and mod it.

Handling: Awesome. For off the shelf, it was the shit. LSD is awesome, and nothing is like taking a corner at 5000rpm, then while you exit the apex, entering VTEC :cool:

So..Why'd I go Integra VTi-R over DC2R Type R or Prelude VTi-R?
$10,000. I couldn't justify the difference. Sure it's not AS fast as the Type R. But it's very very similar. Everything I mentioned above for the Type R stands true for the VTi-R, except the Recaro's.

26ounce
17-11-2005, 12:11 PM
Good work dude, nice reviews. Interestingly, I went through the same process as you recently, except I ended up getting a black dc2 vtir (99) instead of a ‘lude, I made my choice for pretty similar reasons too.

Now that it is finally starting to warm up in WA I feel great driving around with the windows down and the sunroof open.

Moya
17-11-2005, 12:27 PM
Good work dude, nice reviews. Interestingly, I went through the same process as you recently, except I ended up getting a black dc2 vtir (99) instead of a ‘lude, I made my choice for pretty similar reasons too.

Now that it is finally starting to warm up in WA I feel great driving around with the windows down and the sunroof open.

I did get a DC2 95 Integra VTI-R :)

Opps. maybe my post was ambiguous. I'll edit :)

superR
17-11-2005, 06:04 PM
who ever said cooper S... forget about them..... well i do when i c my mate in his in my rearview mirror

Da1nONLY
17-11-2005, 07:01 PM
who ever said cooper S... forget about them..... well i do when i c my mate in his in my rearview mirror

In his rear view or in YOUR rear view mirror? :p

evo201
17-11-2005, 09:38 PM
we had a 5th gen at work recentley we did the computer upgrade on it and the air filter and it made 110hp
a dc2r with same mods makes 150hp

BongStyle
20-11-2005, 04:09 PM
how does a 5th gen lude match up agaisnt an EK4??

IN73GZ
20-11-2005, 05:10 PM
PLEASE CLOSE THIS, its over guys, and if u wana compare it to the EK4 go and start your own thread!

h22a jdm
20-11-2005, 05:52 PM
Tough one

when i got my r there was a black vtir with tan leather sitting in the showroom... i loved the plusheness of the lude, but i never drove it...

i drove the R and i was sold...

sometimes ir egret it because its a bit uncomfrtable, but then 5700 comes around and i cant wipe the smile off....

hehehe
i thought v.t.e.c kicked in at 5000rpm in every car

h22a jdm
20-11-2005, 05:54 PM
if u mod the lude 2 d max and the teg to the max the lude would win right

GTLUDE
20-11-2005, 05:57 PM
Haha. Ive got a 5th Gen prelude vtir and my best mate has a Dc2 type r (NSANER)! Him and I are always fighting, who has the better car and i can honestly say. When we both bought them stock. He would always beat me by a few cars

Pretty much if you want a type R you get what you pay for...... Speed
The prelude however is more of a cruise car and looks rather then race. But it depends on the person if you want more looks wise then speed.

bennjamin
20-11-2005, 06:06 PM
Do not post up threads like this in future.

IF so , make them in the LOUNGE- in regards to car options/accessories etc and NOT in on-street racing.

Closed