PDA

View Full Version : How to remove oil filter??@&!!!*?!?

DomenEK
05-09-2005, 12:51 AM
Well, how the hell do you remove the oil filter on an EK civic??

I know this topic has been covered a gazillion times, but I did my research, and I still couldn't get the bastard off!! My oil filter wrench kept slipping, and I couldn't undo it with my bare hands. Either the mechanic screwed it on too tight, or Honda have a special tool to remove their filters! It could also be that it's in a tight spot to get at....

I tried for about 45 minutes to get the thing off.... :confused:

**Ghost**
05-09-2005, 01:19 AM
1. empty out ur engine

2. wear some safety glasses (for this method its necessary)

3a (not guaranteed to work, it didnt for me) = get sand paper, sand the outside then try and hand undo it...

3b (guaranteed to work)...get a flat screwdriver, decent size... now with ur safety glasses on... stab it!!! once it goes through, use the screwdriver to leverage it off.. stab horizontally

so if this was ur oilfilter ()

and if thsi was ur screwdriver ==---->

u want it to be

===--(---)---->

now u can get it offf... no way u cant

DomenEK
05-09-2005, 01:38 AM
Yeah, I tried similar, except I used a non-slip mat thingy to get some grip, and still it wouldn't budge.

I did think about the screw driver option, but I thought if I still can't get it off then, I'm fcuked...

**Ghost**
05-09-2005, 01:40 AM
if u still cant get it off then... the honda mechanics put it on with super glue...

nah the oil filter is just a fking bad piece of equipment...they tend to be overtightened and theyre not exactly in the most logical positions for something that needs ot be changed so often...

i'm sure theres some engineering justification to it that someone can tell me tho but form my point of view its just plain a pain in the ass

do the screwdriver

91OOM
05-09-2005, 05:57 AM
you can buy an oil filter relocation kit for $95.70, from www.rocketind.com. Basically it makes a new bracket up the top of the engine bay on the firewall, so it's nice and easy to get too.
:)

chameleon
05-09-2005, 07:38 AM
yes, the honda oilfilter is quite small and need a different wrench to get it off. go to autobarn and ask them for a small wrench. Thats what i did

Z
05-09-2005, 09:07 AM
Stab it with a screwdriver.

SPEEDCORE
05-09-2005, 09:10 AM
Sandpaper and/or a latex glove.

insouciant
05-09-2005, 11:13 AM
you can buy an oil filter relocation kit for $95.70, from www.rocketind.com. Basically it makes a new bracket up the top of the engine bay on the firewall, so it's nice and easy to get too.
:)

got a partnumber? i can't find it using the search function

ACTI0NMAN-1
05-09-2005, 11:38 AM

yes, stab it with a screw driver and turn. you're going to throw the thing out anyway.

_CiVIC_
05-09-2005, 12:11 PM
when i had my civic, my brother(he's a mechanic) used to try and twist it off, but if that didn't work he would usually end up stabbing it with a flat head screwdriver then apply a bit of pressure by the screwdriver onto it, then cracks the seal it develops, then place the screwdriver underneath the filter, then basically flick it off.

revNhevN
05-09-2005, 12:23 PM
got a partnumber? i can't find it using the search function
This is a universal kit. Review/Installation in Autosalon mag. I think it made by permo cool.

SLPJCooL
05-09-2005, 02:10 PM
Man, just get a 3-way Oil Filter Wrench from Autobarn. Works perfect for my civic. It acts like a graber and you need a Socket Wrench to use it. I'll show you a pic when I get home.
Those slip-on Oil Filters are way too big for civics.

keric_02
05-09-2005, 02:31 PM
A flathead screw will definately do the job. That's probably the best and cheapest way of doing it, just use it to loosen the filter after that, use your hands.

keric_02
05-09-2005, 02:37 PM
you'll also probably hav to make a few holes it in, cos the filter starts to tear. It sounds like a bad way of removing it but just make sure you do it gently.

chameleon
05-09-2005, 02:45 PM
Man, just get a 3-way Oil Filter Wrench from Autobarn. Works perfect for my civic. It acts like a graber and you need a Socket Wrench to use it. I'll show you a pic when I get home.
Those slip-on Oil Filters are way too big for civics.

exactly!! Fair bit cleaner too. I got one myself and it works perfectly

wynode
05-09-2005, 04:32 PM
You can get an oifilter tool from Kmart even. Come off real easy with that. Never had any problems

tegstar83
05-09-2005, 05:58 PM
just make sure u stab it all the way through best way,
Ive always just used the wrench but if it gets to me then out will come out trusty flathead

samsider
06-09-2005, 12:30 AM
that claw thing.

ask CONAN

EG5[KRT]
06-09-2005, 01:21 AM
i use the 3 way claw thingy at work. it works on most cars.worked on my honda,my friends honda, and my other friends honda.so .. i cant c why it woudlnt work ....

civiceg9
06-09-2005, 02:27 PM
Just get an oil filter wrench (the 3 claw things), all garages have one to remove oil filters.

Nightrider
06-09-2005, 02:33 PM
Honda parts stores sell a custom "cap" that fits over Honda's small oil filters.
It has a nut on the end to use your shifter on.
Makes it easy as. Cost is $10-15.
Suggest you buy this rather then other wrench's etc.

ingram
06-09-2005, 05:26 PM
punch a old screw driver through it! then twist it off. its mess but works!

THE_MASS
06-09-2005, 07:36 PM
STAB IT!! :p :p
LOL :D

CONAN
07-09-2005, 01:13 AM
STAB IT!! hahaha
i've never heard of that method, but sounds like fun!!

i use a cheap oil filter wrench to take it off, cost about 10bux from your local auto parts store

egSi
07-09-2005, 08:09 AM
lol this is why i only use K+N oil filters, on and off with only ur hand, good shit.

i have 3 different oil filter wrenchs and none of em get the OEM filter off, BAH! lol

DomenEK
07-09-2005, 08:27 AM
That's also the reason why I bought my K&N filter, but to get it on, I have to get the old one off. I do have a filter wrench, but it's a POS, and keeps slipping - I think 'cos it's too big for the filter. And I'm not game enough to stab it with a screwdriver - in case I still can't get it off (it's on pretty damn tight)...

muhhan
07-09-2005, 10:31 AM
Just keep trying to get it off whatever method works. Mine came off easy with a oil filter wrench that had a rubberised strap instead of the hard strap. It's in a mofu of a place though ain't it! :mad:
Don't know if you've had any advice when taking it off but don't lie directly under it cos oil's gonna piss out of that thing when you start to loosen it. When I changed mine, just last week, the guy at autobarn was like "oh yeah just unscrew it and then quickly hold it vertical so the oil doesn't drip out" but you won't have time. By the time I unscrewed mine all the oil had drained out and onto my arm.