PDA

View Full Version : BP Ultimate/Shell Optimax - would it benefit my EJ8 Civic GLi?

Alpine
05-09-2005, 02:35 PM
As the topic asks.

civ_sik
05-09-2005, 02:39 PM
Why dont you put the two threads together? in a section where they can be together instead of having two different threads asking the same question...

[[d a n n y]]
05-09-2005, 02:44 PM
what fuel are u using now???
if your using 91 ocaten unleaded stuff

yes the 98 stuff will definately improve your fuel economy response and power.

keric_02
05-09-2005, 04:04 PM
As the topic asks.

yes it will benefit your car, but is it worth the extra money? for that car i would just stick to regular unleaded and fill up premium on every 5th go to the fuel station.

mugeneration
05-09-2005, 04:21 PM
i reckon it does. Engine runs cooler for longer. I drove half way from wagga to sydney before the temperature even got up to half of the temp guage. And it sat on that for the rest of the trip. Its great stuff, you can feel the tiny amount of extra oomph you get as well. At least I can, but it may be one of those psychological thingos u know? lol. ANyway its like 5 bucks extra to fill the tank between 92 and 98 octane isnt it? Put about 5 tanks worth thru and see if you feel much difference. Of course coz this is gradual most ppl dont notice til they switch back to 92ron lol. Anyway, end of story, i use it, even tho its as expensive as a mofo.

_CiVIC_
05-09-2005, 04:50 PM
Petrol is a highly complicated mixture of compounds. Gasoline, which is obtained from petrol by chemical and physical processes, contains many different hydrocarbons, these are CH compounds. The combustion of octane(regular fuel) is at 5074kJ of heat per mole. Meaning the weight of each litre of petrol divided by it molecular weight resulting in the amount of moles per litre. The 5074kJ is the combustion value which is equivalent to about 44.4kJ/g, this is why petrol is so popular as it produces such a tremendous amount of combustion with just 1mole of it. As for the case of different classifications of fuel, the high the Octane level, the higher the combustion value, therefore you use less fuel to achieve maximum power. Petrol releases more heat per gram compared to any other fuel source.

hope that didn't confuse you :confused:

tRipitaka
05-09-2005, 04:53 PM
Petrol is a highly complicated mixture of compounds. Gasoline, which is obtained from petrol by chemical and physical processes, contains many different hydrocarbons, these are CH compounds. The combustion of octane(regular fuel) is at 5074kJ of heat per mole. Meaning the weight of each litre of petrol divided by it molecular weight resulting in the amount of moles per litre. The 5074kJ is the combustion value which is equivalent to about 44.4kJ/g, this is why petrol is so popular as it produces such a tremendous amount of combustion with just 1mole of it. As for the case of different classifications of fuel, the high the Octane level, the higher the combustion value, therefore you use less fuel to achieve maximum power. Petrol releases more heat per gram compared to any other fuel source.

hope that didn't confuse you :confused:
does that answer his question ? :confused:

_CiVIC_
05-09-2005, 04:55 PM
Well I just described the process of the burning of the fuel. The higher the octane level, the more efficiently the fuel will burn, and therefore use less in order to produce the power, compared to that of a lower octane level.

VT3C
05-09-2005, 05:38 PM
The higher the octane level, the more efficiently the fuel will burn, and therefore use less in order to produce the power, compared to that of a lower octane level.

you got it. higher octane content will deliver more efficient combustion and therefore more power.. if u dont get lead-footed with all this neck-snapping new power, you should actually use less power.

you could also advance your ignition timing to take advantage of the higher octane and create more top-end power.

I'd fill your tank with Ultimate before advancing your timing by manually rotating the distributor before re-setting your ECU.

but as someone said about rising fuel prices, maybe better to just use regular ULP to save bucks. I have a Jap-spec motor which is meant for a diet of 100RON but the best it can get to drink is 98RON. I cannot use regular ULP as it will result in detonation and damage the motor.. so therefore I am stuck paying extra few cents a litre ( PULP was $1.348 and ULP was $1.246) however as your car is tuned to run ULP, i'd take advantage of being able to run cheaper fuel.

xtercii
06-09-2005, 03:25 PM
People always debate about his topic, some people say high octane petrol will not benefit cars tuned to run on ULP, it can even damage the motor, some people say it makes the car run better and more efficient…really wanna know the truth…

Q_ball
06-09-2005, 03:32 PM
im sure this has been covered multiple times in the past...

jackosimm
06-09-2005, 06:25 PM
sure is a regular topic, and i dont think there is a clear answer due to many people having strong, yet different, opinions and facts about it all.

Zdster
06-09-2005, 07:32 PM
I guess the question really is, assuming you drive exactly the same way you did before the premium, is can the cost saving really be seen by driving further on the same tank?

THE_MASS
06-09-2005, 07:43 PM
this topic was discussed many times. you should try doing a search :)