PDA

View Full Version : DBA disc brakes

Tofu
24-02-2004, 09:53 AM
has anyone had any experience with DBA brake rotors?
are there anyone here that's using them right now?

what are your thoughts and opionions of them?

ginganggooly
24-02-2004, 10:48 AM
i've used the dba gold rotors, they were bloody useless. i never got to use them on the track because they only lasted me 18k on the street. i managed to induce fade (stock pads) quite easily. i ditched them because they were badly warped and cracked.

i'm now running the dba slotted rotors, they seem to have much better resistance to fade. i'm not sure if it should be the case, but the pedal isn't going as spongey during old road runs. i haven't had them for long enough to see how they are in terms of cracks and warpage. hopefully i'll get a chance to give them some track abuse this week. what surprised me most was that i didn't expect to see any noticable difference from rotors, but the difference is quite obvious during a hard downhill drive!

from my experience so far, Slotted>Stock>Gold.

wynode
24-02-2004, 11:47 AM
i've used the dba gold rotors, they were bloody useless. i never got to use them on the track because they only lasted me 18k on the street. i managed to induce fade (stock pads) quite easily. i ditched them because they were badly warped and cracked.

i'm now running the dba slotted rotors, they seem to have much better resistance to fade. i'm not sure if it should be the case, but the pedal isn't going as spongey during old road runs. i haven't had them for long enough to see how they are in terms of cracks and warpage. hopefully i'll get a chance to give them some track abuse this week. what surprised me most was that i didn't expect to see any noticable difference from rotors, but the difference is quite obvious during a hard downhill drive!

from my experience so far, Slotted>Stock>Gold.That's what i've heard from a few ppl.

ALso, DBA don't recommend the GOLD rotors for track use, so if you use them on the track and they warp/crack, don't expect to be able to take them back to DBA and get a refund/replacement.

crx2gen
24-02-2004, 12:07 PM
Exactly. Gold rotors are for general use, not abuse. If you are using your brakes heavily you'd probably be better off with 4000 series rotors.

However, if you want an answer direct from the guys at DBA, sign up for www.performanceforums.com, they have a sponsored DBA brake forum with direct contact with Steve from DBA. Drop him a PM to the username 'dbasteve'.

eknine
24-02-2004, 01:13 PM
stocks the best:)

else you have project mu, endless, brembo, ........

Tofu
24-02-2004, 05:19 PM
i can source a set of AEM 12" rotors for my car for $630 landed from USA
just looking at all my options...
but now other things have occured...
something's wrong with the intake...it now sounds so beasty in a bad way..
it even sounds like there's a whistling/whining noise like a supercharger..??

McChook
24-02-2004, 06:45 PM
I have been using and been involved with Using DBA rotors for years. Never had a single problem with them - trick is to use good pads with them. Rotors alone with OEM pads won't make a lickin' difference.

Personal prefs are DBA slotted rotors with Hawk Carbide or Bendix Ultimate pads.

wynode
24-02-2004, 06:59 PM
I have been using and been involved with Using DBA rotors for years. Never had a single problem with them - trick is to use good pads with them. Rotors alone with OEM pads won't make a lickin' difference.

Personal prefs are DBA slotted rotors with Hawk Carbide or Bendix Ultimate pads.

I'd tend to disagree upto a point. Simply going to slotted rotors will help reduce brake fade with stock pads.

McChook
24-02-2004, 07:08 PM
We did a test with stock honda pads, and made little to zero difference.
We have been using DBA slots for quite some time, and in all of our race cars, even our own skyline - and it stops, trust me.... Using Bendix ultimates, which we have used before on standard rotors with nice results - DBA slots make quite a nice difference

Just don't go for crossdrilled, and especially ona road car, they will crack due to heatspots and warpage if you use them on a road car.... Watched a brand new set of DBA cross-drilled rotors crack not 2 hours after being first used.. Supersprint, 4 7minutes sessions every 20 mins....

olda
24-02-2004, 07:43 PM

I second that :!: :!: :!: Been there - done that :!: :!: :!:

olda
24-02-2004, 08:02 PM
just looking at all my options...
but now other things have occured...
something's wrong with the intake...it now sounds so beasty in a bad way..
it even sounds like there's a whistling/whining noise like a supercharger..??

What air filter do u run??? Cover off??? Mine K&N is whistling like crazy, but only when accelerating and only at the start in each gear. :|

Tofu
24-02-2004, 11:09 PM
i use Trust Airinx 2
just a replacement air filter for the dc5
it's a pod as standard

wynode
24-02-2004, 11:22 PM
We did a test with stock honda pads, and made little to zero difference....

Which was...?

McChook
24-02-2004, 11:49 PM
We did a test with stock honda pads, and made little to zero difference....

Which was...?

EK civic hatch
DBA rotors vs OEM rotors with OEM pads
Had to use rotors that were worn in, so that was a pain, but eventually found some. did 5 laps of wakefield with each rotor after warming the brakes up

We barely found a difference.

test 2 was test pads with OEM rotors
Bendix Ultimates, Bendix Kings and OEMs.
Ultimates were the best, but wore hard, were a little dirty, and the rotor didn't like them. Changed to DBA slots was phenominal.

We now use this combination on our Skyline. We use DBA slots on the EG civic sedan racecar.

Weq
25-02-2004, 12:58 AM
Sure ultimates will help ur car stop faster, but as u said above, ur next brake chnage will invole new dics.

wynode
25-02-2004, 09:55 AM

No offence, but a propper test would involve some numbers and scientific proof.

Eg: 0-100 stopping times, repeated a few times consecatively for each set of rotors.

eknine
25-02-2004, 10:14 AM
don't say you heard from me, but abt a year ago i was told by honda that DBA buy stock honda rotor from them...for what, it leave alot to ur imagination..

as for sloted, most of the discussion on the reduction of brake fade, better stopping power, etc is commonly associated with slotted rotors....

as for pads...well there are pads for use for it purpose..thats why they have different heatup temps to accomadate different usage.

actually why DBA, why not endless or project mu? too inferior compared to DBA?<laffz>......i don't have to tell you guys that somone on aus ebay is selling a pair of project mu rotors right:)

_Wing_
25-02-2004, 11:14 AM
i'm now running the dba slotted rotors, they seem to have much better resistance to fade. i'm not sure if it should be the case, but the pedal isn't going as spongey during old road runs.
Theoretically, this should not be the case; slotted rotors were "invented" to let out the gases that were released during braking due to the type of material used to bond the pad together, the material used now days do not release these gases.
What you may be feeling is a newly bleed brake system, or perhaps the fact that the pads use to get glaze on hard runs and now with the addition of slots, this is reduced... the slots are cutting away at your pads faster than non-slotted; meaning more pad wear. This trade off is up to you... longer pad life, or longer rotor life, both WILL wear out eventually.
Also bear in mind that slotted rotors can not be "turned"/machined - this can reduce usable life considerably.
What is also happening is that the DBA rotors run cooler than your stock rotors... or at least that is what DBA claims last time I read their one of their pamphlets.
All this added together should be the *real* reason why upgraded rotors helped, not just because of slots.
[Cross drilled is shit, as mentioned above but then again, it is good in some situations - eg. On a bike to save weight, but that is not our application]

Last time I was looking at AEM big brake [rotor] kit, it was for all show and no go. Last time I looked, it was cross drilled and slotted pink and purple and yellow and some other fag colours. Colours aside, cross drilled slotted has been covered already.

We did a test with stock honda pads, and made little to zero difference.

Eg: 0-100 stopping times, repeated a few times consecatively for each set of rotors.

I agree here.

eknine
25-02-2004, 11:44 AM
very well explained :thumbsup: :nod:

ginganggooly
25-02-2004, 12:25 PM

that is helpful to a degree, but -there ALWAYS a but!! :)- the problem is that stopping distances aren't the issue, it's more about fade, consistancy and feel. i don't even know if there is a way of quantifying fade.

that said, i guess you could do a set of 4 stops from 120km/h and see if that induces fade.

re: the fade and slots.
yep, i've read the theories on outgassing, fade, slots and so forth many, many times.i often find conflicting information, so i really don't know whom to believe. what i did notice is a small but deffinate change in brake behaviour after a hard run with the slotted discs. whether this is a bit of the 'ol placebo effect remains to be seen :)

an interesting piece from the DBA website-
Unidirectional slotting (left and right), to increase pad bite, reduce fade and deliver exceptional braking performance.

Slots continually de-glaze the brake pads, improving efficiency and reducing rotor scoring. They even out-wear across the brake pad faces, increasing the effective contact area and extending rotor life.

Slots help dissipate water when driving in poor weather, as well as pump away dust and dirt.

Slotting also combats "out-gassing", where gas (from the pad bonding agents) can form a cushion between pad and rotor, greatly reducing braking power.

Provide a cost effective solution to improve the stopping performance of vehicles which are "under-braked" (such as many large four-wheel drives).

wynode
25-02-2004, 01:11 PM

that is helpful to a degree, but -there ALWAYS a but!! :)- the problem is that stopping distances aren't the issue, it's more about fade, consistancy and feel. i don't even know if there is a way of quantifying fade.

That's why you repeat them with back to back runs and notice the change in stopping distances.

McChook
25-02-2004, 06:04 PM

That's why you repeat them with back to back runs and notice the change in stopping distances.

Sorry, we used track times. Stopping distances don't really work in the real world

joneblaze
25-02-2004, 06:24 PM
heehee...."real world"..... :)

cheebye
25-02-2004, 07:01 PM
I used the DBA slotted rotors with Endless pads on my previous car - 98 wrx. both were a good upgrade over the stock items and felt really good when cold/hot and hard braking. Like many ppl have said, stay away from slotted rotors for they will start developing hairline cracks and leading to worse results under high heat or hard prolonged braking. I had the slotted rotors on for about 8 months and did some hard braking and they are still very good. the endless pads, (true to their name) still look like they can last another 2 years!! only thing is that they can be a bit dusty, but otherwise, I'm happy with the money spent.

_Wing_
25-02-2004, 07:55 PM

Sorry, we used track times. Stopping distances don't really work in the real world

Which world would it work in then?

You *can* quantify all these things; it is all about heat management.

The DBA quote is partly marketing orientated, so they are definately going to slap in all the "good stuff" about slottted rotors as possible.

olda
25-02-2004, 08:54 PM
i use Trust Airinx 2
just a replacement air filter for the dc5
it's a pod as standard

If u bac get rid of the whistle, pls let me know ;)
Taaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa