PDA

View Full Version : turbo honda - what oil is best?

paulosportz
06-09-2005, 12:55 PM
Hey everyone,

Just wondering what oil people here reccomend to use with a turboed honda. ive been using genuine honda oil and the car has been eating it up abit.

Ive notice some white smoke under full boost, so ive got my engine compresson checked and all was fine. It could be my turbo seals but im not to sure yet and want to leave that last to be checked.

My question is, is Oem honda oil (10-30) to thin for honda engines runnign boost?

SHould i use thicker oil? is yes, which?

thanks guys!

Q_ball
06-09-2005, 01:01 PM
i was told n e form of full synthetic oil will do the trick

ProECU
06-09-2005, 01:32 PM
you need to measure your oil temp, with a gauge and select an oil that operates from this temp onwards.
Use Fully sick synthetic.

I use Shell 5w-40, perhaps a little too thin on the 5w side of things, especially in summer, so a 10w or 15w-50 might be ideal.

paulosportz
06-09-2005, 01:57 PM
thanks for that
time to go oil shopping =]

smoknhothonda
06-09-2005, 04:47 PM
Castrol R synthetic or Motul would be the choice for, off the shelf oil down at your local super cheap auto,/Autobarn

I would be using something around the 5W-40/5W-50, 10W-30/10W-40 :thumbsup:

or if you want to spend more $$$ on something try the Motul 0W-20 or Fuchs Titan GT1 0w-20 or Castrol R 0W-40.

The Motul 0W-20 is used by Mugen racing, Nismo.

The Fuchs Titan GT1 is used in factory delivered Porsche GT3's and porsche factory racing cars.

The Castrol is a little cheaper, but the Motul and Fuchs oils are far superior.

ProECU
06-09-2005, 05:10 PM
stay away from 0w-20, it wont do the job for a turbo application, and its no where near cold enough here in the mornings to warrant a 0w
You need to remember the sub zero temperatures in Europe warrant a 0w

Dunno, just my opinion, but you seen to have mentioned every combination of oil available, and confused the situation a bit.

smoknhothonda
06-09-2005, 05:38 PM
stay away from 0w-20, it wont do the job for a turbo application, and its no where near cold enough here in the mornings to warrant a 0w
You need to remember the sub zero temperatures in Europe warrant a 0w

Dunno, just my opinion, but you seen to have mentioned every combination of oil available, and confused the situation a bit.

Depending on what amount he wishes to spend.

If he wants to spend $40-60 the 5W-40/ 5W-50 will be in his price range(the 5W-40 is the Fuchs synthetic/the 5W-50 is the Mobil 1)

If he wishes to spend up to $120 the Motul Fuchs 0w-20 is within his price range...

What info do you have to prove that a 0W is warranted for use in Australia?

These oils are not just produced for extreme cold start temperatures, but to maximise power and fuel economy.

I have been using the Fuchs Titan GT1 for over 2 years and havent had any dramas, and I know for a fact it has been used in motorsport quite a bit (Porsche cup cars/ a Fuchs sponsored R33 GTR Targa Tasmania etc etc) those 2 cars are probably the most hardcore turbos on the roads today.

No offence mate but he is driving a Honda not a Holden Torana. Why would he need a 15W-50???

ProECU
06-09-2005, 06:46 PM
Paulo,

dont use a 0w-20. The 10w-40 or 15w-40 are PROBABLY your best choices.
After all, you aren't RACING the ****in thing for 30+ laps are ya?

paulosportz
06-09-2005, 06:54 PM
yes, definetly not!

i will be defintely getting something with 10-15w and 40-50 operating temp.

hopefully this solves my problem of car eating up oil

cheers

anna1984
06-09-2005, 09:22 PM
Use Motul engine oil, its the best!!

saxman
07-09-2005, 03:13 AM
yes, definetly not!

i will be defintely getting something with 10-15w and 40-50 operating temp.

hopefully this solves my problem of car eating up oil

cheers
have you checked your charge pipes for a presence of oil in them? Do you have an oil pressure restrictor on the turbo? You could be blowing oil past the seals of the turbo at full throttle due to high oil pressure(garret turbos are only meant to have around 30-35 psi of oil pressure... hondas go much higher than that)

paulosportz
07-09-2005, 10:18 AM
have you checked your charge pipes for a presence of oil in them? Do you have an oil pressure restrictor on the turbo? You could be blowing oil past the seals of the turbo at full throttle due to high oil pressure(garret turbos are only meant to have around 30-35 psi of oil pressure... hondas go much higher than that)

charge pipe? you mean intercooler pipe? no real evidence of oil in them just only a thin layer which i think is fine. So it could be the seals on the exhaust housing side but ill try thicker oil first before i consider that as the fault.

could you please explain to be me what you a refering to regarding 'oil pressure restrictor on the turbo'? some restrictor on the oil lines going into the turbo? is that what you mean?

i have a td04L of a wrx btw.

saxman
07-09-2005, 11:42 AM
charge pipe? you mean intercooler pipe? no real evidence of oil in them just only a thin layer which i think is fine. So it could be the seals on the exhaust housing side but ill try thicker oil first before i consider that as the fault.

could you please explain to be me what you a refering to regarding 'oil pressure restrictor on the turbo'? some restrictor on the oil lines going into the turbo? is that what you mean?

i have a td04L of a wrx btw.
yah... charger pipes, intercooler pipes... one in the same

basically an oil resitrictor is an inline adaptor on your oil feed line(the one on my turbo basically replaces the oil feed fitting.) The idea is to regulate the oil pressure going into the turbo as hondas make way too much for what most turbos require. With some turbos it's a problem, with others it isn't, even among those that recommend way lower pressure. When it becomes a problem, it basically shows up as oil getting past the seals as smoke coming out the back. You would normally see oil in the charge pipes as well, but it's really hard to say for sure as there are so many different things that could be causing smoke to show up out the back.

samsider
07-09-2005, 11:47 AM
whats wrong with honda motor oil ???

paulosportz
07-09-2005, 01:18 PM
yeah got yah! hopefully when i try thicker oil onmy next service, this problem will be minimized or solved.

samsider: im thinking 10w-30 honda oil maybe abit to thin during operating temperatures while my engine is under fullboost.. and is burning up under the pressure or something.. or leaking out the turbo seals as saxman suggested

GSI-PSI
07-09-2005, 05:03 PM
hey i use magnatec in mine and it seems fine

paulosportz
07-09-2005, 06:45 PM
hey i use magnatec in mine and it seems fine

what rating mind me asking?

civ_sik
07-09-2005, 07:04 PM
10w 40 if that wahst you mean...

Weq
07-09-2005, 08:22 PM
i run 5w30. if ur leaking past the seals u need a restrictor or a rebuild.

9krpm
08-09-2005, 10:34 AM
15w40 is ideal

btw is 50 rating too high for honda?

saxman
08-09-2005, 01:21 PM
15w40 is ideal

btw is 50 rating too high for honda?
ideal for what? there's a lot that goes into deciding what is ideal

9krpm
08-09-2005, 01:52 PM
sorry saxman. You are absolutely correct.
I was referring to our OZ warm climate and occasional trackday or hill climb application.

smoknhothonda
08-09-2005, 04:12 PM
I dont know who produces a synthetic 15W-40 engine oil here in OZ?!?!

The closest to this grade on the shelves would be something like a non syn Valvoline XLD, which would be used in a pre 1990 model Holden Commodore, or Falcon, not a Honda...... :confused:

Like Weq says, its quite possible you need a rebuild, your rings might be buggered :rolleyes:

paulosportz
08-09-2005, 04:35 PM
you mean my turbo seals.

well, in the meantime.. see how thicker oil goes, im also going to look into putting a restrictor in my oil lines.
see how those two tasks go first.

GSI-PSI
08-09-2005, 05:27 PM
what rating mind me asking?

yep 10w 40 Its what was recommended by my tuner AVO