PDA

View Full Version : ultimate newb Qs: doing an oil change for the first time on the civic

timmya2
07-09-2005, 12:26 PM
done alot of oil changes before.. but mostly on older car..

i have an EG hatch breeze..

any tips on how to go about it?

stuff to avoid doing.

pre-cautions?

removing the oil filter which i've read is a pain...

thanx guys

oh oh oh.. forgot.. which oil would you guys recommend i get?

this is for an engine that is starting to smell.. and has done 497,000+ :)

cheers

**Ghost**
07-09-2005, 12:29 PM
497k+!??! fffffffff wow

neway.... things to watch out for

1. if u are removing oil filter ghetto (screwdriver) style, wear some safety goggles

2. dont undo the wrong fluid bolt - ie: diff between tranny fluid and engine fluid (i almost did that)

3. dont pollute and pour ur old oil in the drain... keep it in another bottle to be disposed of PROPERLY later on

bubblecivic
07-09-2005, 01:52 PM
Hey just a question, when people DIY oil changes... When you jack up the car from the front, doesn't that push the oil to one side thus not draining the whole engine entirely?

EGB16A
07-09-2005, 02:01 PM
Hey just a question, when people DIY oil changes... When you jack up the car from the front, doesn't that push the oil to one side thus not draining the whole engine entirely?

sump plug is at the rear

timmya2
07-09-2005, 04:34 PM
so which oil would u guys recommend for an engine thats done 497,000+

**Ghost**
07-09-2005, 04:36 PM
i would recommend a rebuild but neway...

i may be wrong but i am under the impression that ur supposed to use a THICK oil

timmya2
07-09-2005, 04:55 PM
how much do rebuilds go for now days?

egSi
07-09-2005, 05:25 PM
follow ur manual and put in dome FEO(honda oem oil)

my cat can do an oil change, its damn easy.

kvad
07-09-2005, 05:33 PM
if your after pics :)

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4695

timmya2
07-09-2005, 06:17 PM
awsome right up!

thanx!

aimre
07-09-2005, 08:17 PM
oil filter is the worst place i have EVER seen on a car

yeah u can change oil when cars on ramps, coz honda put the bolt towars the back of the sump... atleast they did something right

timmya2
07-09-2005, 08:21 PM
im gonna buy the stuff tomrrow can someone recommend me which oil to use.. and also other stuff like oil filter.. and the washer.. where can i get this?

should i just reuse the old one?

Enigma
07-09-2005, 11:49 PM
I have to say for an engine of ur age or any engine i recommend an expensive synthetic oil, might cost more but worth it.

egSi
08-09-2005, 08:10 AM
im gonna buy the stuff tomrrow can someone recommend me which oil to use.. and also other stuff like oil filter.. and the washer.. where can i get this?

should i just reuse the old one?

man, i already sed get FEO which is oem oil!

and also get the washer from honda for 20c.

dont bother with expensive oil, waste of money, ur honda came out with this oil so its the best oil.

get oil, filter and washer from ur local Honda dealer.

btw read ur replys.

timmya2
08-09-2005, 10:23 AM
ok ill get the FEO, anyone know the closest honda dealership in blacktown?

also should i use the engine flush fluid?.. that green liquid stuff that gets rid of old oil and gunk in the engine...

bennjamin
08-09-2005, 10:37 AM
ok ill get the FEO, anyone know the closest honda dealership in blacktown?

also should i use the engine flush fluid?.. that green liquid stuff that gets rid of old oil and gunk in the engine...

the closet honda dealer to you - might be Great western Honda.

CLICK HERE FOR G. WESTERN HONDA (http://www.honda.com.au/buying+a+honda/dealer+locator/index.asp?dealer=hjbcj)

Also , please dotn use that engine flush stuff. ESPECIALLY on your older engine - there will be carbon and sludge deposits which are literally keeping the engine together + the compression up :) You might was them away...

JUST change the oil + filter !

katanadave
08-09-2005, 10:44 AM

yeah u can change oil when cars on ramps, coz honda put the bolt towars the back of the sump... atleast they did something right

Have you seen one on a 4AG? It's underneath the exhaust manifold.. !!!!

katanadave
08-09-2005, 10:46 AM
so which oil would u guys recommend for an engine thats done 497,000+

Dang!... um.. B18C5 Conversion :D

MoDCoN
30-09-2005, 02:10 PM

has anyone here done the oil filter relocation DIY that was in autosalon mag???

SLPJCooL
30-09-2005, 11:24 PM
NOTE: Most Oil filters in the market will not be small enough for our civics. So get a 3-Way Oil Wrench Filter if you wanna change it the "proper" way. Otherwise, 'Getto' screwdriver will still work!

P.S - If you buy Honda OEM Oil filters, it'll come with the Drain plug Washer!!!