PDA

View Full Version : Civics and CVT

teek
07-09-2005, 10:24 PM
Has anyone ever heard of a Civic having CVT Constantly Variable Transmission?
As I was looking at a car ad, I noticed it said 1 speed CVT.

How is the CVT, and what's their transmission life like ? Better than a standard auto?

Interesting concept - would like to know more if anyone knows about it, thanks

chameleon
07-09-2005, 10:50 PM
Yes ek1 vti sedan came with cvt. Many people have had problems with them including me. luckly mine was fixed under warrenty as the honda dealer said it was a design fault. other ppl have had to fork out thousands.

_CiVIC_
07-09-2005, 11:10 PM
my old ek vti civic is cvt.. its much smoother than a regular auto i must admit... mum doesn't complain now seeing that she drives it.. and to be honest with you, we have never had a problem with it since we bought it new in February 1999. :)

teek
07-09-2005, 11:13 PM
Thanks Chameleon. Was wondering why this Vti sedan at the dealers hadn't sold yet. It had also done 170,000 Km's ( dealers don't need to supply warranty after 160k in vic)

It looked very nice, but more than likely it was HELL.

CVT sounds nice in theory, but if the fail rate is that high with that design, sounds nasty.

spothe
08-09-2005, 10:15 AM
I got a CVT and its stuffed me up for a month now, it wont go over 60ks!!!

I tried selling it and wont sell, i tried finding a second hand one to replace and im pretty sure a second hand one is just as screwed because CVT are now just well known for STUFFING UP!!!

man, seriously consider doing an engine swap, maybe a b16a with a manual trans, at least i wont have to worry about gearbox stuffing up afterwards, CVT SUCKS CRAP!

btw... jazz uses cvt, can the jazz cvt be equiped into the civic? i tried finding civiv cvt but the demand for it is just soooo high that the price is unreasonable and there is hardly any around.... why on earth did i buy the civic vti!!!!

_CiVIC_
08-09-2005, 10:17 AM
farout... i feel sorry for you guys..... my old 1998 ek vti is going fine, and it is equipped with CVT.. *knocks on wood*

ek
08-09-2005, 11:35 PM
I got a CVT and its stuffed me up for a month now, it wont go over 60ks!!!

I tried selling it and wont sell, i tried finding a second hand one to replace and im pretty sure a second hand one is just as screwed because CVT are now just well known for STUFFING UP!!!

Have you had it checked out by Honda at all? Have they said that it needs to be replaced?

spothe
08-09-2005, 11:36 PM
HAHAHAHA, yeh, took it to honda service

quote is $8000 for the box and $700 for the labour!!!!

screwed...

ek
08-09-2005, 11:44 PM
HAHAHAHA, yeh, took it to honda service
quote is $8000 for the box and $700 for the labour!!!!
screwed...

Sucks to be you. Look at it this way, you shouldnt get any speeding fines.
$8000, you can get yourself another VTI Civic!

Have you enquired around the wreckers? Also, maybe speak to someone who knows their Honda's (Hanny's?) and see if a 4 spd auto will work and be able to be fitted with not too many dramas. Im guessing things like the computer and possibly parts of the wiring harness may need to be changed.

spothe
09-09-2005, 12:27 AM
yep, enquired around, i got a friend mechanic who wanted to change it to a manual for me but then his partner said that to change it i'll need to change the engine too.

ive heard that it is possible to change to manual without swapping engines. changing to a manual is similar to changing to a normal 4sp auto gearbox, only i have to add a clutch and so on, the rewiring has to be done either way.

not many people are willing to do it, so im taking my time finding the best solution.

i have yet to call hanny's, ill see what my friend can do for me first, hanny's is a bit far from me, my car wont be able to make it there without stalling at least 20 times.