PDA

View Full Version : removing suspension

michael_antoi
08-09-2005, 12:24 PM
trying to remove the brake line from the suspension, the front bolt came off fine but the one at the back aint moving.

i had a closer look at it and it looks like a square shaped bolt...?

i've tried my best not to grind the bolt so i dont think i've grinded it to a square...

any tips on getting it off?

paulosportz
08-09-2005, 12:26 PM
you actually have to undo it, tthere is abolt holding it in
and then it should come off!

=]

bennjamin
08-09-2005, 12:29 PM
both the front "bolts" that connect to the shock ( above the fork) are 12mm nuts.
Use a 12mm spanner and a dose of WD40 to loosen it off. REMEMBER....turn counter-clockwise AGAINST THE FACE of the bolt to loosen !

good luck ;)

sesshoumaru
08-09-2005, 12:30 PM
umm the 'square shaped nut' is welded on to the brake line bracket... on the otherside of it you should find a regular bolt (12mm)

egSi
08-09-2005, 12:31 PM
dude that is welded on, the 4 sides nut, u have to reomve the BOLT fromt the other side. its a 12mm get a socket on it and remove :thumbsup:

Zdster
08-09-2005, 12:32 PM
:arrowu: Agreed. One side is welded on.

michael_antoi
08-09-2005, 12:46 PM
thanks guys, i found it a little after posting, but my hands were too greasy to put a reply..

any tips on removing the spring without a compressor

oh and egSi - the springs arrived (obviously) will be leaving positive feedback asap

thanks again mate.

sesshoumaru
08-09-2005, 12:52 PM
okay well really you should use a spring compressor...

there are some ways to do it without one, but nah i'm not gonna recommend them to you...

michael_antoi
08-09-2005, 12:56 PM
i need a hex key also dont i?

no way of doing it without one?

Zdster
08-09-2005, 01:00 PM
Check out this link:
http://internet.cybermesa.com/~drew/civic_suspension.html
might be helpful to you.

bennjamin
08-09-2005, 01:04 PM
i need a hex key also dont i?

no way of doing it without one?

When the shock is out -

you need a 14mm spanner , and a 8mm ( i think) hex key. LAy the shock down on a flat surface , the place the spanner ontot eh top botl, and the hex key into the top of the shaft. hold both spanner + hex key with your hands , and apply pressure towards the ground. This should crack the pressure and then its a matter of hodlign the hex key and then simply turning the top bol aroudn and around until it comes off and thus the top cup
good luck

paulosportz
08-09-2005, 01:07 PM
lol u can removie it wihtout compressors but highly dangerous! specially if u haev stock springs

michael_antoi
08-09-2005, 06:03 PM
after i take the suspension off, remove the spring and put the new one back, can i just reinstall the suspension normally?

a lot of tutorials say to do this:

http://www.hazone.com/images/psi/psi055.jpg

do i need to do this and why?

wynode
08-09-2005, 06:22 PM
Front or rear ?

It depends on how you took the sussy out (there's afew different ways you can do it).

Also you'll find that if you jack both sides up it will make things much easier (otherwise the swaybar, if you have one, puts pressure on the LCA if one side is still on the ground).

type one
08-09-2005, 07:09 PM
its easy to use the jack to hold the arm in place while you jiggle the sussy in... make sure you match the shock up correctly (ie so it faces the right way to match the top bolts (chassis bolts).

I am surprised you got the spring off without using a spring compressor of some type... its a real BITCH...

michael_antoi
08-09-2005, 08:53 PM
nah nah i bought a spring compressor, too scared to try it any other way

michael_antoi
08-09-2005, 09:06 PM
i f ucken cant get the rear bolt off, any tips?

i think if blunted the edges a bit, but not beyond repair....

sesshoumaru
08-09-2005, 09:12 PM
umm which bolt?

michael_antoi
08-09-2005, 09:26 PM
dont really know how to describe it but the bolt on the bottom of the suspension piece...?

i think there's only one which needs removing down there and a few up top

Newcivic
08-09-2005, 09:37 PM
This is the most biggest freestyle DIY job ever

michael_antoi
08-09-2005, 09:42 PM
lol, nah i left it for now, i'll figure it out tomorrow, but just wanted to know if anyone had any troubles with that before.

michael_antoi
08-09-2005, 09:58 PM
Also, do i have to cut the bump stops for king springs super lows?

type one
08-09-2005, 09:59 PM
good tool to have in removing any large sussy bolts is a breaker bar.. takes the hard work out of removing tight bolts...

wynode
09-09-2005, 12:49 AM
Agreed with the breaker bar. I use it to loosen those tight bolts and then use the ratchet after that.

michael_antoi you need to be more descriptive in regards to where you are having trouble. If you are in Syd can give you a hand......shoot me a PM

egSi
09-09-2005, 08:02 AM
thanks guys, i found it a little after posting, but my hands were too greasy to put a reply..

any tips on removing the spring without a compressor

oh and egSi - the springs arrived (obviously) will be leaving positive feedback asap

thanks again mate.
no worries man.

i have do it many times with out a spring compressor. best to lay it on the ground, with teh top hat facing away from anybody/anything, maybe at a brick wall or something. hold the allen key in the shock with like a block of wood and slowly undo the nut with an open ender, when it get near the end, like a couple of threads away, look away and turn it till it pops off.

spring compressors r crap and i try and avoid em as much as possible, thank god we have a hydraulic press at work.

wheres my damn point mike! :p

wynode
09-09-2005, 11:21 AM
spring compressors r crap and i try and avoid em as much as possible

You're kidding right? If captain safety saw you say that he'd have a heart attack! :thumbdwn::thumbdwn:

type one
09-09-2005, 11:37 AM
agreed... need a compressor even if they are crap.

egSi
09-09-2005, 11:56 AM
lol u guys r pussys, didnt use em last week and i still have all my shit intact :p

nice sig win

bennjamin
09-09-2005, 12:22 PM
lol u guys r pussys, didnt use em last week and i still have all my shit intact :p

nice sig win

Isnt thats because you are dealing with your own lowered springs ? ;)

ANYTHING that is lower than stock or not-captive dosent need compressors to take the top cup off - BUT compressors are 110% recommended for any OEM removal/installation :)

michael_antoi
09-09-2005, 01:17 PM
^^ def. agree with that, they even sprung open abit with the compressor on.

but if u know what ur doing and u've done it without one before then i dont see a problem

bennjamin
09-09-2005, 03:00 PM
yup - more so a public warning to all ! Be safe guys :)

Im moving this to the suspension arena for any more talk that comes up :)

civlowwer
09-09-2005, 04:07 PM
if u don’t wanna buy a spring compressor use a old towel and put the towel down and then the shock at the top half of the towel, pull the other half of the towel to the top of the shock so the whole shock is covered but the top of the shock, stand on the spring (with SHOES) and then undo the bolt off the top of the shock and the shock will spring into the towel. Leaving the spring and the top cup off. Maybe doggy but it’s the quickest way with out having as much danger as egSI way.

and with that bolt I think I know which one ur are going on about, I had to replace mine which was about $28 from Honda, couldn't get it from anywhere else. but use some INOX and leave for 20mins and try and crack it with a breaker bar, if not heat it up with a heat gun or something like that and then let it cool, this normally breaks up the rust on the bolt and then try the breaker bar again. if not take it to ur local suspension shop and get them to take it off, most might give it to u for free, if not it will be like $20 or so. If the bolt is f*#ked u need to replace it with a new one, safety first when it come to suspension.

cheers

lerroy
09-09-2005, 04:27 PM
if u dont wanna buy a spring compress use a old towel and put the towle down and then the shock at the top half of the towel, pull the other half of the towel to the top of the shock so the whole shock is covered but the top of the shock, stand on the spring (with SHOES) and then undo the bolt off the top of the shock and the shock will spring into the towel. leaving the spring and the top cup off. maybe doggy but its the quickest way with out having as much danager as egSI way.

and with that bolt i think i know which one ur are going on about, i had to replace mine which was about $28 from honda, couldn't get it from anywhere else. but use some INOX and leave for 20mins and try and crack it with a breaker bar, if not heat it up with a heat gun or something like that and then let it cool, this normally breaks up the corsin on the bolt and then try the breaker bar again. if not take it to ur local suspension shop and get them o take it off, most might give it to u, if not it will be like $20 or so. if the bolt is screw u need to replace it with a new one, safety first when it come to suspension.

im sorry im finding it REALLY hard to read your post with that Avatar there should be a warning ahahahha :P

civlowwer
09-09-2005, 04:46 PM
im sorry im finding it REALLY hard to read your post with that Avatar there should be a warning ahahahha :P

sorry mate, really tired atm, i think i fixed it. meh :)