Got a New Accord Euro - ripped out the audio gear from the previous ride
here's a list of the components.

Alpine 7998R - 1.5Din Fantom Face
Boston Pro 5.5 Splits
Alpine 6x9s
MTX 4 Channel Amp
MTX 2 Channel Amp
MTX 12" Sub

Basically my problem is that I want to keep the install as factory looking as possible. Looking at the factory headunit it looks likes it's all combined in with the aircon and stuff so doesn't look like i'll be removing that.

So i though about putting the Alpine HU in the compartment underneath
and using all the factory positions for speakers, sub and amps in the trunk.

I've thought about not using the Alpine HU and using the Factory head unit with RCA convertors ( or does the Factory one have RCAs already??) but after spending like 1700 bucks on the thing i don't want to put it to waste.

ANY SUGGESTIONS Plz help!!!!

Fhrx
25-02-2004, 11:24 AM
Niec deck that - would be a shame to lose it. Very tough call that one.

Mind you, if you sold the system complete you could get quite a nice sounding system that would run off the factory head unit. :)

Something like:

Factory headunit
Boston Pro6.5
Zapco 350
Zapco 500M
Boston Pro12.5LF

Just a though but a tough decision on your behalf... :(

bigbuddha
25-02-2004, 12:13 PM
Yeah .. the Factory Vs Alpine HU is killing me ..

Zapco - i've never heard of that brand and I thgouh i was pretty well versed on car audio brands .. are they good?

euro77
25-02-2004, 12:28 PM
Well, I guess since I've done up my audio in my euro, I might as well share with you what I've done. Well, I didn't do it myself, I got a professional audio installer did it for me.

Basically I've replaced the front split with Focal 165K2P. I'm not too sure if the mounting depth is a problem or not, but they put MDF spacer so it helps with the mounting depth and the size (stock is 6"). Also, the stock tweeter mounting location is so small compared to the focal tweeter, so they can't angle the mount without having to modify the dashboard. The tweeter is faced upward and the sound is bounced to the front windscreen (if that makes sense... I don't quite believe if you can actually bounce sound to the windscreen).

I use the factory unit, and since my 2 amps (Audison SRx2s) have speaker line in, I don't have to use any RCA converter. However, engine noise is a bit of an issue, caused by the factory head unit. So if you want no engine noise, you have to use after market HU.

The sub (12" RF HE2 Punch) is just installed in the boot, firing forwards into the cabin.

Mind you that it could be quite hard to mount the hu in the middle compartment without having to take off the cover, but I believe it is do-able. The audio installer assures me he can, but I'm not convinced yet until I actually really do it. Because other euro owners cannot keep the cover.

Zapco is a great amp from what I've heard. They are high quality brand.

Oh, on top of all that, don't forget some sound deadening, at least the doors. I got some focal pads on the doors.

bigbuddha
25-02-2004, 01:48 PM
Engine noise hey .. yeah my friend who has a citroen had the same problem when he hooked up an amp and speakers to his factory unit as well .. but he got some noise shield thingy that stoppedit dead pretty good it was only $15 at supercheap.

Thanks for your post Euro77

Hmm many things to consider

Fhrx
25-02-2004, 02:15 PM
Zapco make some of the best amplifiers in the industry. I use them myself (which is saying something due to the sheer amount of amps I am priveleged to test) and I stand by them for anyone else.

They're also one of the few amplifiers that are still actually MADE in the USA. ;)

bigdongers
25-02-2004, 06:08 PM
I was looking into this for a friend who drives a Euro and it is not possible to fit the HU in the bottom cubby hole with lid without changing that hole to a the factory MP3 mount kit. the hole is not deep enough to fit a HU with wiring.

bigbuddha
25-02-2004, 06:18 PM
I was looking into this for a friend who drives a Euro and it is not possible to fit the HU in the bottom cubby hole with lid without changing that hole to a the factory MP3 mount kit. the hole is not deep enough to fit a HU with wiring.Thanks Bigdonger that's abit of good info for future reference

toE
25-02-2004, 11:59 PM
i beg to differ about placing an aftermarket hu in the location mentioned.

There was a Euro at AutoSalon with the rego "KUCING", a member of Team Wolf. Anyways, he had a Pioneer DEX-P9 and DEQ-P9 palced below the OEM center dash.

Go to www.autoshow.permaisuri.com and see if you find some pictures of the car. I can't remember if the owner posted pics of what he has done, but I swear I remember seeing it at AutoSalon.

AND....if I'm not mistaken, he had his install done at Gary's Car Audio - i think - here in Melbourne...the shop on the same block as Autobarn in the city and next door to CashConvertors.

bigdongers
26-02-2004, 01:46 AM
here is a pic of KUCHING's euro and screen placement.

http://www.clubtsx.com/bbs/attachment.php?attachmentid=2338

as you can see, he has removed the lid. in fact I asked him and the whole bin had to come out and was replaced by the mp3 player mounting kit.

euro77
26-02-2004, 06:25 AM
Yeah, that's why every other euro owner I've met who had put an aftermarket HU in the middle bin says the lid has to go.

bigbuddha
26-02-2004, 08:51 AM
Hmm .. never been a fan of fold out TV screens ... I think that picture just confirmed my feelings

Euro2005
04-03-2005, 01:46 PM
Well, I guess since I've done up my audio in my euro, I might as well share with you what I've done. Well, I didn't do it myself, I got a professional audio installer did it for me.

Basically I've replaced the front split with Focal 165K2P. I'm not too sure if the mounting depth is a problem or not, but they put MDF spacer so it helps with the mounting depth and the size (stock is 6"). Also, the stock tweeter mounting location is so small compared to the focal tweeter, so they can't angle the mount without having to modify the dashboard. The tweeter is faced upward and the sound is bounced to the front windscreen (if that makes sense... I don't quite believe if you can actually bounce sound to the windscreen).

I use the factory unit, and since my 2 amps (Audison SRx2s) have speaker line in, I don't have to use any RCA converter. However, engine noise is a bit of an issue, caused by the factory head unit. So if you want no engine noise, you have to use after market HU.

The sub (12" RF HE2 Punch) is just installed in the boot, firing forwards into the cabin.

Mind you that it could be quite hard to mount the hu in the middle compartment without having to take off the cover, but I believe it is do-able. The audio installer assures me he can, but I'm not convinced yet until I actually really do it. Because other euro owners cannot keep the cover.

Zapco is a great amp from what I've heard. They are high quality brand.

Oh, on top of all that, don't forget some sound deadening, at least the doors. I got some focal pads on the doors.

Hello,
would you mind telling me what the whole deal cost you?

micatech
23-04-2005, 05:37 PM
here is a pic of KUCHING's euro and screen placement.

http://www.clubtsx.com/bbs/attachment.php?attachmentid=2338

as you can see, he has removed the lid. in fact I asked him and the whole bin had to come out and was replaced by the mp3 player mounting kit.
hey can you send me the pic of his (Kuchings) install. I cant seem to see it in the forum.

Many thanks