PDA

View Full Version : How strong is DC2R's gearbox?

xtercii
10-09-2005, 11:28 AM
Hello guys, as the title suggests, I am keen to know how strong and durable is dc2r’s gearbox. I am ruling out the cars that have been turbo charged, just the NA ones. I know driving style has got a lot to do with the life of the gearbox but I am talking about in a general picture.

And I always hear people say how precise is itr’s gearbox but hardly anyone mentions the reliability of it. So yeah any info would be greatly appreciated.

V-techWhore
10-09-2005, 11:31 AM
Its strong, but not too strong.

tRipitaka
10-09-2005, 11:34 AM
wdf ?

xtercii
10-09-2005, 11:35 AM
I knew couple of guys who couldn’t engage into any of the gears after couple of drag racings and the car was almost brand new back then

HRV-80Y
10-09-2005, 11:59 AM
a gearbox is a strong as it wants 2 b aslong as u treat it good...

minimal gear crunching flat shiftin etc etc...and also wen transmission oil is changed regularly

10KRPM
10-09-2005, 12:10 PM
I think it is quite strong.

But it is also dependent on what type of clutch you use and how its been used.

I recently had my gear box taken out and looked at because i felt it wasnt what it should be...needless to say it was almost a waste of money because everything was still good and all that was done was a change of oil to redline. Im the 2nd owner of the car and the first owner was an avid track driver. So considering what its been used for i would have to say they appear to be quite durable. I should also add that i have a triple puck heavy duty exxdy clutch as well.

ACTI0NMAN-1
10-09-2005, 12:12 PM
I knew couple of guys who couldn’t engage into any of the gears after couple of drag racings and the car was almost brand new back then

The box isnt designed for drag racing, its made for basic everyday driving durability, they can easily last over 300,000ks as long as you use sensible clutch/gear engagement.

xtercii
10-09-2005, 12:34 PM
a gearbox is a strong as it wants 2 b aslong as u treat it good...

minimal gear crunching flat shiftin etc etc...and also wen transmission oil is changed regularly

Yeah I know that, but still there are strength differences b/w different gearboxes, for example sti's gearbox is stronger than a normal wrx's gearbox, so it can withstand more thrashing and abusing.

wynode
10-09-2005, 12:43 PM
Hello guys, as the title suggests, I am keen to know how strong and durable is dc2r’s gearbox. I am ruling out the cars that have been turbo charged, just the NA ones. I know driving style has got a lot to do with the life of the gearbox but I am talking about in a general picture.

And I always hear people say how precise is itr’s gearbox but hardly anyone mentions the reliability of it. So yeah any info would be greatly appreciated.
Like everyone has said........its only as good as you treat it.

What's the reasoning behind the question? Maybe then we can give you a better answer

VTECACCORD
10-09-2005, 01:32 PM
were you planning on abusing the next car you get ?

If yes then id say go buy something other than an R, there not meant to be destroyed.

Otherwise the type R gearbox is prone to the normal wear items, mainly syncros. but the R gearbox is good for at least 300 wheel horse

xtercii
10-09-2005, 02:57 PM
Nah I am a person with mechanical sympathy, i don't like abuse cars.
There is no particular reason behind this question, i am just doing a bit of research for my next project, as moving from a 200sx to an ek leaves me some $ to play with. So i just wanna gather as much info as possible b4 i start. Thanks for all the replies.

pgclee
11-09-2005, 02:25 AM
as long you don't drop from 5th gear while you're going 180km/h, then u drop it to 2nd gear by forcing it to engage in, you will be fine...no one can promise you how strong a gearbox is...you can see how F1 has which they have the best technology gadget but still, so much gearbox break down...

_CiVIC_
11-09-2005, 09:38 AM
I heard supra gearboxes are strong.. bulletproof apparently..

Jomsy
11-09-2005, 02:42 PM
i think you should ask the question, how many people have broken a type r gearbox, instead of whats its reliability like, i dont imagine anyone can say yes to that question without a valid reason like shifting 5th to 1st etc...

xtercii
11-09-2005, 05:20 PM
yeah you are right, so has anyone ever broken a type r gearbox or need it to be rebuilt?

thanh
11-09-2005, 06:32 PM
not many cars can do 11secs with a stock gear box but a ITR can!

Thats what i heard

kenshin
11-09-2005, 06:44 PM

lol...
like saying the rope is long... but not too long.

doesnt say much does it?

wynode
11-09-2005, 11:14 PM
yeah you are right, so has anyone ever broken a type r gearbox or need it to be rebuilt?
How's about telling us the purpose of this thread?

00dc2
12-09-2005, 01:41 AM
i think he wants to know the max power that the gearbox is known to handle without causing problems..

i have no idea what the answer is.. you dont hear bout lots of massive power turbo'd dc2r's much.. but you do hear about 10,000rpm toda cams pistons dc2r's and they never need new gearboxes.. so as long as your not a d!ckhead with a really heavy clutch and your not turboing it with lots of boost you should be ok..

**Ghost**
12-09-2005, 01:57 AM
when a car hits 300,000KM, how much does it cost to rebuild a gearbox and wot would it invovle|

Integra
12-09-2005, 02:45 AM
Just a quick question, Would a ITR gearbox fit in a VTiR Integra?

xtercii
12-09-2005, 08:28 AM

Ok after sitting in a mate’s civic with itr running gear, I am totally hooked and I wanna do the same. When it’s done the car will be driven hard, possibly tracked and raced. I know the gearbox is definitely not bad cos all Hondas are well engineered, however I still wanna know how well it holds up when given a hard task. Cheers.

poweredbyhonda
12-09-2005, 01:01 PM
Why are you ruling out turbo chraged? I have no issues with my ITR box and it cops more power than any other rice boy N/A car would get. Daily driven and no problems what so ever. Been on the dyno plenty of times and has been taken to the drag strip. They are strong, very strong. I don't know anyone strengthening their ITR box.

xtercii
12-09-2005, 01:21 PM
I am ruling out turbo because if I ever do my conversion, there is no way I will turbo charge it. But as you said if a turbo type r can hold it well, then na should have even less trouble.

Dxs
12-09-2005, 01:32 PM

Well obviously from the title he is trying to work out the general strength characteristics of the dc2r gearbox..
Generally gearboxes get a reputation,
ie supra is strong as, s13 gearboxes are strong too compared to say s15, my98 wrx gearboxes are piss weak etc etc.

Obviously he is trying to get info about the dc2r's, and i see it as a very valid question.. but it seems no one has a clue as of yet.

Maybe it would be good if people mentioned if they are getting high power figures with this box and how it is holding up or even if they attend regular track days or drags and how it is fairing.

Da1nONLY
12-09-2005, 01:42 PM
they are very strong
so far have no problems with it.
reliable.....

Dxs
12-09-2005, 01:52 PM
ok cool..
so how much power are you running da1nonly? Stock/near stock?
How do you drive, just a mild daily driver with the occasional high rpm shift?
etc etc :p

wynode
12-09-2005, 04:36 PM
Well obviously from the title he is trying to work out the general strength characteristics of the dc2r gearbox..
Generally gearboxes get a reputation,
ie supra is strong as, s13 gearboxes are strong too compared to say s15, my98 wrx gearboxes are piss weak etc etc.

Obviously he is trying to get info about the dc2r's, and i see it as a very valid question.. but it seems no one has a clue as of yet.

Maybe it would be good if people mentioned if they are getting high power figures with this box and how it is holding up or even if they attend regular track days or drags and how it is fairing.
Well put it this way.......how many threads do you see with people having issues with blown ITR gearboxes? Sure you'll get the occasionaly few with worn synchros which is normal........but given there are turbo cars running around with stock boxes (even the online CRX ran a stock prelude box), it all depends on how you treat it.

The weakest item for the b-series gearbox i would say is probably the input shaft bearing as that takes most of the shock/stress. Apart from that, the gearbox and diff are pretty strong.

Just for the street, occasional track and drag use there shouldn't be any problems for a mildly tuned NA motor.

xtercii
12-09-2005, 06:58 PM
People don't have blown itr's gearbox could partly becos most people don't drag their itrs, they are usually driven hard on the street or the track, so a worn gearbox is more likely to happen.

either way it sounds like itr's gearbox is pretty strong.