PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Flashing "D" light!

wushuboi
11-09-2005, 11:54 AM
Hi guys,

My car is a early 95 Accord Vti.

After about 5 minutes of driving, my drive indicator light "D" starts flashing.

Here's a brief history of the car:
- Car working perfectly fine
- Friend installed head unit and burnt the loom
- Speedo & tacho not working; "D" light flashing
- Autlec in Mulgrave took ages to fix speedo n tacho, but couldn't fix "D" light

Has anyone else had this problem or know how to fix it?
OR does anyone know how to disable the "D" led behind the dash?
OR can anyone recommend a good Honda mechanic in SE Melbourne?

Trynna sell the car but it's hard to sell when people see the "D" light flashing!

Thanks guys

aaronng
11-09-2005, 12:58 PM
I've seen this in my dad's car. There was a problem with the wiring in the instrument panel. It had corroded and contact was terrible. In his car, the speedo would be at the actual speed, and then jump up to 200km/h and down, up an down and then it stopped at 0km/h with the D light flashing. He fixed it himself, so I think you can get it fixed at Hanny's for cheap.

wushuboi
11-09-2005, 01:45 PM
mad, where abouts is Hanny's?

do u think there's a possibility that it's detected a problem with the transmission and so starts flashing?

aaronng
11-09-2005, 02:26 PM
Nah, my dad's Accord had his auto transmission totally f**k up by losing 2nd gear and there was no error code from the dash lights.

Are you in Sydney or elsewhere?
Sydney:
Hanny's Performance
Unit 3 , 28 Victoria St Smithfield
02-97255115

If in Melb, then CRS Automotive was raved upon by the S2k forums.
Not sure of the exact address, but it's at Patterson Lakes.
03-97761505

wushuboi
11-09-2005, 03:31 PM
oh okay
coz mine's auto as well, and the tranny feels kinda fked.
sometimes when u come out of a corner it won't pick up the gear until a second after u step on it.
also shudders like it's gonna stall sometimes when u change from D to R.

i'll check out this CRS place.
see if they can tune it up so i can at least sell the damn thing.

already bought a 94 skyline gts-t! hehee

thanks for ur help aaronng.

anyone else have ideas or suggest a place?

JaMeSz007
11-09-2005, 07:33 PM
could be a faulty VSS.

do you have any fault codes in your PGMFI ECU

aaronng
11-09-2005, 09:18 PM
The 1 second lag happens if the clutch pack is wearing out. The shudder when reversing also happens, but the Accord is a '91 with the auto box refurbed (and died within 3 months). Now its running a JDM Accord autobox from a halfcut and its fine for over 3 years.

Hope that yours will be fixed soon.

coladuna
11-09-2005, 11:19 PM
could be a faulty VSS.

do you have any fault codes in your PGMFI ECU

Agre with the above.
I had the same with my Prelude a long time ago.
It happened to be the vehicle speed sensor.

wushuboi
12-09-2005, 09:48 AM
Is a VSS expensive to replace or fix?

Where and how do i find fault codes in my "PGMFI ECU"?

I'll end up taking it to CRS Automotive in a few weeks anyway to get it fixed up for sale.

coladuna
12-09-2005, 09:58 AM
Is a VSS expensive to replace or fix?

Where and how do i find fault codes in my "PGMFI ECU"?

I'll end up taking it to CRS Automotive in a few weeks anyway to get it fixed up for sale.

From memory, it wasn't that expensive.
It was either around 300 bucks or 500. Can't remember as it's been too long.

aaronng
12-09-2005, 10:19 AM
Does the speedo work for a short while and then crap out and flash D? or does the tacho not move at all and the D flashes after a short while?

wushuboi
12-09-2005, 12:24 PM
wth...300-500?! that's expensive! i'm still hoping it could just be a wiring thing...

nar the speedo and tacho work fine. the D just flashes after about 5 mins of driving.

aaronng
12-09-2005, 12:34 PM
Just contacted my dad. He said he did replace the VSS. So I was wrong in my replies.

He also said that it was easy to self-replace. It's below the distributor on the transmission casing. He did have the Haynes repair manual with him though.

wushuboi
13-09-2005, 12:47 PM
hrm, it may be easy to self replace, but where do i get one from?
plus i'm not that great with cars...so going under it and identifying the right parts could be a problem too.

oh well i think i'll just have to shell out for it...bah!

ECU-MAN
13-09-2005, 08:51 PM
before you replace anything,you should do tests to prove its the problem, Dont just replace parts.

9 times out of 10 if you have VSS codein PGMFI ecu and AT ecu then its the sensor.

coladuna
13-09-2005, 09:41 PM
wth...300-500?! that's expensive! i'm still hoping it could just be a wiring thing...

nar the speedo and tacho work fine. the D just flashes after about 5 mins of driving.

If my previous experience is anything to go by, the speedo will not work intermittently. Mine used to work sometimes and then just die all of a sudden and then come back again. Still had to be replaced.

aaronng
13-09-2005, 11:22 PM
hrm, it may be easy to self replace, but where do i get one from?
plus i'm not that great with cars...so going under it and identifying the right parts could be a problem too.

oh well i think i'll just have to shell out for it...bah!
Why don't you give a call to CRS Automotive, let them know that you think your VSS is faulty and ask how much would it be for them to change it. if you are happy with the price, then ask them how much do they charge to diagnose it.