PDA

View Full Version : Getting more power from the S2000

wynode
23-08-2003, 02:45 PM
This has been out for awhile but with 3 rather simple mods, an increase of upto 27 percent can be made on the already powerful little 2L.

Mod 1
Replace the existing mufflers with "Two 2˝-inch Magnaflow mufflers" and a cat back replacement between the mufflers and the cat. This allowed an increase of 14 percent. Its where most S2000 owners start modding because of the easy gains.

Mod 2
Hook up a MoTeC M4 programmable ECU to work in unison with the Honda ECU. They found the Honda running quite rich at high RPM so by leaning it out, playing with the timing and changing the VTEC changeover (slightly) gave another 8 percent.

Mod 3
Keep the factory airbox/filter and have a cold air duct guiding in fresh air to the bottom of the box.

Overall there was a gain of around 27 percent. Just changing the mufflers themselves give incredible gains!
Honda would have deliberately chosen to run rich at high RPMs to make sure the car gets through the warranty period. I wouldn't be surprised if they improve on the mufflers for the S2200.

(Article sourced from Autospeed (http://www.autospeed.com.au/cms/article.html?&A=0911))

TODA AU
01-09-2003, 10:18 AM
Honestly 27% is a little bit optimistic.
Having fit both Motecs & aftermarket exhaust systems to S2K's,
I can tell you honestly that the exhaust alone is really only worth 5~6hp at the wheels... (Not that incredible)
Plus the real gain is only across the top-end of the revs.
There are gains to be had with the Motec, but mainly in the mid-range & low end.
Best results come from I/H/E + a cam change.
Unfortunately this car doesn't lend its self to many performance parts that are cheap & actually work.
The best bang for your bucks’ modification is a lightweight flywheel.

If you're interested,
The performance parts currently available from TODA Racing to suit the S2000 include the following...
2.2L stroker kits – Pistons, rods & crank. (For both NA & Turbo)
Spec A2 & Spec B Vtec killer camshafts, up-rated valve springs, vernier adjustable cam sprockets, Sports injection kit, Toda header etc...
Competition headwork is also available on request...

K20AR
01-09-2003, 03:46 PM
ah the glorified F20C...

i would have to agree with adrian on this one...since the F20 camshafts are using high lift and duration already...

I would go FI or upgrade the cams with internal work and a MOTEC...

cheers

BMTDC2
09-09-2003, 02:07 AM
Honestly 27% is a little bit optimistic.
Having fit both Motecs & aftermarket exhaust systems to S2K's,
I can tell you honestly that the exhaust alone is really only worth 5~6hp at the wheels... (Not that incredible)
Plus the real gain is only across the top-end of the revs.
There are gains to be had with the Motec, but mainly in the mid-range & low end.
Best results come from I/H/E + a cam change.
Unfortunately this car doesn't lend its self to many performance parts that are cheap & actually work.
The best bang for your bucks’ modification is a lightweight flywheel.

If you're interested,
The performance parts currently available from TODA Racing to suit the S2000 include the following...
2.2L stroker kits – Pistons, rods & crank. (For both NA & Turbo)
Spec A2 & Spec B Vtec killer camshafts, up-rated valve springs, vernier adjustable cam sprockets, Sports injection kit, Toda header etc...
Competition headwork is also available on request...

Quad Throttle or ITB would be something Id be looking forward to seeing on S2000's

INFLYT
10-09-2003, 08:09 PM
I wish someone came out with information like that about all the Honda range.

TODA AU
17-09-2003, 08:45 PM
Can if you like...

AP1 F20c
18-09-2003, 08:33 AM
If you want extensive information on what S2000s can do and cannot do, what sorta power you can expect, etc ... Visit the S2000 International boards, they have the best archive/active stats - http://www.s2ki.com/