PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust Note EPA YAY

Ironfist
12-09-2005, 05:25 PM
I've had my muffler on the car for 2.5 years, been pulled over by the cops to check my car our, even been asked to park my car and had a full inspection when at a booze bus stop off and they have never had a problem with the noise.
Now recently (today) i just recieved a letter for EPA that some cop "heard" my car and decided to just give one out, maybe cos his women wasn't giving him some loving.... i donno... this is BS.

Thing that peevs me off is i have to pay $34 to get it tested, even if it's at a legal dB or not.

So the technical side (cos this in the tech section). Is there a cheap way to temporarily silence the muffler?

Or will some kind sole who owns a dc2 lend me the end of their muffler for just for one day.

Or another tech question. will a 2000 model gsi muffler bolt straight onto a 1994 vtir muffler?

bennjamin
12-09-2005, 05:32 PM
remember that ANY fines that a police officer can give you - it is always at the discretion of the individual. So , count yourself lucky for the last 2.5 years you havent been caught :)

aimre
12-09-2005, 07:07 PM
it might not have been a cop,

someone rang up bout me... i got the letter. But tuffy mufflers checked mine for free.

i then found out who rang and made some complaints to the EPA bout how his car was blowing "heaps" of black smoke

vividjazz
12-09-2005, 08:16 PM
Yeah, more likely someone dobbed you in.

I know on motorbikes you can put a spud in the end of the exhaust to reduce the noise. A spud is not a real potatoe but just an end piece. Staintuned supply them with all their bike exhausts.

mini_s2000
12-09-2005, 08:22 PM
it's probably best to buy a standard dc2 muffler, then you have a spare so that if you ever get caught agian... you can change back!