PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Briscoe Crash?

LUD02C
12-09-2005, 08:19 PM
Anyone see it?
It was so bad, he got broken ribs, bruised lungs and a concussion.
I'll try and find a video.
So happy he is alright.

JDM.Power
12-09-2005, 08:21 PM
that guy always crashes!!
i remember not long ago..he got pole an crashed out later during the race!

LUD02C
12-09-2005, 08:22 PM
AUSTRALIAN rookie Ryan Briscoe was taken to hospital after from a fiery crash at the Chicagoland Indy 300 today (AEST).

Bruiscoe's car went airborne and slammed into a retaining fence.

Doctors said Briscoe was awake and alert before being transported by helicopter from the Chicagoland Speedway 2.4km oval.

Japan's Kosuke Matsuura and American Alex Barron were also involved in the incident but escaped unharmed.

Briscoe was attempting to pass Barron between the third and fourth turns when his car's right front tyre touched Barron's left front tyre at speeds near 345k/ph.
The Aussie's car then flipped into the air and slammed rear-first into a guardrail fence above the concrete walls around the track.

The driver cockpit remained intact although the engine separated from the car.

LUD02C
12-09-2005, 08:24 PM
Ryan Briscoe survived one of the most spectacular crashes in recent IndyCar history with just a bruised lung, a concussion and a broken clavicle.

Already having a bad weekend in what has been a disastrous season, Briscoe was trying to come from the back of the field due to his qualifying run was disallowed for a rules infraction.

Then on lap 20 at the Chicagoland Speedway, he would ride out a crash somewhat reminiscent of Kenny Brack's 2003 accident at Texas Motor Speedway. Running in the middle of the track while attempting to pass Alex Barron who was already in the high line, Briscoe's car ran over Barron's left front wheel with the wheel to wheel contact sending the nose of his Ganassi Panoz into the sky and towards the turn three catch fence. Just as the rear wing of the now vertical car touched the ground, the bottom and left front side of the car made contact with the steel cable reinforced fencing.

The force of the impact tore the “tub” from the rest of the car as a fireball exploded around Briscoe and Barron who at this time was against the wall and sliding underneath his competitor.

By the time everything would come to rest, the engine, rear end, tires, and tub would all be separated from each other. Briscoe's Toyota powerplant lay smoldering on the track with the entire intake assembly missing along with part of one cylinder head.

var time=new Date();var ordval=(time.getTime());document.write('');http://irl.logpub.chrono.fr/pub/tag_irl_news200/en/pvues/vide.gif?1126520617437 “I just felt a thump from the left rear of my car,” said Barron. “Ryan was up over me, he was upside down and there was a lot of fire. It was a quick thud then the next thing you know we were in the wall.”

Barron was not injured in the accident nor was Kosuke Matsuura who was collected in the melee.

Initial television pictures showed some movement in what was left of the cockpit of Briscoe's car as the first medical help arrived.

Following the race, Dan Wheldon, winner of the event saw photos of the crash in the media center and said. “It's not nice to see that.” When driving by the scene on the track he recalled, “To tell you the truth it looked very, very bad. He's Australian, so he's built tough, I know that much. It's tough, it's not nice to think about to tell you the truth. But I think a lot of us will certainly stop by and see if we can see him later on this evening.”

The crash ripped a small portion of the catch fencing away, bent a support pole and required a 17 minute red flag to repair.

Other driver's also expressed their concern for the fast but accident prone Briscoe.

“That was a big accident,” said Danica Patrick, recently taken out of the Infineon race by a Briscoe driving error. “As I knew we were going to go red, I had concern for Ryan Briscoe and the drivers in the incident. I had seen his car. All I was doing was hoping and praying he was okay. No matter what's happened in the last couple races with him and I, gosh, I wish nothing bad on him.”

“That was a horrible accident. There was an engine here, a wheel there, a cockpit there. I'm going to give credit to the team and to the series and everything that goes into making this safe because we are racing fast.”

Helio Castroneves agreed with Danica. “I was just wishing my prayers that hopefully nothing happened.”

It appears that indeed Briscoe will suffer no long term injuries from an accident that now looks much worse that its result, but it remains to be seen if he will be able to return to the cockpit in 2005.

Vivski
12-09-2005, 08:45 PM
Wow, now that's a big crash. Amazing how far racing car safety has come.
Glad he's okay. He's a very talented young driver.

LUD02C
12-09-2005, 08:49 PM
Video is here:
http://www.indyracingleague.com/multimedia/video.php

Click on highlights from: Peak Antifreeze Indy 300
Its bad people.

^^v
12-09-2005, 09:12 PM
man that looks horrific...
glad to hear the dudes okay...:thumbsup: