PDA

View Full Version : Honda red key cheat, good or bad idea?

CONAN
12-09-2005, 09:38 PM
As I don't have the red key for my civic, I can't make any key cuts.

So I enquired around, and someone suggested I take the immobiliser chip out of my original honda key and glue it somewhere close to my ignition barrel.

And every key I cut would work because the little circuit chip is detected by the ignition barrel all the time..

Is this a true statement? Would you recommend this process? :thumbdwn: or :thumbsup:

(keep in mind replacement a honda immobiliser/key system would be around $1k)

DomenEK
12-09-2005, 09:42 PM
You could do that.....And make it easier for theives. Or you could save up the $1k.....

$1k vs however much your car is worth...I know what I'd be going for.

mrwillz
12-09-2005, 09:54 PM
jus get a copy of ur key. u can, even wif out the red.
other thread bro in the civic/crx

CONAN
12-09-2005, 10:01 PM
I think it would be a good idea if insurance wasnt a factor

thanks mrwilz ill have a read now.

Has anybody done this yet?

ECU-MAN
12-09-2005, 10:34 PM
iv seen people do it, it does work.
but you are deliberately disabling an anti theft device. you insurance could void your policy if they found out.

totaly up to you if you do it or not, but it is posible

Duesta
12-09-2005, 11:22 PM
you might want to look into getting your keys cut and then installing an aftermarket immobiliser system in your car?

even tho the best ones are always the factory ones, but given your situation, its another option to consider.

btw, why do you want a new key cut anyway?

**Ghost**
12-09-2005, 11:26 PM
i think u can remove ur immobiliser OEM system COMPLETELY (rather than "hack" it) and then install brand new, totally independent security system

thats prolly the best way

EG5[KRT]
13-09-2005, 12:45 AM
well to my knowledge u can get a key cut at ur local honda dealer and they code it up for u.even though ur car doesnt have a remote the code is still in the car.so u can go hey honda get me a new key to my car with a remote
u pay them $$$ and they do it.

it doesnt cost $1k...
then u have 2 keys.one with remote and one without...

comprendey ??? or i could b wrong ....

Catcha
13-09-2005, 01:26 AM
Maybe with the new models yes as when i brought my car i had no red key 2004 honda jazz. I use to work in used cars and sold a honda CRV 1998 there abouts, the owner wanted another key cut, did not have red key...only solution with i rang every lock smith in my area and even honda. was to rip out the existing imobliser and install a new one........there was no way in the world they could encode additional key without the red key......basically you lose it your screwed.

stormridah
13-09-2005, 01:38 AM
i got my 98 integra key cut at perfect locksmiths in cabra
didnt need the red key they some machine that can decode it
cost me 85 bucks

Catcha
13-09-2005, 01:46 AM
well been a while since i have encounted that problem changing technology i guess...well thats good cause i'm sure there is alway going to be one person misplacing that red key :)

itr224
13-09-2005, 08:54 AM
can you by an immobiliser by pass kit? i heard they selll these for ppl who want to hook up remote start on their car alarms (correct me if i'm wrong)

and then you could go install an aftermarket immobiliser.

CONAN
13-09-2005, 05:00 PM
i got my 98 integra key cut at perfect locksmiths in cabra
didnt need the red key they some machine that can decode it
cost me 85 bucks

Where is Cabra??

Didn't know someone in cab could perform such thing :D

HyperZ
13-09-2005, 05:41 PM
It definitely works... tried it before when my key was falling apart...but any 3 dollar cut key will always work so be careful...

ECU-MAN
13-09-2005, 09:09 PM
']well to my knowledge u can get a key cut at ur local honda dealer and they code it up for u.even though ur car doesnt have a remote the code is still in the car.so u can go hey honda get me a new key to my car with a remote u pay them $$$ and they do it. it doesnt cost $1k... then u have 2 keys.one with remote and one without... comprendey ??? or i could b wrong ....

on a red key immobilser system you cannot add a genuine black key with out the red key, thats it. no way around it with out replacing stuff.

however you can copy your black key if you have 1 black key left. also tyhe immobilser can be disables.( you dont need to remove the eniter imoobiliser )