PDA

View Full Version : What Mods First?

kris_
12-09-2005, 09:50 PM
hey guys,
I have just purchased a stock standard EK4 Vtir, now firstly ill be doin some cosmetic and suspension mods such as 16s, Semi-Slicks, JDM lip, coil-overs and a few other small things.

However im a bit stuck with the engine.... my previous car was a 200KW GTST which was easy to mod, bolt on a FMIC, turbo etc but NA is different.

So what sortas mods would give the greatest power, i want to keep the car quite and practical.

I was thinking of a Apexi VAFC or SAFC, then followed by an K&N panel filter.

Also is there any point changing the headers while leaving the rest of the exhaust stock? and will the VAFC or SAFC give me any sort of power increase?

Thanks for the help
Cheers
Kris

revNhevN
12-09-2005, 10:26 PM
have a look here: http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19495

pgclee
12-09-2005, 10:37 PM
set your goals before you start modifying...

Aiming for Track or Drag or looks...
if not you'll end up spending more than you've expected...

1) extractor, catback, and air filter are some of the basic things...

2) then you might also do some cam phasing using after market adj camgear (use B16b cams), Spoon 2 layer gasket (0.45mm) and also you might consider 4.785 Final drive, and not to forget, a fuel reg will be needed...plus, a piggy back ECU (eg. Greddy emanage) or, Power FC will definately help...VAFC doesn't have that much of effect except it got good looks...

3) after all that, you might wanna consider handling - Camber kit, Arm, strut brace, lower arm, upper arm etc (eg. roll cage 6 point)...Brake calipers and slotted rotors, Braided hose)

After 1-3, you might just be happy with the car....if not,

4) Bigger Cams and other expensive parts that you might consider - you're talking bout 10k or more....but there is no point you wanna come to this stage...haha..too much money involved...but if you have, why not?

anyway, thats my opinion...it shows the potential a Honda will be, with little hassle...just that, you need to find the right person to do the right task...not some doggy job...

if you are in sydney, you might wanna look for adrian...i heard he's reliable...

EGB16A
15-09-2005, 02:20 PM
I don't neccessarily agree with advising someone to upgrade to to b16b cams and spoon head gasket just to find out if they are happy with the performance. While b16b cams are considered an upgrade in some instances, there are certainly other, possibly better options available for not much more.

BTW, i've heard good things about the hondata s100.... its cheap too

as for headers, its seems like one step forward and 2 steps back by keeping the standard exhaust.

my 2c

ian
15-09-2005, 02:24 PM
breathing mods? point no.1 as per pgclee :thumbsup: .......good inhale and exhale.........for starters.

bennjamin
15-09-2005, 03:29 PM
for any NA car ( stock or modded) IMO go get a lightweight flywheel and HD clutch at teh same time - very good response mod !

[[d a n n y]]
15-09-2005, 04:09 PM
i would do the exhast and the intake mods first..
and then upgrade clutch..and flywheel

sydteg21
15-09-2005, 10:59 PM
I/H/E always first,then internal like cam ,IM......

Encor3
15-09-2005, 11:52 PM
I/H/E always first,then internal like cam ,IM......
Intake - Apexi Airfilter is a good choice
Headers- Xforce for the price and quality i dont think you could do better unless you go get mugen or TODA
Exhaust - i guess this is personal preference whether you like the twin loop system or not, loud or soft, etc but theres a sticky in the civic forum so check it out and welcome :wave:

h22a accord
17-09-2005, 10:45 PM
I/H/E
cams
hondata

you will notice an increase in power and the way its delivered.

kris_
18-09-2005, 11:49 AM
where can I get a Hondata? Does anyone have any info on them?

h22accord
20-09-2005, 04:22 PM
HONDATA IN AUSTRALIA
JAMES is based in Melbourne he,s our aussie distributor
he,ll tell you all you need no,mobile 0417875785.

kOncept
20-09-2005, 04:44 PM
Headers- Xforce for the price and quality i dont think you could do better unless you go get mugen or TODA
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

[[d a n n y]]
20-09-2005, 05:09 PM
say ing that X force is cheap so
u wont get any good bankg for bucks unless u go for the high end stuff

h22accord
20-09-2005, 06:28 PM
:wave: Just got e-mail through oz honda from danny saying that i said [say ing that X force is cheap so
u wont get any good bankg for bucks unless u go for the high end stuff].
Man where did i say that ,your thoughts are yours ,what the f--k are you on about, just checked your info on your car so you say [FUJITSUBO exhaust,NISMO cat,TEIN suspension ect,ect] man that,s realy cheap gear your running.

lerroy
05-10-2005, 09:09 PM
mate speak to Adrian/james all the guys that know about hondas

they all say X-force are cheap and not gonna give you much of a gain

if your chasing power do it right toda headers etc...

and yes check my vb i have xforce stuff and i wish i hadnt now its a matter of spending more money to rectify my mistake

mini_s2000
05-10-2005, 09:22 PM
i've found that simple breathing and tuning mods are vtec engines favorite mods!

mj3610
06-10-2005, 12:18 AM
^^^ i'd have to agree, air intake and full exhaust systems are hondas best friends.

Paul1985
06-10-2005, 12:36 AM
i agree with a couple early on in the thread...
I/H/E and the HD clutch + Lightened flywheel (maybe exedy and toda).. i would rather buy genuine I/H/E myself.. thats just me though, i like to have the best of everything :D

Then after that if u wanna mod further.. get something like a Hondata ECU and then go from there.

BLKCRX
06-10-2005, 08:10 AM
Hey Kris my NSW dealers for Hondata can be found here, if you have any questions feel free to ask me or call me on 0417 875 785

http://www.hondatech.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=219

We get massive gains from tuning the lil b16 they tune up very nicely, the engine also responds very nicely to intake and exhaust modifications, if you need any help just ask

Regards James

tRipitaka
06-10-2005, 10:17 AM
what do u mean by massive gains..
what are the figures of stock vs after-tune..

MoDCoN
06-10-2005, 10:35 AM
what do u mean by massive gains..
what are the figures of stock vs after-tune..

yeah james? pls give us more info on this delightful sounding project... is it worth running the hondata on a stock engine? how about the d series? cos it seems like you know how to maximise the engines potential? i've already said thgis looks to be one of the first mods ill do...

asiansquad
06-10-2005, 11:48 AM
does high flow cats make much of a difference?

wynode
06-10-2005, 12:08 PM
*moved to the civic section*

I suggest you read the bang for buck thread in this forum (stickied)