PDA

View Full Version : stupid question

michael_antoi
13-09-2005, 11:23 AM
this might be a stupid question but, wouldn't it be more efficient to have the intake manifold facing the front of the engine bay rather than it being at the back and having pipes run to the front of the bay??

i dunno....

saxman
13-09-2005, 02:18 PM
maybe... that's not exactly something that can easily changed though...

BiGANG
13-09-2005, 02:43 PM
i believe so..

the british touring cars do this to their cars for a reason so i guess there has to be some advantage to it. I saw it in the accord touring car as well (in a photo).

saxman
13-09-2005, 03:42 PM
i believe so..

the british touring cars do this to their cars for a reason so i guess there has to be some advantage to it. I saw it in the accord touring car as well (in a photo).
that or it was using a k series engine which has the intake manifold in the front and the exhaust in the rear?

bennjamin
13-09-2005, 03:44 PM
also...take into consideration the intake runner length drastically affects the engines running...( relevant to torque etc ive basically read - )

ProECU
13-09-2005, 03:46 PM
This is not always true.

Example: There is a pressure drop at the firewall side of the engine bay, which causes a vacuum effect for a ITB setup.

BiGANG
13-09-2005, 04:39 PM
the british touring cars are fairly restricted from what i have read. they have to use same motor they came with i think.. capacity cannot be more than 2l, they cannot have more than 300hp or something like that.. some of this info could be wrong, i dont follow it i just read an article somewhere and found it interesting.. but i think it was a h22a motor in the accord with reduced capacity.

michael_antoi
13-09-2005, 05:36 PM
theoretically ( I assume this isn't actually possible), would it be possible to do an engine conversion with the engine reversed in order to maximise the intake?

saxman
14-09-2005, 06:43 AM
theoretically ( I assume this isn't actually possible), would it be possible to do an engine conversion with the engine reversed in order to maximise the intake?
sure... you'd need a custom transmission and you'd have to spin the motor in the opposite direction though. and I'm still not even convinced you'd really be maximizing any sort of intake charge

Illegal
14-09-2005, 07:34 AM
you might as well make the internals of the motor move the same direction as the k at that point. It wasnt until the K that honda started making their engines spin in the same direction as the majority of the other manufacturers anyway as far as I know

saxman
14-09-2005, 08:02 AM
youw ould have to make the engine spin backwards to work that way... it can be done though...

really not worth it at all to move the intake a foot forward

hoonda
14-09-2005, 09:29 PM
from a practical perspective...

it would be f@kn hot in the cabin if your exhaust manifold was only 1 foot away! (which it would have to be if intake manifold was at front..)

in commercially produced cars the discomfort in the cabin would outweigh a million to one any performance benefit of the setup you suggest..
even in track cars, surely most drivers would get too hot, esp in full race suit, if they had to sit next to the exhaust manifold. (and remenber, heat proofing is heavy, so that would negate the increase in engine output anyway)

Illegal
15-09-2005, 12:06 AM
from a practical perspective...

it would be f@kn hot in the cabin if your exhaust manifold was only 1 foot away! (which it would have to be if intake manifold was at front..)

in commercially produced cars the discomfort in the cabin would outweigh a million to one any performance benefit of the setup you suggest..
even in track cars, surely most drivers would get too hot, esp in full race suit, if they had to sit next to the exhaust manifold. (and remenber, heat proofing is heavy, so that would negate the increase in engine output anyway)

Not really. All the friends I have with k swaps in their eg's and ek's are fine.