PDA

View Full Version : civic and driving light question

shaun1982
13-09-2005, 05:32 PM
hey guys i jave a 94 civic sedan, and i wanna put fog lights, i went to autobarn, and i saw driving lights for 60-70 bucks, then i went to super cheap auto, and i saw smaller ones which i would prefer, cause the one in autobarn looks abit to big for the vents of the bumperbar, in supercheap, its under 30bucks, small round ones, im not sure about the wattaged, i'll go back 2morrow and cheap but is there really any difference, the one from autobarn is blue and 1 from supercheap is clear, i dont mind clear, i'll just put a clear blue globe if i can, and with the extra seeing distance, if it can give abit more thats alright, im kinda on abudget and im thinking about getting the supercheap ones, but they dont include the wirings and relay and switch. but the $60-70 autobarn ones do,

also is it easy to do, and do i have to remove my front bar or what, its a stock bar,

please any feedback

civiceg9
13-09-2005, 06:48 PM
Get the autobarn ones, u will need the wiring and switches.
The cheap one falls aparts and the lens of the fog is not thick enough as u have 2 remember u can get hit by stones.

It will give u just light around the front of your car. Thats the main purpose of fog.

shaun1982
13-09-2005, 07:06 PM
yeah, thanks, but im thinking, if i do get them, can i just wire the lights to my parker lights, instead of going through the firewall and connecting a switch, i dont wanna go through all that hassle,

and if i can, do i just join it to the wires of the parkers and do i still have 2 connect to the battery or will the parker wires have enough power to power up the parkers and fog lights

and also, is there differencees between fog and riving lights or r they the same, cause the supercheap and autobarn ones are called driving lights, and are they illegal,

Sitwy
13-09-2005, 09:23 PM
for safety reason you should have a rely to connect in the wiring of fog light....it is not that hard to find a hole from the firewall on EG civic....there should have one just on the left of the brake master clinder......

nexace
13-09-2005, 10:32 PM
I don't find much difference with them on unless it's really dark.

That's speaking from experience with CRV and Euro ones. Usually I just drive with them off.

shaun1982
13-09-2005, 10:35 PM
y, what would happen if i just connect it on to the parking lights, is it easy to connect the relay, and how do i connect it to the battery, do i need a fuse between the battery and relay,

Sitwy
13-09-2005, 10:36 PM
I don't find much difference with them on unless it's really dark.

That's speaking from experience with CRV and Euro ones. Usually I just drive with them off.

I agree of that.....it only look nice from ppl eyes......doesn't make much different

Sitwy
13-09-2005, 10:41 PM
y, what would happen if i just connect it on to the parking lights, is it easy to connect the relay, and how do i connect it to the battery, do i need a fuse between the battery and relay,

that will be good if you got some idea on electrical......I prefer you buy a package ( light with all wiring, fuse and rely)....I personally not quite sure to connect the fog night to parking light.
but what I did is connect positive to battery --> fuse--> rely --> switch--> and the black wire to the body of your car....need to make sure you get good connect....
( firstly disconnect your negative ) SAFETY FOR YOU

but I prefer you get it to someone qualify to do it...it doesn't cost u much...

civiceg9
14-09-2005, 12:10 AM
I connected to the parkers and have a switch to turn them on and off. (cops sometime as me to turn it off, so have to obey the law lol :D)
but my kit came with everything, switches, wires, realy, fuse everything but cost me $100 but there are extremly nice and bright my one.

**Ghost**
14-09-2005, 12:28 AM
get a "Matrix" one for l;ike 80 bucks and u'll get a switch as well... good as it gives real option to have them on/off

keric_02
15-09-2005, 08:25 PM
hey, hav a look one ebay, there's sometimes oem ones for sale and they will fit too... also i'd go check the wreckers, fog lights look dodgey if they're not specifically made for your car...

Keepleft
23-09-2005, 02:15 PM
An older thread, but one which I'll answer....

Supercheap and various other autoshops often sell 'driving lights' which by design are actually front fog lights (or vice versa).

It is up to you the shape you desire.

How to tell if the product is actually a front fog light:

* Look for a CODE on the lens, this will bear an E mark, example "E13" above or near that will be the designation "02B". It is the "B" or "b" on the lens that tells you the lamps design and world compliance function.

If the lamp bears the E mark it will be ADR compliant.

A 'dedicated driving light' will bear the E mark and the designation "HR", here, the "R" is relevant for driving lamp. (H = halogen).

Front fog lights so E marked and sold with a blue lens give a 'white' look, slightly whiter than a clear lens halogen counterpart. The 'blue' can be considered a styling exersize.

Not all front fog lights in design bear an obvious bulb shield, the trick usually is with the parabola. (A non compliant marked lamp with a bulb sheild will most certainly be a front fog light).

Generally, avoid lamps not bearing an E mark or SAE markings used in the North American market. An SAE mark for front fog lights is vis "SAE-F-XX. The "F" or "f" is relevant for front fog light. A "Y" or "y" represents driving lamp.

REAR FOG LIGHT: The lens will bear the E code "f00" or "F00". I recommend the rear fog light as your primary defence against rear-end collisions in poor visibility conditions, ahead of a front fog light install.

Vivski
24-09-2005, 01:52 AM
Fog lights = for fog. Pointed down towards the road, good for fog, useless for anything else. If you regularly drive in fog, get fog lights.

Driving lights = for night driving. If you want more power from the lights, get driving lights. Hook 'em up so they only come on when you use high beam and get the kind that suit the lighting you want. There are several different types from short-range to rally lights, spread light and pencil beams. It all depends on what your lights are currently lacking.

Rear fog light. I really hate these things. People put 'em on when driving around town oblivious to the fact that they're blinding/distracting the driver behind them.

Just for a bit of extra punch and a nicer colour light, I'd get Phillips H4 replacement bulbs from Autobarn. They're cheap, give brighter light, better tone and dont blind the poor drivers coming in the other direction.

If it's just for cosmetic reasons, got whatever you like. Just dont turn them on in the city and make sure they're directed properly. :p

It might just be me, but I'd get them professionally installed. Or at least installed by someone who knew what they were doing... aka not me. I'd prefer not to be blowing globes every couple of weeks.

Keepleft
26-09-2005, 08:27 PM
Vivski wrote: "Rear fog light. I really hate these things. People put 'em on when driving around town oblivious to the fact that they're blinding/distracting the driver behind them".

I go along with what you've said, and say the same actually in relation to most items in your post, but in relation to the rear fog light subject, I suggest drivers consider these, as does the European Transport Division, as 'the primary defence against rear-end collisions under poor visibility conditions'.

Blame the driver, not the light.

In effect, one should first consider a rear fog light before a set of front! Which are worthwhile in any case for any driver.

One of the reasons why the Australian market, American, NZ and a whole host of nations have the glare-behaviour problems with rear fogs is that for many years of their being operational on vehicles in use; existing driver training training manuals had absolutely no OR inadequate mention of them. Little wonder then complaints of glare.

This is changing, rapidly, and not just in relation to the rear fog light.

The matter is not helped by their typical OPTIONAL nature in the design rules of each nation, outside that of the EU where they are mandatory per a 'directive' issued with the ECE Regulation 38. Front fog lights are optional in all markets.

Education takes time, it would help if operational highway patrol would make greater effort at this education, to date, all driver handbooks now mention when rear fog lights may be used. It's just some do so more clearly.

V - I've added rear fog lights to police vehicles and a young g/f's new CRV Sport recently, see 'other Hondas' section.

Update: Take this link regarding a recent QLD fog crash:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/items/200509/1462935.htm?queensland

Regards.