PDA

View Full Version : cruise control on manual euro

GYPO2C
14-09-2005, 11:10 AM
ive noticed with my cruise control that when going up hills it holds the speed very well, but when going down hill, it will decelerate for a moment, but then its almost like it lets go and the speed just gains down the hill.
i was wondering if this is normal, as another friend of mine owns a euro and he believes it holds the speed even down large more lengthy hills?
may it also have something to do with which gear i am in?

aaronng
14-09-2005, 11:57 AM
Depends on the gear you are in. The cruise control only uses the accelerator. So when you are going downhill at the speed you set in, the cruise control will fully release the throttle, and have to rely on engine braking to slow you down.

BiLL|z0r
14-09-2005, 11:57 AM
Might be because it's manual. I have an Auto 05 and it holds the speed very well up and down hills. When going down you can feel it braking to keep the speed the same, great for speed traps on hills.

GYPO2C
14-09-2005, 12:03 PM
Depends on the gear you are in. The cruise control only uses the accelerator. So when you are going downhill at the speed you set in, the cruise control will fully release the throttle, and have to rely on engine braking to slow you down.

so based on that it would prob mean that if u are sitting in a higher rev, it will pull the car up for a longer time than if you are sitting in a lower rev range....
only reason im asking now is because my car is going for its first 1000km on in a few days and im wondering if its something i should bring up to them or not...

and i believe the auto euro would probably hold it better because it can actually shift down the gear...

euro1978
14-09-2005, 12:44 PM
and i believe the auto euro would probably hold it better because it can actually shift down the gear...

Yes.

I don't really understand why you guys are using cruise control on 'hilly' roads I have only used it on the freeway myself.

GYPO2C
14-09-2005, 01:12 PM
Yes.

I don't really understand why you guys are using cruise control on 'hilly' roads I have only used it on the freeway myself.

well when im cruising to places like wollongong, its freeway but still extremely hilly...

aaronng
14-09-2005, 07:26 PM
so based on that it would prob mean that if u are sitting in a higher rev, it will pull the car up for a longer time than if you are sitting in a lower rev range....
Hmm, I'm not too sure what you mean. But basically because you're in a lower gear, there will be more engine braking due to gearing. i.e. if you let the accelerator go at the same speed in both 4th and 6th, you'll slow down faster if you are in 4th. So imagine your cruise control doing the same thing, it lets go the accelerator in 6th but because it is downhill, it will pick up speed because of insufficient engine braking. If you were in the same position in 5th, the car would tend to slow down if the cruise control let go of the accelerator. So in order to maintain the speed in hilly areas, all the cruise control has to do is accelerate if it is too slow, and release the accelerator to slow down if it is downhill. I'm not sure why the Euro doesn't have braking tied to the cruise control as well, as a 2000 Nissan Maxima's cruise control is and can brake on its own! I guess it was a safety reason.

only reason im asking now is because my car is going for its first 1000km on in a few days and im wondering if its something i should bring up to them or not...
To me, it is normal. But if you feel that it's not normal, you can tell them and see what they think. I think the most important is your peace of mind :)

Yup! That's right!

Ferrarista
14-09-2005, 07:28 PM
im always on the cruise contol because i do country runs for my job, your right down hill it doesnt really slow down..it tries though.

PNR888
14-09-2005, 09:30 PM
I'm not sure why the Euro doesn't have braking tied to the cruise control as well, as a 2000 Nissan Maxima's cruise control is and can brake on its own! I guess it was a safety reason.

Are you sure Cruise control can be apply brake automatically? I never own a Nissan before, but all the cars I have came across don't have cruise control that can apply to brake to maintain the speed in down hill situation. :confused:
Coz as soon brake pedal is depressed, the cruise control is dis-engaged.

Maybe nissan has different system .

aaronng
14-09-2005, 09:44 PM
Are you sure Cruise control can be apply brake automatically? I never own a Nissan before, but all the cars I have came across don't have cruise control that can apply to brake to maintain the speed in down hill situation. :confused:
Coz as soon brake pedal is depressed, the cruise control is dis-engaged.

Maybe nissan has different system .
Yup, this one can. You can see the brake pedal being pressed down on its own! Like a ghost car! LOL